SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#237920 - 07/12/08 07:31 AM Roland G70
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
How many folks here still own or play a G70? Did Roland ever replace it? For the right price I thought I might find a used one and give it a try. What is the situation with 3rd party styles? I got rid of my Korg PAX1 because of the limited style support.

Hammer

#237921 - 07/12/08 08:35 AM Re: Roland G70
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Hammer
Not the most popular of Roland keyboards worldwide, but those that have them tend to hang onto them as they are a cracking live sounding board, (Make sure it has or update to OS2 or above to really hear it sing) so it is seldom that they come on the used market. (There almost as rare as a Wersi when it comes to used instruments, with their owners just as tenacious)
Styles from the E series can be used, and there are plenty of 3rd party styles available. (Until Wersi introduced the OAA, (Using its own styles NOT the Yamaha style play capability) the Roland styles were always my favourite out of all the manufactures)
Hope this helps

Bill

#237922 - 07/12/08 08:42 AM Re: Roland G70
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Hi Hammer
I just traded my PA-800 for a G70. I found the Korg to be good in many ways, but the G70 is more suited to my needs in many areas, including styles. There has been no replacement I know of, since you can't really call the E-80 a replacement, having the same engine.

Fran and Diki are the two prominent members, and am sure they will chime in.

Bernie

#237923 - 07/12/08 08:51 AM Re: Roland G70
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
While OS2 was a major upgrade that made the G70 fairly good, OS3 fine tuned the styles and tones to make it great. It is fairly easy however, to download OS3 if you get one with OS2.

Bernie

#237924 - 07/12/08 11:54 AM Re: Roland G70
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
It's a very live sounding, very heavy, very much a "player's" keyboard - there's none of the karaoke features, mp3 playback, any of that stuff - with by far the best sounding piano (IMO) in any arranger, some very live sounding drums, a great B3 sim and a nice easy to operate OS.

If you want to edit, create or assemble your own styles, it's on-board tools are about the best, it's SMF playback is probably as good as it gets (it's Roland, after all!) and the SMF editing tools are again by far the easiest and best in the business.

It's built like a tank, weighs like one , has what a large number here admit is possibly the best feeling plastic semi-weighted action on the planet (never played better, myself), a very easy to use color touch-screen, and just about any sound you need...

Some people love them, some hate them. I think, primarily, that most of the 'haters' are those coming from Yamaha's, which have an utterly different 'sound', an utterly different OS, and different general direction, IMO. But if a 'live' sounding, rather than 'CD-like' keyboard is what you are after, this one should be high on your list.

Now, here's the stuff that most owners won't tell you..! No multi-pads, no audio recording, did I say heavy? No synchronized SMF and style playback (but who uses that much?), no break/fill (but a break), and here's the real difference... In all honesty, the guitars on it are not quite as good as Yamaha and Korg. They are good enough, but nowhere near as realistic as Yamaha's Mega guitars. If really good guitars in the style are your MAIN priority (more than a good piano or good drums), then possibly a T2 or S900 might work better, if you can work with a 61.

So... no it's not perfect (don't let anyone tell you anything is that!), but it has a sound all it's own (plenty of factory and user demos out there to listen - go to Roland-arranger.com for a large collection) and, if you find it suits you, trust me, you won't be getting rid of yours for a while!

I do a combination of solo, duo and full live band playing, and I have to admit that the G70 is by far the best thing I've ever played that covers all the bases. Good enough for a solo, maybe not the best, but very close, and punchy and ballsy enough to not get buried in a live band situation. Easy to operate on stage, and with FantomX and VK-1 quality sounds that need no apologizing for in a 'real band' situation.

3rd party styles abound. Admittedly, perhaps not as many as Yamaha, but still FAR in excess of Korg. Plus a few good commercial style makers, notably MidiSpot, with styles that rival the factory ones. Plus, as I pointed out at the start, of all the arrangers out there, this one is the easiest to edit, create and re-assemble your own styles. Making it easy only encourages you to try, and that's half the battle!

Only you can decide for yourself if the G70 suits you, but there is enough online for at least a decent impression about the sound. I have a feeling that, because there is no replacement model for it (yet), it ought to hold it's used value for quite a while, so you shouldn't take a bath on it if you buy used, and decide it isn't for you.

Best of luck...

#237925 - 07/12/08 12:27 PM Re: Roland G70
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
AMEN!!!

#237926 - 07/14/08 05:56 PM Re: Roland G70
Dnj Offline

Ian just wondering if you could elaborate a bit more in your demo of teh G70/E80...I wasnt aware that you finaly got the chance to play one?.....

Ian Wrote:...." I have to agree with you, Snazzy....touch screens are not my choice either...as good as Roland and Korg allegedly make them, they still provide an extremely poor interface compared to the screens on the Yamahas.

I played a G70 for about a week, as a friend left it with me whilst on vacation...other than a great piano sound, and a nice feeling keybed, it was substandard to the Tyros1/2 in every other way, especially the OS.

The touch screen was a real pain...no feedback at all...and you need a tactual response to make things go smoothly, especially whilst in the midst of playing

The E-80 I tried at the local music store was no better...in fact my inexpensive S900 has a better sound than the E-80 and the G70 when played through the same sound system...those exclusive to Yamaha SA and Mega voices are in a class by themselves...AND the OS is much more intuitive."
Ian

#237927 - 07/14/08 06:22 PM Re: Roland G70
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Ian just wondering if you could elaborate a bit more in your demo of teh G70/E80...I wasnt aware that you finaly got the chance to play one?.....

[/B]

Yep...I mentioned this in a previous post on SZ a few months ago.

I had a G70 for over a week...one with the latest OS and expertly tweaked by the owner who previously owned a G1000.

I like the Yamaha sound...it's that simple...I like smooth and compressed CD quality over the Roland's "live" sound....just my preference.

My friend Danny eventually wanted to sell/trade the G70 for something lighter and with built in speakers.

He was interested in the S900, and also the Korg PA-800...he managed to get to try the latter whilst on a business trip to Toronto(they don't carry Korg arrangers locally) and eventually ended up with the PSR-S900 which he still has and is quite happy with it.

We each "know" what we want to hear...Yamaha has that sound for me.

I really disliked the touch screen...again, just my own preferences...may be the bee's knees for someone else, but the lack of tactile feedback was something I couldn't warm up to.

Not to mention the weight, which was needlessly excessive in my opinion...but they are a few who can live with it because they want/need the things about the instrument that they feel are important for their type of playing and music.

Different strokes...

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 07-14-2008).]

#237928 - 07/14/08 06:25 PM Re: Roland G70
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Diki, that was a great summary of the G70. All I can say is it is heavy?

#237929 - 07/14/08 06:39 PM Re: Roland G70
zuki Offline

Ian,

I find the PA800 touchscreen a very useful, very responsive and an easy to use tool. It works like a charm and is quick in live play. Wouldn't trade it for any other. There are soooo many incredible features on this board

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online