SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#232555 - 04/18/08 04:58 PM Anyone use an Arranger KB to ONLY Play ORIGINAL Tunes PROFESSIONALY on stage
John DiLeo Offline

is ther anyone here making a living playing original songs ON AN ARRANGER KB? If so I'd like to hear about you experiences.

#232556 - 04/18/08 08:17 PM Re: Anyone use an Arranger KB to ONLY Play ORIGINAL Tunes PROFESSIONALY on stage
zuki Offline

Wow - It would be tough to play performances with originals only. I have a few, but not for an hour show. That said, I wish I had time to develop more original tunes and have thought about that often.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#232557 - 04/18/08 08:28 PM Re: Anyone use an Arranger KB to ONLY Play ORIGINAL Tunes PROFESSIONALY on stage
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
I try to WRITE originals on my PA-1X (and did many on my old Roland VA-7 - wrote AND recorded - turned out great.

They're a great songwriting tool and it is THE reason I continue to buy arrangers (as opposed to Workstations/Synths).

(I know that wasn't the question, I just wanted to contribute in some way to the conversation...)

I think many people would either use a live band, or having written/recorded on their arranger would then play to the backing track and perhaps supplement with live musicians.

When we get our home studio completed, that's the way we'll do it - backing tracks with as much "live play" as possible.

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#232558 - 04/18/08 11:32 PM Re: Anyone use an Arranger KB to ONLY Play ORIGINAL Tunes PROFESSIONALY on stage
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Hellboy, I have even entered song competitions using songs (originals) recorded using the PA1xPro and a PC running Sonar. And got reasonable feedback from the judges as well!!
As long as you are careful with what you use, they are a super studio tool.

Dennis

#232559 - 04/19/08 02:45 AM Re: Anyone use an Arranger KB to ONLY Play ORIGINAL Tunes PROFESSIONALY on stage
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
My guitarist writes, and we have performed a few originals, and are working on some more, but we don't do an entire show, yet. But we are working on a new album, and I hope some of them get into the act. Might be fun to do a few promotional shows!

Last full band I was full time with (and me and my guitarist are both from that) did whole shows of originals occasionally (when we had a new CD, usually!).

I back a few young songwriters, from time to time, and there we'll do all original. It isn't usually good money, but the opportunity to be creative and help shape something new is well worth it...

I use my arranger to try and play with MORE people, not less!

#232560 - 04/19/08 03:56 AM Re: Anyone use an Arranger KB to ONLY Play ORIGINAL Tunes PROFESSIONALY on stage
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I can't say from personal experience, but I would guess it would be hard to make a living playing tunes all night that no one in the audience knows. I think that whether it's on an arranger or not is irrelevant. JMO.

chas

#232561 - 04/19/08 02:38 PM Re: Anyone use an Arranger KB to ONLY Play ORIGINAL Tunes PROFESSIONALY on stage
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
I can't say from personal experience, but I would guess it would be hard to make a living playing tunes all night that no one in the audience knows. I think that whether it's on an arranger or not is irrelevant. JMO.

chas

Chas, I agree..It can be a death wish for performers..Very small venue or following compared to cover tunes..

#232562 - 04/19/08 02:44 PM Re: Anyone use an Arranger KB to ONLY Play ORIGINAL Tunes PROFESSIONALY on stage
John DiLeo Offline

But how do these solo artists get their start if not with originals? I guess you just have to keep going with YOUR originals and pay your dues & hope your discovered someday & people talk it up about your or you & take it from there? Word of mouth can do wonders.

#232563 - 04/19/08 03:06 PM Re: Anyone use an Arranger KB to ONLY Play ORIGINAL Tunes PROFESSIONALY on stage
zuki Offline

I'd say mix in your originals with the popular tunes and see what response they get - or market them somehow via a CD you can sell. Good luck

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#232564 - 04/20/08 02:00 AM Re: Anyone use an Arranger KB to ONLY Play ORIGINAL Tunes PROFESSIONALY on stage
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
You'd be surprised just how many venues there ARE for original music...

Now, admittedly, until you are signed, you either got to have a LOT of fans or lots of thirsty relatives before you are likely to make much money playing these joints!

But the thing is, most of these places are youngsters' hangouts. You've got to REALLY be interested in new music before you are ever likely to go to one... But you'd be surprised at how willing some of these young songwriters are to collaborate with older players who are willing to be simpatico with their style, and help them get more polished demos.

It's a lot of fun, and brings a certain air of legitimacy to your arranger use. It isn't JUST for playing Blue Moon, or In the Mood, y'know....

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online