SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#113701 - 05/05/07 07:10 AM Ketron SD-2.., who's using it ?
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Hot damn! Those demos of the SD-2 are AWESOME. Man that thing has some nice sounds. Who's using this thing here and if so, please share your comments. This puppy would make a great addition to my computer setup as an external sound module to use with Cakewalk.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#113702 - 05/05/07 03:29 PM Re: Ketron SD-2.., who's using it ?
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Squeak,
I've got one. Bought it for use with OMB software & even managed to midi it to my psr1500 ie psr plays the style & supplies sound for left & right hand parts ,
sd2 supplies sound for the style parts.

With OMB I've had a couple of minor setbacks, because of the way it accesses higher banks, it does it thru
MSB (controller 0)
instead of xg's combination of
LSB (controller 32) &
MSB (controller 0)
I have managed to work my way around it.

For use in a sequencer , you probably wouldn't have any hassles.

The really great part about the sd2 is you get Ketron's "Live" drums.
Ketron Italy has midi drum loops available for the sd2 Live Drums. They're not a regular type of drum kit. The loops can be used to replace drum track in a midifile.

I started to convert some of my sd1 drum patterns into midifile format to start a bit of a library.
Unfortunately the Live drums aren't 100% compatible between the sd1+ & sd2 but they're fairly close. ( sd2& sd5 are the same)

Worth it for the drums alone. SD1 styles can't be converted to other style formats terribly well mainly because of the "live drums", now I've got them in this tiny module.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by squeak_D:
[B]Hot damn!

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#113703 - 05/05/07 04:23 PM Re: Ketron SD-2.., who's using it ?
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Hi Rikki,

can you also change the drums of internal KB styles with the SD2 styles and save it to rgistration memory?

Thanks

Eric

#113704 - 05/05/07 07:37 PM Re: Ketron SD-2.., who's using it ?
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Eric,
whoops maybe I better read my earlier post, just in case I gave a wrong impression. The sd2 is only a a tiny pocket size soundmodule , it doesn't have styles.

Where it's handy for me is for user styles or converted styles that require editing /tweaking especially where drums are concerned. When I get my sd drum library built up I'll just be able to replace the existing drum track with one from my library. ( Using OMB software)

I wouldn't waste my time tweaking internal styles to hear them played back using sd2 sounds. The psr drums wouldn't play back correctly anyway.
&
unfortunately as far as psr's go, the midi's not great.
Using OMB as the "arranger", I can assign multiple soundsources ,
but using it with a psr keyboard, the sd2 has to be the soundsource for all 8 style tracks. Only left & right hand voices can be set to psr internal voices.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by Eric, B:
Hi Rikki,

can you also change the drums of internal KB styles with the SD2 styles and save it to rgistration memory?

Thanks

Eric

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#113705 - 05/05/07 08:51 PM Re: Ketron SD-2.., who's using it ?
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Thanks for your reply.

Eric

#113706 - 05/06/07 02:51 AM Re: Ketron SD-2.., who's using it ?
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I have two SD2's. One is connected to a Midisport,and used for all midi tracks. It works flawlessly, and is superior to KN7000 and Echo soundcard.

The other is used with my controller keyboards with just a midi cable. Great solo instruments. They are accessed,like Rikki said, by MSB(bank), and program number.
Bernie

#113707 - 05/06/07 05:39 AM Re: Ketron SD-2.., who's using it ?
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Rikkis,
How much work is it to get the SD-2 working with a software program like Cakewalk or PowerTracks? Does the unit benefit from anything like using instrument definitions, or can selecting voices be more of a chore at times with this unit.

I'm really blown away by the sounds on the SD-2. For the price I think it would make a great addition as a sound module for my software set up. I was looking for a module that would favor well for traditional styles such as classical, film, orchestral, blues, jazz, ect. I think the SD-2's sounds (based on the demos) would really fill that gap for me without having to invest in another full keyboard, as my playroom is quite full at the moment. Wife's getting ticked off with all the gear and toys I have in one room

I do model railroad, so I have a very large model railroad layout, my music equipment, and a fitness gym in the same room..
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#113708 - 05/06/07 02:51 PM Re: Ketron SD-2.., who's using it ?
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Squeak,
ketron italy has a downloadble manual, technical tables, midi loops, instrument definitions for cakewalk, cubase & logic

look under utilities at http://www.ketron.it/prodotti/index.asp?idTipo=2

Jay from Ketron USA I believe has created some sort of instrument table for Powertracks. He was working on it a while back, while at the same time I was creating an instrument setup for BIAB. We didn't want to double up.
I don't really use Powertracks a great deal.

It doesn't have any individual buttons & sliders etc, but I haven't really found that a problem for pc use. The way I'm using it with omb is really more of an OMB xg software hassle , not vice versa.

With BIAB it works beautifully.
The strings are lush. The drums are great etc etc . I like the piano. It also has drawbars for an organ ??( software based) I'm not an organist so I don't have a clue what that means.
Soundwise it leaves my psr1500 for dead especially in the drum department.

The quality of the sound is not quite as good as my sd1+ but it's certainly not a bad second. Over here in Aust the SD1+ has a recommended retail of $6,000AUD, the SD2 module approx $800AUD ( not that anyone pays retail).
If all you're after is sound, it's an inexpensive way of getting good quality Ketron sound & "LIVE" drums. Still not quite sure what they are, but they sound brilliant. It has the regular GM2 sets as well.

It's such a tiny little box, your wife won't even notice it, hubby hasn't spotted mine haahaa.

Bernie luved his so much, he bought a second one.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by squeak_D:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online