SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#177918 - 10/13/07 12:37 PM Desperately needs help selecting a first keyboard
sweetshade Offline

Loc: Fayetteville, AR, USA
Hi, I've been a guitar/ piano player for several years, but now I'm ooking into a keyboard that would give me some relatively basic arranging capabilities so that I can get into songwriting. Obviously, this would just be for fun so I don't need anything ultra professional, and as I've really only worked with acoustic instraments, a lot of the details in product descriptions I've read don't mean much to me... but I have a feeling that when I get the board home they could prove pretty significant.

Basically, I'm just wondering if anyone has a suggestions for a good beginner's keyboard that would be relatively user friendly and could be bought for around $800 or less (or at least under $1000). I'd like something with a very readable display and a good piano sound as well as something I can experiment with and grow into.

I'm inclined towards a Roland or Yamaha but that's really just because I don't konw much about Korg or some of the other options. I've considered a GW7, EXR-5s (although I'm really not sure about that display), a PSR-s500 or 700. I would definitely also be open to an older model. Any advice anyone could give would be really appreciated! Thanks!

#177919 - 10/13/07 01:02 PM Re: Desperately needs help selecting a first keyboard
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I'd recommend the Yamaha PSR-s700 or a second hand PSR-3000.

Ian

#177920 - 10/13/07 01:25 PM Re: Desperately needs help selecting a first keyboard
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Why not just go to a store, and see what wows you and what doesn't?

Most here have some kind of agenda (Ian works as a clinician and demonstrator for Yamaha at the moment), and most here will tend to recommend the arranger brand they currently own (naturally!), so unbiased advice might be difficult to obtain.

Only YOU know what sound and styles you are likeliest to need, and nothing short of actually listening to them, playing them, to at least get a basic idea of whether what you hear in your head is do-able at the price point you can afford, will be useful, at first.

ANY of the main manufacturers make very adequate arrangers in your price range, including Yamaha. But only listening and playing them will make your mind up. Writing about sound is like dancing about mathematics. It's the wrong medium for a good description.

If you can't get to a store easily, all the manufacturers have sound demos on their websites... A visit to Musician's Friend or other internet retailer will give you a list of what arrangers are in your budget. Then a trip to the manufacturer's website will give you a cursory impression of the sound. After that, and maybe you have narrowed down your choices a little, coming back here with a simpler choice selection and some questions about how easy they are to record, or use as sound modules, or display lyrics, etc., and we can help you more.

Till then.... Happy hunting!

#177921 - 10/13/07 02:50 PM Re: Desperately needs help selecting a first keyboard
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Good advice, Diki.

#177922 - 10/13/07 02:54 PM Re: Desperately needs help selecting a first keyboard
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Diki...you are such a snitch!

#177923 - 10/13/07 10:27 PM Re: Desperately needs help selecting a first keyboard
MarcK Offline

I would get a Yamaha PSR-3000. Can probably get one second-hand for about $1,000.

#177924 - 10/14/07 07:15 AM Re: Desperately needs help selecting a first keyboard
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by MarcK:
I would get a Yamaha PSR-3000. Can probably get one second-hand for about $1,000.

Ouch! What part of the world is paying that much for a used y3k? (Serious)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online