SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#145249 - 06/04/07 10:20 AM T2, psr3k, etc. Harmonizer "pitch correction" quality??
maximus721 Offline

Hi guys,
I'm looking to get a t2 psr3x or even s900!! My question is this....is the harmonizer quality the same on all units? More specifically, I was looking around at TC helicon's line of PITCH CORRECTORS, (sshhh! I can play but i am just an "ok" singer...), and I noticed in a T2 manual that one of the settings is "Pitch correction". How does it work, quality wise? Rather than spend a ton of money on a seperate rack unit for vocal processing, I may consider getting one of these boards...but I'm thinking that it may not be able to convincingly work since I'm never heard anyone talk about it. help!
P.S. I confess....i also wanna do the dreaded Cher Effect...just once!

#145250 - 06/04/07 11:54 AM Re: T2, psr3k, etc. Harmonizer "pitch correction" quality??
Dnj Offline

They are basically all the same on Yamahas.....pitch correction not gonna help you sing better.....you get what you put into it.....the Vocal harmonizers are quirky and MUST be used perfectly with a strong voice and direct positioning besides alot of tweaking to get it right or you will be warbling all over...there is no comparison to TC Helicon, Digitech, and the best I've heard is on a Roland G70, SD1+ is very good also.

#145251 - 06/04/07 12:10 PM Re: T2, psr3k, etc. Harmonizer "pitch correction" quality??
maximus721 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
They are basically all the same on Yamahas.....pitch correction not gonna help you sing better.....you get what you put into it.....the Vocal harmonizers are quirky and MUST be used perfectly with a strong voice and direct positioning besides alot of tweaking to get it right or you will be warbling all over...there is no comparison to TC Helicon, Digitech, and the best I've heard is on a Roland G70, SD1+ is very good also.

Thanks for the quick reply! I realise there are limitations and this is not going to be a magic pill, however i think it should be true that a mediocre singer with perfect pitch should be easier on the ears than a mediocre singer with mediocre pitch! :-) Can you please clarify your last statement? are you saying the roland is the best KEYBOARD harmonizer, or are you saying it's even better than the tc?

#145252 - 06/04/07 12:30 PM Re: T2, psr3k, etc. Harmonizer "pitch correction" quality??
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
You are, I think, referring to a sort of 'Auto-Tune' ability...?

I'm afraid the G70 does not have an 'auto-tune' mode. You HAVE to provide it with a track that contains the melody you want sung, unlike Auto-Tune, or the TC Helicon stuff, which recognizes what pitch you are singing, and automatically re-tunes the voice to the nearest half-step (or scale degree).

However, this works well on SMFs where you want a specific harmony part that either has dissonance with the chords, or runs in a counter melody to the main one.

But without EXTENSIVE work on all your SMFs, it isn't much use as a general 'tune-up' for all your singing. A stand-alone unit from TC or Digitech is probably a good way to get this....

#145253 - 06/04/07 01:14 PM Re: T2, psr3k, etc. Harmonizer "pitch correction" quality??
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by maximus721:

Can you please clarify your last statement? are you saying the roland is the best KEYBOARD harmonizer, or are you saying it's even better than the tc?

The stand alone units are excellent quality voice recognitions & multifeatured for many types of harmonies.....but its another thing to carry & midi up in your rig rack......

For onboard the Roland G70, Discover 5, Ketron SD1+ are way above the rest.

As there isn't a magic pill for vocal harmony believe me there is a whole other ART FORM besides playing and singing lead to using and generating Vocal Harmonies correctly and believably when performing.....I was taught by the best Uncle Dave .....listen to this & you'll know what I mean.
http://www.boydsongs.com/A%20Nightingale%20Sang.html

#145254 - 06/04/07 01:47 PM Re: T2, psr3k, etc. Harmonizer "pitch correction" quality??
maximus721 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
The stand alone units are excellent quality voice recognitions & multifeatured for many types of harmonies.....but its another thing to carry & midi up in your rig rack......

For onboard the Roland G70, Discover 5, Ketron SD1+ are way above the rest.

As there isn't a magic pill for vocal harmony believe me there is a whole other ART FORM besides playing and singing lead to using and generating Vocal Harmonies correctly and believably when performing.....I was taught by the best Uncle Dave .....listen to this & you'll know what I mean.
http://www.boydsongs.com/A%20Nightingale%20Sang.html

Whoaaa.....in the world of harmonization you are a pure jedi master! awesome link. I have much to learn...i assume that was the roland, with maybe a midi track to guide the harmonizer or something?

#145255 - 06/04/07 02:05 PM Re: T2, psr3k, etc. Harmonizer "pitch correction" quality??
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Korg keyboards have a TC Helicon Harmoniser built in as standard.

Bill

#145256 - 06/04/07 02:10 PM Re: T2, psr3k, etc. Harmonizer "pitch correction" quality??
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
Great choice Donnie, I often refer to that track by Uncle Dave as one of the best uses of a harmonizer I've ever heard. As a matter fact I went and listened to it myself again last week. I'd like to download it, I thought I did once before but now I can't. If anyone knows where I can find it as an mp3 I'd appreciate it.

#145257 - 06/04/07 02:37 PM Re: T2, psr3k, etc. Harmonizer "pitch correction" quality??
maximus721 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:
Korg keyboards have a TC Helicon Harmoniser built in as standard.

Bill

Thanks for reminding me Bill...that's a good point. I grew up on Tritons too....so I may want to look in that direction....but I'm thinking I'd like pitch correction first and hgarmony second, (I usually sing ad-lib style lead over a live choir or worship team at my church). From what I've read Korg makes u pay a lot extra for the pitch correection feature of the built in TC helicon unit. anyone happen to know what "a lot" is? I was leaning towards the tyros, way expensive.... the s900 looks nice....maybe some combo of the two with a rack, or even the voicelive floor pedal....arrrgh so many choices...brain overload!!!

#145258 - 06/04/07 03:04 PM Re: T2, psr3k, etc. Harmonizer "pitch correction" quality??
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
Download the owners manual for the TC helicon and check out the pitch correction it might not be as automatic as you might think.
I had the voiceworks and never really got into the programing the pitch correction.
They use it alot in a studio to correct a vocal after it has been recorded.
Now I might be wrong I never got that far into it because I only wanted the auto and chord recognition feature.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online