SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#115419 - 09/11/07 08:43 PM Skype Internet Phone Users Heed this Virus Warning !
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
EBay’s Skype internet phone service said a virus that sends a fake chat message may infect customers’ computers. A computer virus called “W32/Ramex.A” is affecting users of Skype for Windows, Skype said Monday.

Customers whose computers are infected with the virus may send a chat message to other Skype subscribers asking them to click on a link that in turn will infect their computers. Skype said it has asked antivirus software companies to update their protection systems to stop the virus from spreading.
Pass this news on to your friends and Skype telephone contacts.
Bloomberg News.
From this morning’s San Jose Mercure News
Bebop

#115420 - 09/11/07 09:02 PM Re: Skype Internet Phone Users Heed this Virus Warning !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Bebop, many thanks for the heads up. Just went to Zone Alarm anti-virus update center and downloaded the very LATEST update, and currently running a complete virus scan on my PC now. Will let you know results. - Scott

#115421 - 09/12/07 11:45 AM Re: Skype Internet Phone Users Heed this Virus Warning !
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
I can't believe Scott is the only one here using Skype. Maybe he is just the only one to respond.
Bebop

#115422 - 09/12/07 12:03 PM Re: Skype Internet Phone Users Heed this Virus Warning !
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
I've been using Skype since the start, and never had virus or any other trouble.
It's mostly a question of take time to go through the settings and use common sense,
just as when use the Internet and computers in general.

Happy Playing
GJ

[This message has been edited by Gunnar Jonny (edited 09-12-2007).]
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#115423 - 09/12/07 12:43 PM Re: Skype Internet Phone Users Heed this Virus Warning !
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Sure you're not on a Mac, Gunnar?

#115424 - 09/12/07 01:08 PM Re: Skype Internet Phone Users Heed this Virus Warning !
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Sure you're not on a Mac, Gunnar?

Yeah Diki, I'm pretty sure, just PCs and Laptops in this home network, all Win2k/XP/Vista OS,
but still no Mac.
Maybe I should try one, many people say Mac are good stuff, specially when use for music purpose?

GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#115425 - 09/12/07 07:37 PM Re: Skype Internet Phone Users Heed this Virus Warning !
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
BEBOP....thanks for the warning....I'm on SKYPE everyday all day...calling from Mexico
can get very expensive, SKYPE is the greatest thing since slice bread for me, I will be sure to keep an eye out and my virus protection up to date...thanks again.
TR

#115426 - 09/12/07 07:42 PM Re: Skype Internet Phone Users Heed this Virus Warning !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Followup from last night. Downloaded latest AntiVirus & AntiSpyware and ran complete PC check. Happy to report everything checked out A-OK! Bebop, thanks again for the heads up about that.

Scott

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online