SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#207576 - 04/09/07 08:35 AM Interesting Comment about modern keyboards
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Interesting comment about modern keyboard playing has been added to the Jazz Hooves web site, it will be interesting to see how many agree or disagree.
Enjoy whatever you play

Bill

http://www.jazzhooves.com/page42/page42.html

#207577 - 04/09/07 10:37 AM Re: Interesting Comment about modern keyboards
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Interseting article. I think he made some good valid points as well. Is it all becoming "too easy now". With functions that will make the most novice player sound like a pro, never hitting a wrong note and the board doing the work I think truly "hurts" the real pros out there.

The question of "backings" is also a good one too. I'll say IMO there's nothing wrong with backing, but people can often become "too reliant" on them. It makes you wonder how many here would be utterly lost if someone turned the auto accomp feature off on them?

That's why I've always said "keep to the basics" turn the arranger off here and there, and actually "compose" a song. Don't use any preset styles, do it yourself. That's just my opinion though. I hear some good demos on this forum, but often I find those demos showcase more of the keyboard than the player.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#207578 - 04/09/07 11:06 AM Re: Interesting Comment about modern keyboards
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
The fact is, few people go out to hear just a keyboard player (except in a background role - although, of course, there are exceptions). It is still primarily about entertaining, singing, making a connection with the audience. If modern arranger tools help the less talented keyboard players utilize their God-given vocal talents and entertaining skills to make a living, more strength to it!

But as long as the dedicated keyboard player keeps up-to-date with styles and songs that people in clubs, bars and restaurant actually want to hear, rather than trotting out 'golden oldies' because that's all they are willing to play, they should keep making a living, too.

You only have to listen to the top arranger demonstrators to realize that there is PLENTY left to do on an arranger after you get through 'Intro 1' and before you hit 'Ending 1'. THIS is where the dedicated player will score over the singer just holding down the chords....

Modern arrangers are 'too easy' only if you are lazy... With work you can make the TOTL arrangers sound pretty much any way you want. I, for one, do NOT feel they all sound the same, at least, not after I'm finished voicing it!

#207579 - 04/09/07 11:38 AM Re: Interesting Comment about modern keyboards
Magica Alfa Offline

I agree with you guys.

That article is very interesting.
You are right music must be our inspiration not only that we are DJ's all the time.

I want to be free all the time.

True is that are that good clubs needing good musicians. But this is one part of job. If here will be less DJ’s on arrangers than also music will be different: fresh and new.

Why we must 20 – 30 years play on same styles and not only that new keyboards are having same style and same sound. That is crazy. (Not all)

Abucs you are right: Enjoy whatever you play.

Magica Alfa

[This message has been edited by Magica Alfa (edited 04-09-2007).]

#207580 - 04/09/07 11:52 AM Re: Interesting Comment about modern keyboards
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I'm on the "you need to learn to play, damnit", side of things, but that's just my preference, and not necessarily the correct answer for everyone or every situation. I look at it this way: any player/performer would be better the better his/her understanding of the instrument is. combine a superior modern instrument with excellent, always improving chops...that's a combo that's hard to beat.

Play on!

Russ

#207581 - 04/09/07 12:11 PM Re: Interesting Comment about modern keyboards
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
--------------------------------------------
I'm on the "you need to learn to play, damnit", side of things,
--------------------------------------------

I agree with that 100% Russ! The person sitting in the drivers seat should be playing the keyboard. You play the keyboard, don't let the keyboard play you

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#207582 - 04/09/07 01:03 PM Re: Interesting Comment about modern keyboards
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I think jazzhooves misses the point though. Sure, when you are demo-ing a new arranger, you tend to play the Intros and Outros, play a few bars in the middle, on to the next style.... It might be easy to think that that is TOO easy. But real life, in the club or bar, you have to play the whole tune, make it interesting, make it entertaining.

THAT takes a lot more chops than just hitting 'Play'.

The way I look at it, I don't see a bold new generation coming along to take my gigs. There's a lot more to entertaining a crowd than holding a few arpeggiators down, unless you ARE playing to the techno crowd. Fewer and fewer youngsters have the patience to learn to actually PLAY, and consequently, once their initial 'play the karma functions' type of music changes (as music tastes always do) they will not have sufficient skill to adapt to new types of music. But I will...... LOL

It certainly makes me a lot more confident I will still be making a living well into my sixties...

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online