SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#233791 - 05/06/08 08:00 PM Do You SIT or STAND when you Perform & Why?
John DiLeo Offline

Hi,

I'm trying to decide which way I want to go stand or sitting. I keep trying both ways at home for about an hour at a time as I get ready to try playing out in a few months when I'm ready.
After an hour my ankles start to hurt.....
I cant imagine standing & playing for a four hour job with out having leg problems.
What are you people doing out there & what are the benefits of each or downfalls.?

Thank You

#233792 - 05/06/08 08:24 PM Re: Do You SIT or STAND when you Perform & Why?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Both - I use an adjustable 'throne' seat at a height that allows me to 'rest' my butt on it in a half sitting/standing position ... the kb is at a height that also allows me to stand when I want ...
I KNOW the kb is NOT at the most ergonomically correct position, but it doesn't seem to be hurting me in any way ...
ESPECIALLY when I walk away from it while it is still playing ...NOT!!!!!
t.

#233793 - 05/06/08 08:33 PM Re: Do You SIT or STAND when you Perform & Why?
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Like Tony, I both sit and stand.

For dinner music, always sit. During dance sets I stand as the music moves me...or the crowd gets going. Uptempo numbers, almost always stand.

To do both, your KB stand and stool have to be the right height to accommodate both.
Eddie

#233794 - 05/06/08 08:46 PM Re: Do You SIT or STAND when you Perform & Why?
zuki Offline

I always stand, but I do almost 100% 1-hour shows. If it's sets, I still stand. I prefer to sing this way and move around to goof with the crowd.

I sit at home when practicing

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#233795 - 05/06/08 09:15 PM Re: Do You SIT or STAND when you Perform & Why?
chony Offline

Loc: New York
I used to do both - sitting by dinner music and standing by dance, but now I stand the whole time - even for 6 hour jobs. It doesn't matter what height I put the keyboard, when I sit, my back and shoulders start to hurt after an hour. Instead, I make sure to sit down during the breaks.

#233796 - 05/06/08 10:11 PM Re: Do You SIT or STAND when you Perform & Why?
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by chony:
It doesn't matter what height I put the keyboard, when I sit, my back and shoulders start to hurt after an hour.

Hi Chony

I can tell you from experience playing and teaching that that complaint only means one thing, and that is that you were sitting using bad posture. You were hunching over. A persons got to sit erect and have the stool and keyboard at the right height or all kinds of things can happen, including carpel tunnel.

Best
Scott
http://ScottLMusic.com

#233797 - 05/07/08 01:14 AM Re: Do You SIT or STAND when you Perform & Why?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
As a singer, I do much better standing, and I believe the showmanship is better too. A background situation is fine for sitting...looks very musical and professional, but takes you down to the audience level....something I try to avoid when I'm on stage.
My approach is to feature myself, and be as visual as I am audible. Standing allows me to move and use body language to interact with the clients, and if you move enough, you won't get sore!

Sitting is actually much more stressfull for me than standing ... then again, I do have a small basketball in my lap at all times!

#233798 - 05/07/08 01:41 AM Re: Do You SIT or STAND when you Perform & Why?
Bachus Offline

Because i use a lot of pedals 8 switches, 2 piano peddals and two volume controllers, i prefer to sit...

I also had the same problem chony describes, but after changing my position behind the keys and adjusting the height of my keys it went remarkably better..

But if i had to stand i'd use something like this...

Rudess_rotating_keyboard_stand

http://keyszone.boards.net

#233799 - 05/07/08 01:46 AM Re: Do You SIT or STAND when you Perform & Why?
trevorjohn Offline

Loc: Cambridge United Kingdom
I would agree with those who say that standing is much better if you are a singer/entertainer but - alas - when you get into your 80's it is no longer an option unless you are prepared to accept the humiliation of having members of the audience coming to pick you up!!

Oh! Happy days.

Trevor

#233800 - 05/07/08 02:57 AM Re: Do You SIT or STAND when you Perform & Why?
chony Offline

Loc: New York
What's the proper way to sit? Where should the keyboard be in relation to the body. Any diagrams?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online