SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#113885 - 09/01/07 09:17 PM G70 Demo Because DNJ and Scott Yee Asked
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Finally here's a couple of tunes I recorded on the G70 in arranger mode using my Zoom H4 recorder. No editing has been done.
The first is The Shadow of Your Smile using the Club Bossa Style.
http://www.box.net/shared/0omtomne64

The 2nd recording is a cheap imitation of a rendition of a recording of "These Foolish Things" I have in my Cd collection featuring Groove Holmes and an unknown Sax player. No organ voices are played in the right hand, only in the left hand as an accompaniment
http://www.box.net/shared/dfs2na4pji

I'll be away from home for the day on Sunday and won't have computer access. Hopefully anyone who cares to listen will be able to download the files without problems.

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 09-01-2007).]

#113886 - 09/01/07 11:23 PM Re: G70 Demo Because DNJ and Scott Yee Asked
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Stephen, first of all, a great BIG THANK YOU for taking the time out to record & finally give us all a chance to hear a quick demo of the G70 performed in auto accomp mode.

Your tunes nicely showcases the impressive sound quality of the G70 for piano playing with three-piece auto accomp combo (drums, bass, keys). Listening thru my Sennheiser HD600 headphones, I'm impressed by the deep rich realism of the acoustic piano, and the simply stated auto-accomp bossa pattern & instrumentation employed. The simplicity (albeit a few playing glitches) of your playing nicely complements the style (nice brush ballad with a pleasing gentle swing), and it continued to draw me (the listener) into the song. Very nice drums & solo sax sound as well. I can easily hear now why it's difficult to give up either the Yamaha Tyros2 or Roland G70, both wonderful sounding keyboards in their own unique way. I'm truly envious. You are a lucky man to be able to own both.

I'm really excited now to hear more songs from you and other SZ members willing to share their G70 music performed, preferably in live solo performance auto accompaniment mode as you did. Stephen, thanks again.

Scott

#113887 - 09/02/07 05:03 AM Re: G70 Demo Because DNJ and Scott Yee Asked
Chris Valenti Offline

Loc: Florida
Hi Stephen,

Thanks for recording and sharing these. I enjoy your style of playing. I liked the Ac. Piano sound and also the Sax sound in the second tune.

Take care,

Chris

------------------
http://www.myspace.com/mychrisvalenti

#113888 - 09/02/07 05:25 AM Re: G70 Demo Because DNJ and Scott Yee Asked
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Hi Stephen. Nice rendition of both songs. Thanks for posting because it's great to hear the differences and nuances of each individual keyboard. The Roland has a sound all its own. I like the open sound (not too busy). To get that on a Yamaha, you often have to turn many of the sounds off.

Did you use a style for the second tune? I'm going to try the same tunes using the converted styles I have from the G70 on my Tyros.

Thanks again and great job!

Randy

[This message has been edited by saxxman (edited 09-02-2007).]

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#113889 - 09/02/07 06:45 AM Re: G70 Demo Because DNJ and Scott Yee Asked
Dnj Offline

Steve.....
I really enjoyed your performance. I've owned a G70 & know how wonderful an instrument it can be. The Shadow of Your Smile is a beautiful tune & your arrangement emphasizes that for sure. I'm sure glad you are really starting to realize what a great KB the G70 is and I know as a piano player your happy with 76 keys. Hoping to hear more soon.

Thank You

#113890 - 09/02/07 10:42 AM Re: G70 Demo Because DNJ and Scott Yee Asked
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi Stephen

I really enjoyed your style of playing also. The G70 sounded good. I am curious to know which styles you used and like saxxman am curious to try the converted styles on my T2.

#113891 - 09/02/07 01:40 PM Re: G70 Demo Because DNJ and Scott Yee Asked
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Steve,
well done!

#113892 - 09/02/07 02:31 PM Re: G70 Demo Because DNJ and Scott Yee Asked
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Hi Steve,

Nicely done...the G70 sounds wonderful...piano was excellent.

Ian

#113893 - 09/02/07 02:39 PM Re: G70 Demo Because DNJ and Scott Yee Asked
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Scott Yee, yes I consider myself lucky to own both boards. I was fortunate to get a great deal on the used G70 from Hank B.

Chris, if I could choose what to play at gigs those are the type tunes I would play all the time. Of course I'd probably never get any work if I did that

Randy and Scott L. I used the Club Bossa style for Shadow of Your Smile. I have that as a conversion of my Tyros 2, that style was one that sparked my interest in the G70. These Foolish Things was done with the "Piano Night" style. That's one that I don't have as a conversion for the Tyros2. I did change the OTS settings on the G70 so that I got that Hammond sound in the left hand.

Donny, the G70 is a pleasure to play no doubt about it. It fits like a glove it's great to have 76 keys. Despite some startup problems learning the OS and the damaged LCD, I'm now liking the navigation and on the fly capabilities more than ever. I know why Fran and others have been talking G70 right along.

Dreamer thanks, those G70 Bossas are hard to beat !

#113894 - 09/03/07 06:12 AM Re: G70 Demo Because DNJ and Scott Yee Asked
renig Offline

Loc: Canada
Very nice, Stephen. I loved your chording on the intro to These Foolish Things.

I can't say I was too keen on the style, though. For me, it was too 'plodding', pedantic. Just the 'variation' it was in, maybe?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online