SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#222011 - 11/24/07 10:46 PM PA800 Audio "Groove " Function for Pads & Styles
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
have any of the PA800 users tried creating a pad or style part via the "Groove" function.
Pretty amazing function. Finally worked out how to do it. ( sort of haahaa)

I actually used a Bossa drum rhythm wav file, part of the BIAB Real Drum collection.
Only tried it with 1 bar for the time being.
First up I tried it as a repeating pad. Syncs perfectly to a style . Tempo can be sped up or slowed down without loosing sync.
Next up I incorporated it into a style & replaced the existing midi drums. Again works very well. Just the 1 bar is rather boring , but I wanted to keep it as simple as possible while I was trying to work it all out.

Works a little bit like the sd1+ in that the sd can import a drum wav file & the wav file replaces the drums,
but with the PA800, the wav sample actually gets spliced into very short snippets, and these snippets are controlled by a miditrack, means you can actually alter the rhythm of the file when played back. Rather awesome.

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#222012 - 11/25/07 01:05 AM Re: PA800 Audio "Groove " Function for Pads & Styles
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Rikki,
congratulations!
An important difference between Ketron and Korg is that with the SD1 you are limited to monophonic loops, while Korg can use stereo waveforms as well. This feature really sets the PA-800/PA2-X Pro apart and I think that they can give also the forthcoming Audya a good run for its money.
Speaking of that, a BIG difference between Korg and Ketron is that Korg has the human and financial resources to develop this and other features much better than Ketron.

#222013 - 11/25/07 06:06 AM Re: PA800 Audio "Groove " Function for Pads & Styles
Dnj Offline

Rikki another great discovery!!!
Sounds like it could be very usefull for the right song for sure....people are finding how Deep the KORG arranger units really are, I know I am!

Thanx for sharing

#222014 - 11/25/07 08:45 AM Re: PA800 Audio "Groove " Function for Pads & Styles
tom moon Offline

Loc: Haddonfield, NJ, USA
wow, rikki, that could be a solution for me re that earlier post about midi drums from yamaha styles. I didn't realize the korg offered that kind of sampling capability -- theoretically I could sample the drums and multipads I need from the yamaha without having to do EMC-type conversion. that's really something to think about. is the sampler operation fairly straightforward? and does it store internally or on memory sticks (ie, is there a long load time)?

thanks...

tm

#222015 - 11/25/07 10:31 AM Re: PA800 Audio "Groove " Function for Pads & Styles
Dreamer Offline

Tom,
for more details about the sampling feature of the PA-800/PA2-X Pro you can download the manuals at korgpa.com (link here )
I suggest that you download the manuals for the Advanced Edit mode, since they are the only ones to deal specifically with this subject.
I had a look at them and actually it was one of the key factors in my decision to buy the PA2-X pro. In the past I had other arrangers with a sampler inside, like the Yamaha 9000 pro and the Ketron SD1, but in both cases the sampler was more or less a joke, compared with Akai or EMU. The Korg one, on the other hand, looks serious and has even an auto-loop finding feature (called "zero point") and the cross-fade function (to smoothen the junction point of a loop): both these feature were lacking in the 9000 pro and in the SD1 and indeed are typical of dedicated samplers (actually they make a great part of the difference between a real and a "wannabe" sampler).
Both Korg arrangers save the samples to the internal 30 Gb hard disk (standard in the PA2-X pro and optional on the PA-800).

#222016 - 11/25/07 10:41 AM Re: PA800 Audio "Groove " Function for Pads & Styles
Dnj Offline

Andrea,

Glad to hear you enjoying the Korg PA2x....
I keep finding new things every day on my Pa800.

#222017 - 11/25/07 10:42 AM Re: PA800 Audio "Groove " Function for Pads & Styles
Dreamer Offline

P.S.: the sample loading time of the PA2-X Pro is rather fast (much more than the Tyros 2).

Here are the data from Korg Germany:

Loading 128MB WITH PCM AUTOLOAD lasts 400sec (6:40)

loading 128MB separately (after booting) lasts 280 sec (4:40)

(link here

#222018 - 11/25/07 12:39 PM Re: PA800 Audio "Groove " Function for Pads & Styles
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
The more you look at those sample load times, the more you realize that something has gone seriously wrong with sampler designer's priorities.

What use is a LIVE sampler with such glacial load times? My ancient Kurzweil could manage 1MB/sec, well over twice as fast as these so-called 'state of the art' arrangers and workstations. Of all the features that make the difference between a REAL sampler and a 'wannabe', in a 'live' sampler, speed of loading should, IMO, be the most important. Fancy cross-fades and auto-looping aren't much use if you have to shut your show down for minutes at a time just to load them...

#222019 - 11/25/07 02:52 PM Re: PA800 Audio "Groove " Function for Pads & Styles
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Tom ,
I didn't actually do the sample.
I used a precorded audio loop from one of my BIAB Real drum Styles.

are you actually referring to sampling a individual instruments in a drum set or sampling the drum track of a style & creating an audio loop?

I really don't know anything about sampling, but what I managed to do ie slice the loop & save to pad or style was fairly straight forward.

I think it stores internally as part of the flash ram , I'm really not quite sure. All I know is it's there after the PA800 boots up. I think there's also a max of 64 mb's on the PA800. You'd need to double check.

This function I think is also only suitable for percussion & drum tracks & stuff that doesn't involve pitch change ie wouldn't be suitable for a guitar track which is reliant on chord changes, could work with sound effects like Donny's "Jingle Bells " if the correct audio loop could be found,

but if you're reffering to T2 pads like guitar or piano pads then no, the pa800 does timestretching, but not pitch shifting ( a far as I'm aware)

bestwishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tom moon:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online