SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#223335 - 12/24/07 07:24 AM Exciting news for the future
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Looks like Garritan is getting close to releasing its new GM soundest VST, as they now have the price of it on their web site, http://www.garritan.com/GEM.html no demos yet though.
The New Year should be interesting

Bill

#223336 - 12/24/07 10:22 AM Re: Exciting news for the future
pasadoble Offline

Loc: Portsmouth, England.UK
Hey Bill you got me there....I thought you were going to say that Wersi were going to release an affordable arranger...!

#223337 - 12/24/07 06:33 PM Re: Exciting news for the future
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Garritan appears to have some difficulties with arranging business things with NI and so are now planning to proceed with putting GEM on their Aria sample player. In my view this could take quite awhile. It seems like those who think they can do better than NI will find many significant challenges, e.g., East-West with their Play sample player. For us as customers competition can be a good thing. I for one would like to use sample players from one company for my total music system...oh well!!!

[This message has been edited by Frank L. Rosenthal (edited 12-24-2007).]

#223338 - 12/26/07 01:40 PM Re: Exciting news for the future
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I'm just curious, but do any of the players for software collections like this do the note 'bending' trick that all arrangers do to compensate for 'late' chord entry (you know, you play the right chord 1/16 late, and the arranger bends ALL of the 'wrong' notes from the previous chord to the 'right' ones without re-triggering them - it's what makes things smoother)?

Without this ability in the playback engines, I can't see how something like this is of much use to the arranger community other than some extra RH voices. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but maybe some need to realize this is not going to help the 'auto' part of the arranger (except drums and perc), probably the thing that needs it the most!

#223339 - 12/26/07 03:25 PM Re: Exciting news for the future
abacus Offline

Hi Diki
All Wersi instruments have had adjustable settings (Trigger, cancel, pad etc) for each acc track for years, so no problems with chord changes late or otherwise.
Regards

Bill

#223340 - 12/26/07 04:28 PM Re: Exciting news for the future
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
It's not the internal settings (and a more detailed description of those parameters would be fascinating) that I am concerned with, but when you use VSTi's, and their associated engines. The Wersi's engine doesn't play the samples, something like Kontact or Halion does the playback. How THOSE deal with the weird codes that arrangers deal out is what will spell out whether things like this can be more than just a RH sound source.

I believe it is one of the main reasons we haven't seen the 'all software' arranger, yet...

#223341 - 12/27/07 01:53 AM Re: Exciting news for the future
abacus Offline

Hi Diki
The VST plays the sound yes, but it is controlled by the OAS software, therefore if the notes have to be stopped and then retriggered to prevent dissonances, then the OAS software will tell the VST to stop playing the sound and then retrigger it.
I have included a link to the OAS 6 Programming guide (The version I still run) however I believe it is similar to OAS 7. (The trigger function has I believe been available since the launch in 2000, or at least OAS 4 (2002))
The OAA (Open Art Arranger) however takes the acc section beyond a whole new level.
The style section starts in chapter 10.
Hope this helps

Bill

http://www.4shared.com/file/33114991/3ed74219/Programmers_Guide-OAS-6.html

#223342 - 12/27/07 06:02 AM Re: Exciting news for the future
abacus Offline

Hi All
Cracking Virtual Trumpet here (No it’s not a soundfont) http://www.soundfonts.it/?a=read&b=25 if your into trumpets. (No samples either)
Interestingly all the sound generations used to create the Trumpet are available in the OAS 7 sound engine. (Programming it might be a different matter, but fingers crossed)
Enjoy

Bill

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online