SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#170895 - 06/13/07 10:14 AM Wow..Roland screwed up another feature..
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I have a guitarist friend coming over to use his midied guitar, with the G70...loke he used it with the G1000...No way...Chord recognition is gone....

#170896 - 06/13/07 12:09 PM Re: Wow..Roland screwed up another feature..
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I don't think you have this one right, Fran... You REALLY need to read the manual a bit more before you make these kind of pronouncements, especially as you are SO new to the G70.

The G70 has an NTA channel (Note to arranger) just like the G1000 did. It's MIDI implementation is somewhat different, though, so perhaps you were just expecting it to work similarly to the G1000. It doesn't. The G70's MIDI section operates somewhat differently.

But there IS an NTA channel, which is what the arranger needs to see, yes? So I see no reason why it won't work.

Now let me add my disclaimer... I haven't tried this function myself, yet (but I have lived and slept with the manual for the last two years!), as I have no need for it, but having seen the NTA MIDI implementation chart, I don't see any reason why it won't work. Other than the fact of getting MIDI in and out of the G70 is VERY different to the G1000.

So, perhaps before posting here and venting your frustration, how about a bit of communication with Roland, and perhaps the nice folk at roland-arranger.com, to see if anyone knows how to do this? That is, before you start making definitive statements like 'Chord recognition is gone....'

The G70 is NOT a G1000 (or we wouldn't have bought it, already having a G1000!)...

#170897 - 06/13/07 12:10 PM Re: Wow..Roland screwed up another feature..
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
I think I saw that on the E 80 but have not got to that part of the manual yet.
Today I expect to learn how to record and save a song to the adapter and CF card I installed yesterday. I got it USB into the computer also, so I am gaining on it. Just not much time to spend with it now.
Bebop

#170898 - 06/13/07 01:12 PM Re: Wow..Roland screwed up another feature..
Fran Carango Offline

Diki, after using chord recognition assigned to a DP2 pedal with many Roland products..I am not wrong..it is missing from the assignable list...Please prove me wrong..It is as evident as the missing chord sequencer..

Maybe you don't know what I am referring to...The assignable pedal would allow the recognition to be turned on or off allowing instruments like guitar to play the arranger and yes the NTA...No Go on the G70..

#170899 - 06/13/07 01:22 PM Re: Wow..Roland screwed up another feature..
Fran Carango Offline

Diki let me clarify this..The G70 has Arr chord off...it turns chord recognition off, but by default turns all the arranger accomp off too[just bass and drums remain]..The older Roland's use to continue the arrangement without alteration , until you wanted to make another chord recognition by depressing the pedal..

#170900 - 06/13/07 03:16 PM Re: Wow..Roland screwed up another feature..
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Fran,
I read your post and decided to call my source for support at Roland US. You are correct that you cannot connect a foot switch that would stop the arranger from changing chords while you play a solo's from the guitar, either as a guitar sound or as a synth sound.
However, I would like you to try something I mentioned to Roland and they said "try it". Plug your midi guitar in, select the NTA midi channel on the G70 (defaults to channel 14).
Go to arranger settings, set the chord fingering "type" to say "piano style". Set the "zone" to say "whole".
If I'm correct, you should be able to play your guitar with at least 3 note chords and if you play single notes or two notes the chords should not change. On other brands I've been doing this for years. I don't have a midi guitar to try this out. Please report back.

------------------
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
www.kayesmusicscene.com
(Retired 2021)

#170901 - 06/13/07 03:24 PM Re: Wow..Roland screwed up another feature..
Fran Carango Offline

George thanks for confirming ..I am right..As for the other solution , I am aware of the 3 or more notes, but it is not comfortable on guitar..

#170902 - 06/13/07 05:02 PM Re: Wow..Roland screwed up another feature..
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Fran,
I plugged in a GK-20 and a midi guitar to my E80 and yes, as you suggest Fran, it does work. So, how does using a pedal as your G1000 change the way you play? What do you do differently than my suggestion and to what benefit? I'm just interested!
(Retired 2021)

#170903 - 06/13/07 05:23 PM Re: Wow..Roland screwed up another feature..
Fran Carango Offline

George on the earlier Roland's..assigning chord recognition to the pedal[DP2]..When you hold down the pedal it will read the chord recognition from the guitar, when you release the pedal, it ignores chord recognition, allowing you to play anything on the guitar all six strings if you want..

#170904 - 06/13/07 11:36 PM Re: Wow..Roland screwed up another feature..
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Sorry about the confusion, Fran. Your initial post lead me to believe you couldn't get the arranger to trigger at all.

I see where the problem is... there IS a solution (just not as elegant as the G1000, but I'm used to that!). You can use an FC-7 and assign arranger on/off to one pedal, and on the adjacent pedal program arranger 'hold'. This will work OK, but a more permanent solution would be to wire BOTH wires to the same switch, then one pedal would do the trick (but use up two FC-7 assignments).

VERY inelegant, but I think it would work (try with the two switches first!). But I apologize. Roland HAVE made this a whole lot harder than it used to be (and it isn't, of course, the first stupid thing Roland have done with the G70's MIDI), but I believe it CAN work, this way....

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online