SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#227263 - 02/17/08 10:42 PM Korg PA500 styles are just awful
rolandfan Offline

Loc: South Africa
I had a chance to try the Pa500 for a bit (and the s900). Korg styles sound basic and lacking. Intros and fill ins dont feel like they belong to the styles. Roland and Yamaha truly are the masters at well merged intros and endings and superior styles. PA500 sounds are impressive...if only the styles were better...

#227264 - 02/19/08 07:05 PM Re: Korg PA500 styles are just awful
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
yawn.....

#227265 - 02/19/08 10:48 PM Re: Korg PA500 styles are just awful
rolandfan Offline

*looks at the inside of your mouth when u yawn* hmm u might need a filling son* lol

#227266 - 02/20/08 04:56 AM Re: Korg PA500 styles are just awful
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
320 lousy programable styles?

I haven't heard any (Korg STILL has no demos)but I'm sure you meant that a few are not what you desire, and for that matter that's the case on most keyboards for all of us.

Anyway, you could be correct, so thanks for your opinion.

------------------
Larry
SynthZone Map

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#227267 - 02/20/08 05:27 AM Re: Korg PA500 styles are just awful
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I haven't tried a Korg arranger yet, but I can't imagine that all styles would be "awful".

If you are not into style programming/editing then the Yamaha styles seem to be best out of the box.

If you like to modify the instrument to suit yourself, I see no reason why the Korg could not be made to work well for each individual's tastes and needs.

Ian

#227268 - 02/20/08 10:42 AM Re: Korg PA500 styles are just awful
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I seem to remember the G70 being panned as 'awful' by the poorly-named Rolandfan when it first came out, too. Now here he is praising it (or at least part of it). I guess time can make your first impressions change...

So let's not get too worked up about this 'first impression' either!

About the only things that ARE objective on an arranger are OS features (though how we use them is subjective). But sound, and styles both can only be described subjectively.

Probably this wouldn't tweak the Korgies' noses so bad if the title just said 'I THINK the PA500 styles are awful'...

I happen to agree with him, though, particularly the way that fills work (for me, a far more important issue than Intro's and Endings I rarely use). But it IS an opinion...

#227269 - 02/20/08 11:36 AM Re: Korg PA500 styles are just awful
rolandfan Offline

What i didnt like about the g70 was the poor sounds... The g70 styles were ok...not as good as yamaha...but the korg styles just dont sound complex enough for me including the intros. I have experienced the same thing about 2 years ago when i tried the pa1x. Korgs sounds have always sounded very pleasant out of the box. I sold my tyros 1 a year ago. Moved to johannesburg. Got married recently. Ive decided to get a keyboard again. So its a choice between psr s900, pa500 and possibly pa800.. I thought id try a new brand this time...never owned a korg...but im scared of being disappointed if i buy a korg..and the psr s900 sounds better than my ex tyros 1.. Decisions..decisions.

#227270 - 02/20/08 12:55 PM Re: Korg PA500 styles are just awful
Diki Offline

Once again, opinion, disguised as fact...

Yes, SOME of the sounds in the G70 disappoint. Some don't (piano, rhodes, drums, B3 amongst many). SOME sounds disappoint in just about everything I've ever played, including WSs and arrangers. And the very sounds that disappoint ME, often are the favorite sounds of someone else...

What can all this possibly mean? That my opinion isn't FACT?

Or yours...?

#227271 - 02/20/08 03:11 PM Re: Korg PA500 styles are just awful
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
Didn't everybody pretty much agree that the g 70 was terrible until the first software update came out and fixed some problems,same with the pa800 you had to make sure you were testing the updated software. or am I thinking of a different board?
Maybe an update will cure the pa500

#227272 - 02/20/08 03:28 PM Re: Korg PA500 styles are just awful
Diki Offline

No... pretty much everyone that hated it still does, and those that liked it still do.

Same as most other things. I STILL hate tea, and love coffee after fifty years of trying!

The updates to the G70 never changed the SOUNDS (they are ROM only). They added some EQ and re-voiced the styles (first ones were a bit reverb-heavy), but in all fairness, it was never anything you couldn't do for yourself with some work (loathe as many are to make that effort!).

OS changes were another thing, but they made little difference to the sound. You could ALWAYS change that, now even more so, but far too many wanted it to sound perfect OOTB, and no two people's idea of perfect is the same! I always assume I'm going to have to re-voice and re-EQ anything I buy, so it never worried me...

It's strange, but there are some very enthusiastic recent buyers of the E60, which shares a LOT in common with the G70. Probably only the price of the G70 prevented them from being as enthusiastic when it first came out, and I agree it was overpriced (but I believe the T2 to be that in spades!). Perhaps if it had been in the mid $2k's and up, rather than mid $3k and up, peoples opinion of the sounds might have been different! It's funny how price changes our hearing...

But if you are too lazy to change a bunch of reverb levels, re-voice a few styles, re-work some OTSs, your choice of ANYTHING being perfect 'for you' gets pretty slim...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online