SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#128239 - 07/26/07 04:58 PM First arranger (PSR-E403?)
KellyJ Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX US
Hello, uh, I'm a first-time caller. I'm looking for my first arranger keyboard and have been lurking for the past few weeks to gather information. I'm quite impressed with the quality of comments and feedback shared among posters.

Since I've not played since grade school YEARS ago, I thought it would be helpful to have something I could begin making music on (if fairly simple) to keep my interest as I learn. An entry-level arranger would be the best choice, but as usual, my interest creeps upmarket as I play and hear the better ones! For the $$ I'm impressed with the Yamaha PSR-E403, for more $$ I like the PSR-S500, LOVE the sound and feel of the MM6, but am open to suggestions - other brands, pre-owned better models, etc.

The S500 easily bests the 403 on sound and key feel, and I think I could live with those compromises. But the limited number and sophistication of styles make me worry that I'll loose interest more quickly. I understand additional styles can be uploaded , possibly even created. Would all or most PSR style files work on the 403? Am I likely to find beefier arrangements that will play properly (within the polyphony limit, of course)? Primary interest is in blues, jazz and lounge/chill, some dance.

Thanks in advance, I look forward to hearing your comments and continuing to participate.

------------------
Kelly J

#128240 - 07/26/07 07:09 PM Re: First arranger (PSR-E403?)
CoasterTim Offline

Loc: Allentown, PA, USA
Kelly,
I owned the 403 for a few months and even tho it is a great keyboard at its price point, it doesn't take long to tire of if you want to load new styles. It's internal memory is quite limited and even tho you can load new styles you can only add a few because of the low memory and you can only load and play one new style at a time. You cannot go from one new style to the next like you can on the more advanced keyboards which have USB to device. My suggestion is to start with the PSR500 or PSR700 - something you will have more time to enjoy growing into, rather than out of.
Another thing I've noticed with the 403 is that it will only load simpler styles that use lower memory.

That's my opinion, for what it's worth.
Good luck and have fun
Tim

-----------------------------------------------------------
YAMAHA CVP-509 / Korg Pa300

#128241 - 07/27/07 09:05 AM Re: First arranger (PSR-E403?)
OldNewb Offline

Loc: Shorewood Wi. USA
Then there IS the possibility of finding a nice, used, slightly older, but more advanced board.
I am selling my psr 2100 since I've now got and am happy with the S 900.
I haven't listed it here yet cause I thought of trying "Craig's List" and selling more locally that way. No bother of packaging and shipping. But I would like to help fellow zoners.
Jim

#128242 - 07/27/07 10:15 AM Re: First arranger (PSR-E403?)
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
The MM6 might work for you. It's a more modern based arranger. Although it's styles aren't as "full" so to say as you'd find on some of Yamaha's other arrangers.., they styles on the MM6 are more up to date. You won't find any polkas, and stuff like that on the MM6. You'll find some jazz styles, but more modern jazz types--maybe more along the lines of acid jazz for example.

You will however be at home in the "chill and dance" area if you buy the MM6. The MM6 gives you some other options over the S-500.., such as (although basic) voice editing done via real-time knobs. If I remember correctly you can even record real time knob movements into the internal sequencer of the MM6, and they transmit on midi as well. Meaning if you're recording a dance song using the internal sequencer of the MM6 you can do real time filter sweeps.

The MM6 also comes with sequencing software. The software will be a breath of fresh air really in terms of recording as all of the shortcomings the MM6's internal (scratch-pad suffers from) can be done using the software--such as loop recording, quantize, pattern copying, ect.

I've test driven the MM6.., but wasn't as impressed with it as I thought I'd be, but if you're just getting back into playing the MM6 just might be what you're looking for.

The sounds are decent (they're based on the Motif Classic), and the arps are taken from the Motif ES line. The MM6 will also have the mega voices too.

Good luck,
Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 07-27-2007).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#128243 - 07/27/07 03:41 PM Re: First arranger (PSR-E403?)
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Kelly - keep your eye on the PSR3000. The new S900 series is coming out and tons of people will be trying to unload their 3k for a S9000. Prices are very good right now - see some of the posts here and on the wanted board. Even a PSR2000 would be a good buy for you if the price is right. I agree that even though you might have an entry-level budget, it is to your benefit to buy up if you can. Good luck.

#128244 - 07/27/07 04:03 PM Re: First arranger (PSR-E403?)
KellyJ Offline

Well, half the fun is the hunt, right? Tim, I appreciate your comments on the e403. Haven't ruled it out yet, it's price puts it in the disposable category and it would at least allow me to familiarize myself with the sounds, effects, arrangements and recording (limited as it may be).

Jim, a used keyboard is definitely in the equation, I'd love to know what's reasonably close to the performance of new ones in the way of sounds and flexibility that may be found for under $600. I'll search for some reviews and comments on older Rolands and Yamahas this weekend.

Squeak, I've played quite a bit with the MM6 and am impressed, but comparing it to true 'arrangers', I think it serves a better purpose as a small computer-aided workstation or as a stand-alone instrument in it's own right. For now, I'd like to concentrate on the keys and not mess with the PC except for data transfer. I'm sure my interest in adding some good sequencer/arranger software will change, though!

Tomorrow I'm in search of the Roland E09 and EXR series. Surprisingly, I can't find anyone in Dallas that carries the E's, but I'll check the Fort Worth scene.

Hey, thanks again!

------------------
Kelly J

#128245 - 07/27/07 07:14 PM Re: First arranger (PSR-E403?)
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Kelly - the E09 sells for about $529. I bought a new one on eBay for $429. It has nice sounds, but I don't think it is a good live keyboard. It is definitely something you need time to set up before playing a song. The rhythm section does not match up with the Yammies of its class. I sold it soon after buying it. I wouldn't recommend it.

------------------
Cass Pawlowski - Detroit
www.cassponline.com/

#128246 - 07/30/07 04:13 PM Re: First arranger (PSR-E403?)
KellyJ Offline

Thanks, Cass!
I've gotten some more hands-on with different Yamahas - see my reply to Krondor's latest post. I like the E403's real-time controllers for chorus, reverb, levels, attack and decay and could see the arppegiator being useful, sounds are acceptable (and likely, with those controllers, could be made better) but the limited arrangements is it's Achile's heel for me.

I may wait a while and keep on the lookout for a PSR-1500, possibly even an 1100 (any thoughts on that one, folks?) and the MM6 isn't completely out of the picture yet.

------------------
Kelly J

#128247 - 07/31/07 09:23 AM Re: First arranger (PSR-E403?)
Shade of pale Offline

Loc: Allen, TX, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by KellyJ:

Tomorrow I'm in search of the Roland E09 and EXR series. Surprisingly, I can't find anyone in Dallas that carries the E's, but I'll check the Fort Worth scene.

Hey, thanks again!

Kelly, last week I saw Roland E09 at Murphy's music in Irving, on 183, hope this help, thanks!

SD9, Audya5, Genos, Roland XP60, 2 Yamaha DSR12, 2 Yamaha Sub, 2 Turbosound 2000

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online