SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#100285 - 10/01/07 04:10 PM Selling / Buying Keyboards from Strangers
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
(May have already been a topic)

Has anyone bought or sold keyboards from someone you don't know?

I have received offers for 2 keyboards I have for sale through various forums, including Craig's List, SynthZone, etc.
One such person is from California. I don't know this person, and he doesn't know me...

And we're 3000 miles apart!

Are there any procedures we can use to ease the anxiety of getting ripped off ?...for both the buyer and seller ?

Thanks once again

------------------
Larry
SynthZone Frapper

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#100286 - 10/01/07 04:34 PM Re: Selling / Buying Keyboards from Strangers
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
Paypal offers some protection for both of you.
So does ebay
I've bought and sold big ticket items on ebay and recently sold a sub woofer on craigslist. Same procedure buyer pays for the item plus shipping upfront. You ship it , I always get a signature as proof of delivery. I like Fed ex ground best for shipping.
Or for a fee the UPS store will pack it ship and insure it,

#100287 - 10/01/07 04:38 PM Re: Selling / Buying Keyboards from Strangers
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Hey Larry,
Sheesh - Andy Reid can't even communicate with his front line and they're just a few yards away ! ( )
I suggest you email, call and get as much infor as you can b4 dealing out of state. I tend to be too trusting, but I DO do my homework and play the better odds.
Thank God for our Phillies, or this week would really stink, huh?

#100288 - 10/01/07 09:30 PM Re: Selling / Buying Keyboards from Strangers
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Well it seems that you are the seller Larry so I'd insist on getting payment first ( using PayPal is probably easiest ) before I'd be sending any keyboards. Then the buyers will just have to trust you and if they don't I wouldn't do the deal.

Was the Synth Zone member a long term member or just recently joined?

#100289 - 10/01/07 09:56 PM Re: Selling / Buying Keyboards from Strangers
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
All valid points, Nigel, but who can assure the buyer that the goods will be delivered? Both parties can't be 100% sure of the other.

I think that a better system is badly needed. PayPal has as many holes as there are in Swiss cheese.

The safest way, to me at least, would be to collect pay on delivery by the shipping representative. No pay, no delivery. Granted that the seller will end up paying the shipping charges if no payment takes place but at least the goods will be returned.

Or goods can be shipped to the nearest post-office and the buyer makes his payment there before collecting. That's how it's often done in Taiwan. Goods that aren't collected after10 to 15 days (don't remember the exact number of days) will be shipped back to the buyer at no charge. Same as "return to sender."

Taike

[This message has been edited by Taike (edited 10-01-2007).]

#100290 - 10/01/07 10:03 PM Re: Selling / Buying Keyboards from Strangers
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Taike:
All valid points, Nigel, but who can assure the buyer that the goods will be delivered? Both parties can't be 100% sure of the other.
Taike

Yep Taike I agree the buyer needs protection as well but in this case Larry is the seller which isn't risky if payment is made up front.

But you are right that COD is safest for both. But still even if the seller is hit with shipping on an undelivered item that could be quite costly on a large item like a keyboard.

I have bought gear from other long standing Synth Zone members and that makes me feel a lot more comfortable than buying off a total stranger on ebay.

#100291 - 10/02/07 05:47 AM Re: Selling / Buying Keyboards from Strangers
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
I don't think he's a member of the SynthZone, although he could be. He responded to a Craigs List ad. That's what makes it a bit scary. I used Craig's List because I thought I'd get a local response from someone close by. I was surprised to recieve an email from California.

I wish it was a SZ member.

The phone number, and email address he provided is from a reputable company, so that's a plus.

I was thinking PayPal, and someone suggested to ask my bank for advise.
Never thought of C.O.D. Good idea.

OT: Dave...IMO Andy Reid sent a message to his players. Don'want to play with pain? This is what you get, although I felt bad for Winston Justice. THANK GOD FOR THE PHILS!

------------------
Larry
SynthZone Frapper

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#100292 - 10/02/07 07:07 AM Re: Selling / Buying Keyboards from Strangers
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
I had a friend buy an 1800 synth on ebay and never got delivery. But thanks to ebay and paypal he didn't lose a dime.
The problem happens when someone talks you into doing something against the rules, you loose your protection and you get burned.
You know nice guy, quick answers to questions, but my email is down so can you send it to..??

I also listed a couple of things on craigslist because I thought it would be local ended up shipping it to NYC. It made me nervous.

I prefer ebay because in the auction my terms are written down so there is no misunderstanding I'll gladly pay a little fee for the protection it offers both of us.
That great price on a local item has to be increased to pay for fees and shipping.

[This message has been edited by mikeathome1 (edited 10-02-2007).]

#100293 - 10/02/07 07:23 AM Re: Selling / Buying Keyboards from Strangers
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
If you have doubts, do your homework first. If you have the address, check it out on Yahoo or Google maps. I once insisted a buyer get a USPS money order because I knew there was a post office three blocks from his house. You can also check to see if the name and address is legit, especially if you have a phone number.

There is nothing better than full communication with a buyer/seller. If you can hear his voice over the phone you can make a quick assessment of the situation.

I agree that COD is the best way to go, especially without using eBay or PayPal. Insist on bank cecks or USPS money orders - something that is more reliable than the average check.

#100294 - 10/02/07 07:34 AM Re: Selling / Buying Keyboards from Strangers
tarkington Offline

Loc: Fontana, CA, USA
I suggest using Escrow.com. I purchased a used Korg Oasys and several rare saxophones this way with successful results. The buyer and seller agree to terms, buyer pays Escrow.com, seller ships keyboard, buyer accepts the keyboard, Escrow.com pays the seller. Escrow.com is the only online escrow service recommended by eBay. I think they are a subsidiary company of eBay, but not sure.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online