SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#144140 - 10/04/07 03:19 PM 2nd defective PSR S900
Falberto347 Offline

Loc: Perth Amboy, New Jersey, USA
Hi all,
I normally post messages in the Ketron Forum since I own an SD1.
I wanted a 2nd keyboard and piked the Yamaha PSR S900 from Sam Ash- Nice sounding board. When I unpacked it, i noticed it had a big crack in the back (cheap plastic, I thought). Took it back to the store and they gave another one in the box.
when I unpacked and turned it on(the 2nd one)- Nothing turned on- No screen and no buttons- everything was dark- but there was one sound!!!- the default piano sound. Nothing else worked, everything was dead. Took it back to Sam Ash and got my refund. That's it for me- no more S900. I will be checking other options. Any suggestions???

Thanks, Falberto.

#144141 - 10/04/07 03:31 PM Re: 2nd defective PSR S900
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Maybe unpack them in the store, so they can fix you up on the spot?

#144142 - 10/04/07 03:58 PM Re: 2nd defective PSR S900
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
looks like these guys must have had their boxes fall off the truck or something - literally.

#144143 - 10/04/07 04:37 PM Re: 2nd defective PSR S900
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
I have a S900 and NO problems....first one out and was OK!.

Nick may be right, I worked 5 years ago in S.A. Columbus, and those accidents DO happen.

#144144 - 10/04/07 08:33 PM Re: 2nd defective PSR S900
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
That is totally unacceptable.

Yamaha is supposed to be better than this.

Most of us know that most brands have two ( or more ) levels of products that they sell to consumers , i.e.: Pioneer , they sell there standard stuff and they have there "Elite" line.

For Yamaha audio , it too has two levels , the stuff you can buy at Best Buy and other like stores , and stuff that you can only get at specialty stores. ( i.e.: there new HT amp :
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=558249

You won`t find this at Walmart !

In any event , it is clear that Yamaha has two levels of products , look at there low end KB the YP-T400 almost the same as the PSR-E403 ( slight difference ) , but you won`t find the E403 anywhere but a music store ( in most cases ).

Yamaha , it really doesn`t matter what or where you sell your products , what matters is quality.
I realize they {Yamaha} would people rather buy a Tyros than an S900 , but that is not the point.
If your going to offer a product on the open market , it damn well better work and be in one piece.

You {Yamaha} stand to lose a large customer base if you don`t shape up.

So fly right and get your act together.

Gary

#144145 - 10/04/07 09:59 PM Re: 2nd defective PSR S900
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by jedi:
That is totally unacceptable.

Yamaha is supposed to be better than this.

Most of us know that most brands have two ( or more ) levels of products that they sell to consumers , i.e.: Pioneer , they sell there standard stuff and they have there "Elite" line.

For Yamaha audio , it too has two levels , the stuff you can buy at Best Buy and other like stores , and stuff that you can only get at specialty stores. ( i.e.: there new HT amp :
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=558249

You won`t find this at Walmart !

In any event , it is clear that Yamaha has two levels of products , look at there low end KB the YP-T400 almost the same as the PSR-E403 ( slight difference ) , but you won`t find the E403 anywhere but a music store ( in most cases ).

Yamaha , it really doesn`t matter what or where you sell your products , what matters is quality.
I realize they {Yamaha} would people rather buy a Tyros than an S900 , but that is not the point.
If your going to offer a product on the open market , it damn well better work and be in one piece.

You {Yamaha} stand to lose a large customer base if you don`t shape up.

So fly right and get your act together.

Gary

i would love for you to be a keyboard vendor, and your distributor dropped a crate of your keyboards, broke about 10 of them and then your customers blame you for making a breakable product...

lets see what you would think?? ummmm blame the distributor?

#144146 - 10/04/07 10:51 PM Re: 2nd defective PSR S900
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Hi Guys... I have a new S900 too. I haven't commented yet because I am still "checking it out".... I got the board last weekend and was out of town til tonight...It arrived in great shape (no gouges or bangs on the box and it looked like it was direct from the factory).

I have noted a couple quirks transferring registrations or reading styles from my T2 to the S900....not the least of which is that when I tried to access my (USB-based) styles on the S900, I got an error saying "Unable to display the directory - too many files". So there is an obvious difference between the T2 and S900 OS. After I "downsized" my directories, the S900 displays and handles my USB files OK.

Second observation.... Copying the reg's directly from T2 hasn't been 100% successful. Partly because of the "too many files problem"...since I had to reorganize my styles on the USB stick, it would make sense that the old T2 reg's are still pointing to a location on the USB that is no longer there.

Having said that, I read the other posts on here about registration problems and immediately came home today and checked it out. I created 4 registrations w/different styles, different keys, and different tempos, saved them and was able to recall them ok.

I haven't seen any issues w/my pitch wheel or mod wheel...I don't use them much, but I did note that the pitch bend wheel doesn't work w/all my sounds....it works fine w/guitars but it didn't work on the piano sounds (thought that was by design?)....

Randy

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#144147 - 10/05/07 05:44 AM Re: 2nd defective PSR S900
jedi Offline

Nick ,
What I was saying is a general lack of quality control , not the fact that just one store had just 2 bad units.

I have tried 2 in different locations and both were different , granted the last one was not as bad as the first but still not perfect enough to buy.

Many S900`s have been purchased a various locations , having various problems of some kind , very few are perfect.

If you read some of the other threads , you`ll understand the statement that I made more clearly.

Yamaha has dropped the ball on at-least the first batch of S900`s , that much is certain.

The question is can [ will ] Yamaha fix there problem ?

Maybe , but it would mean a redesign of the S900 and that would take it out of the PSR family.

So , all they can do now is fix what they have to work with.

This kind of "failed results" has been showing up more and more in consumer electronics , companies need more "in house" control over what gets built buy other venders. (sub-assemblies)

Gary

I did not quote your reply.

#144148 - 10/05/07 06:03 AM Re: 2nd defective PSR S900
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
No problems here in Canada and no service bulletins from Japan.

Problems seem to be concentrated in the USA.

Could very well be a "damaged in transit" issue.

Ian

#144149 - 10/05/07 06:11 AM Re: 2nd defective PSR S900
jedi Offline

Ian ,
Thats could very well be the issue.

Maybe the US , did get a failed batch.

If so it may take a while before they can weed out the bad and replace them with totally new units.

If it was a first batch problem , we could be looking at a 5~6 month wait for completely new and A-OK , S900`s to arrive.

They most likely will try to rework as much of the bad batch ( returned items ) as possible ( of course they would sell as brand new , even though they are not ).

So getting an assembly line fresh perfect one could be a while , I really hope I`m wrong.

Gary

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online