SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#226600 - 02/09/08 11:47 AM How do you play the arranger?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
This may be an old question, but ...

What I see on UTube and hear here and elsewhere leads me to believe the arranger is being used mainly as a rhythm section with the player playing a piano type left hand or left hand bass. I don't see or hear a lot of held chords or use of the IA chords, per se.

So, how do you use your arranger? What parts of a style do you use or stay away from. What kind of keyboard chord setting do you use? Do you use a 50-50 split or do you customize? Also, a lot of demos seem to be jazz, yet I never seem to be able to find that groove style. What types of styles do you use most often? And I guess, what linds of music do you use the arranger section for mostly? How often do you use full pianowith just the style percussion? ETC, Etc, etc.

dam, i shud hav spel chek'd

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 02-09-2008).]

#226601 - 02/09/08 12:29 PM Re: How do you play the arranger?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
For me, a little of everything! Whatever suits the song, or what I want to make the song do...

Some of it, just drums and then LH bass and RH whatever, some of it Pianostyle following my piano playing, usually with a fair amount of the ACC muted. Some of it LH chords, RH solo (in fact I LOVE to switch between these two modes on the fly). Some of it sequenced. Some of it, no machines at all (got to remind the audience you CAN play, from time to time!)...

That's the best thing about arrangers... whatever method you feel like, you CAN do it, unlike a WS. But, IMO, no one method works best for ALL situations, and I try really hard not to lock myself into one 'purist' method. The music is supposed to come first, not your 'favorite' method...

#226602 - 02/09/08 01:22 PM Re: How do you play the arranger?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
99% left hand chords, in fingered mode. Right hand fills and rides.
1% midi files.
I play all kinds of music, despite my reputation for Country. A lot of 50's, 60's 70's pop and rock. A lot of country. Some New Orleans style jazz and some blues. Some standards. Everything from Sinatra to Willie.
DonM

#226603 - 02/09/08 01:46 PM Re: How do you play the arranger?
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO

[This message has been edited by adimatis (edited 02-09-2008).]

#226604 - 02/09/08 02:18 PM Re: How do you play the arranger?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
99% left hand chords, in fingered mode. Right hand fills and rides.
1% midi files.
I play all kinds of music, despite my reputation for Country. A lot of 50's, 60's 70's pop and rock. A lot of country. Some New Orleans style jazz and some blues. Some standards. Everything from Sinatra to Willie.
DonM

Ditton on everything Don said other than the finger mode--I use multi-finger.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#226605 - 02/09/08 03:32 PM Re: How do you play the arranger?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Hey, Don... you got any good second line and parade style patterns for your arranger? It's the one thing I can't seem to find anywhere.

Funky Meters, Neville Bros., Professor Longhair type stuff...

Any good authentic zydeco, as well. And REAL cajun country if possible. You are up in that neck of the woods, aren't you?

I'd be obliged if you could turn me onto that stuff, if you have any. You are Yamaha, aren't you? I can convert those pretty easily...

You got to LOVE that Louisiana music!

#226606 - 02/09/08 04:28 PM Re: How do you play the arranger?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
I am a home player with a day job and so have limited time available to get really stuck in, also I come from an organ playing background and to be quite honest song specific, (And sophisticated styles) drive me round the bend, if I wanted that I would just stick a CD in the drive and play along with it.
Midi files I use to practice and I also use them to demonstrate particular features (Unlike the Pros on this site I just don’t have the time to put the work in, the day job is very involved) which my playing capabilities could not do.
As to playing, I am fairly flexible in the type of music; however I tend to stick to sustained chords, keeping the fingers between F to F on the lower split for all the chords.
Not exactly the most adventures I agree, but it helps me wind down after a day a work. (Assuming I get the time)

Bill

#226607 - 02/09/08 05:17 PM Re: How do you play the arranger?
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
I'm mainly a jazz-oriented player: swing,
latin grooves, bossa/samba, blues, and some
free association including classical, klezmer, etc. I NEVER use the full arrangements except at the end of a late set to get an already jumping audience juiced up even more, with some swing and/or latin big band riffs.

I use the bass/drum styles and on occasion play lh bass. I use full kb chord recognition, do not use my left hand to always outline chords..with bass inversion on the bass line usually is pretty much in right place. another reason not to use full arrangements: you are freed of having to hold
down the left hand just so. I used to use
on/off breaks a lot, but now i find if i just
knock the bass line off, it's a very effective break with just drums and of course
when you end the break the time is perfect.

I like to split on Ab or G2 mostly. i dont split on piano or rhodes. on my E60 there is
a 2nd lower to complement the bass lower.most
use it for strings. i put a drum set in there
and program the touchso when i hit key hard
it plays a drum kit sound..gives you a real
performance parameter supplementing the preset fills

------------------
Miami Mo

#226608 - 02/09/08 10:23 PM Re: How do you play the arranger?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Hey, Don... you got any good second line and parade style patterns for your arranger? It's the one thing I can't seem to find anywhere.

Funky Meters, Neville Bros., Professor Longhair type stuff...

Any good authentic zydeco, as well. And REAL cajun country if possible. You are up in that neck of the woods, aren't you?

I'd be obliged if you could turn me onto that stuff, if you have any. You are Yamaha, aren't you? I can convert those pretty easily...

You got to LOVE that Louisiana music!

I'll have to go through my library. I do some Cajun music, but I'm way up in the north where there are more Texans than Cajuns.
I'm sure I have a folder of them though.
DonM

#226609 - 02/09/08 11:26 PM Re: How do you play the arranger?
spalding Offline

Loc: Birmingham
I am a Gospel singer/songwriter and i use my arranger almost entierly in piano mode to accompany my own or others singing. so ita mINLY RnB/Funk/soul/jazz that i play. I always thin out the arrangement so that i might have just bass ,drums, and guitar later i might add strings or organ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online