SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#224744 - 01/19/08 12:48 PM MIDI keyboard controllers with Yamaha arrangers
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
I would like to be able to add one (or perhaps two) MIDI keyboard controllers to a Tyros 2, S900 and someday a T3.

I have successfully attached a MIDI pedalboard and MIDI keyboard controller to a T2, but have not found how to set its sounds, save its settings in a Registration etc.

Specifically, I want to add MIDI pedalboard, and a small MIDI keyboard, to make the T2 (and/or my S900) into a "portable organ". I did this for years with my Technics KN-6000 and KN-7000, and it was easy to do.

What I can't figure out is how to use the "extra" voices on Yamaha. The Yam manual says there are 4 "extra" voices or voice "slots" in addition to the usual Left, Right1, Right2, style parts, MIDI parts etc. I don't want to "steal" a RIGHT voice for the extra MIDI keyboard, but use another part.

I want it so that for example if I have a certain bass sound on the MIDI pedals, and say a certain Sax sound on the small MIDI keyboard, that those sounds stay there as I change a style variation etc. Also would like to be able to store settings for these voices in Registrations so I can all up a Registration and have my MIDI foot pedals and MIDI keyboard playing sounds (voices) that I chose when I set up the Registration.

Can this be done on the Yamaha arrangers?

Has anyone successfully done this?

Thanks!
Jim

#224745 - 01/19/08 12:53 PM Re: MIDI keyboard controllers with Yamaha arrangers
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Good post. I didn't know about the 4 other slots. I have used midi pedals using the R3 channel. I hope we can learn a lot from those that have done this.

#224746 - 01/20/08 03:37 AM Re: MIDI keyboard controllers with Yamaha arrangers
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Jim
Pop over to the Yamaha Club Web site in the UK http://www.yamaha-club.co.uk/go.php?action=page&pid=44 and have a look at the Regi Stick Plus for T2, as this includes all the combinations you mention, and which can be selected from a list, which means the T2 is automatically configured for you.
Hope this helps

Bill

#224747 - 01/20/08 04:56 AM Re: MIDI keyboard controllers with Yamaha arrangers
vagro Offline

Loc: Argentina
Hello Jim
First of all sorry for my english. Iīve been doing what you ask with my PSR 1500, my Midi pedalboard and other keyboards and itīs quite simple. You have to edit a Midi table in the arranger. In the RECEIVE section of the midi channel matching the pedalboard sending channel you select the part of the style you want it to play. I use the bass part and it will change the bass sound every time I change the style. That is what I want. If you want the pedalboard or midi controller to play a fixed sound/s you have to set the receiving channel/s in the arranger as SONG part. You can make your own selection of sounds for the controller/s in the arrangerīs mixing console (song part) and save it as a registration (select only SONG in the Registration Memory Contents if you donīt want to change anything else).For the pedalboard I recommend you set the bass recognition (on bass note) in the midi table (matching the pedal sending channel) to change the style bass note playing according to the note you touch in the pedal. These Yamaha arrangers have 32 channel simultaneus playing capabilities so you con make it play many more parts at a time (not only 2 or 3)using external controllers.
Iīve always wanted to recreate an organ using an arranger since organs are exctint in my country, or extremely expensive if I import one. If you donīt understand or have any question let me know.
Victor

Korg Pa3x 61 - Mediastation X76 - Yamaha Psr s900 - Korg Tr61 - Roland PK5A - NanoKontrol - Ensoniq SQ1 - Yamaha D85 organ

#224748 - 01/20/08 07:18 AM Re: MIDI keyboard controllers with Yamaha arrangers
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
I have occasionally looked at using a 76 key controller with my various PSRs.

Generally most controllers out there handle standard stuff well enough, and can send "fixed" system exclusive messages as well. Trouble is what I'd really like to do is program the controller to manipulate some settings that involve adjusting parameters within the SysEx strings (effects settings for example) and so far have found nothing that can do this.

#224749 - 01/20/08 07:21 AM Re: MIDI keyboard controllers with Yamaha arrangers
jimlaing Offline

Thanks for the responses - I'll give a few things a try! And thanks for the pointer to the Yamaha Club - seems like I need to join this group, as over time I will be migrating from a KN-7000 over to Yamaha keyboards.

Thanks again, all!
Jim

#224750 - 01/20/08 07:24 AM Re: MIDI keyboard controllers with Yamaha arrangers
jimlaing Offline

(Response

For MIDI messages (other than note on/off), I have successfully used a Peavey 1600x controller with my Technics keyboards. I program MIDI commands, from sipmle "Program Changes" to more complex SysEx codes, into the Peavey, and at the press of a button or move of a slider, it send these to a keyboard such as my KN-7000 or someday my PSR-S900.

Responding to:
>Generally most controllers out there handle standard stuff well enough, and can send "fixed" system exclusive messages as well. Trouble is what I'd really like to do is program the controller to manipulate some settings that involve adjusting parameters within the SysEx strings (effects settings for example) and so far have found nothing that can do this.

#224751 - 01/22/08 05:39 AM Re: MIDI keyboard controllers with Yamaha arrangers
MacAllcock Offline

Well spotted that man. I've just had a look at the Peavey web site and the description of "parameters" on the 1600x FAQ page (http://www.peavey.com/support/software/pc1600x_faq.cfm) describes exactly the sort of functionality I've been looking for.

#224752 - 01/22/08 05:40 AM Re: MIDI keyboard controllers with Yamaha arrangers
MacAllcock Offline

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online