SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#163812 - 03/10/07 09:39 AM Can the PA800 do this?
brooster Offline

I did post this at the Korg forum but I figured I would check here also.

I had a Tyros 1 for a short time. I wanted to do back-up parts - strings, horns etc - at a Church where I would Not be the person determining the tempo or the chord changes. In addition there would be a Drummer and Bass player.

I came up with a way to do it. I selected Any style, it didn't matter which one, and turned down the volume on the drums and bass. I then selected the 3 right hand sounds I wanted to use and saved it all as a registration.

When a song started I hit play on the style that I set up. You could hear nothing. I then would start doing simplfied chords with my left hand. Still no sounds. I then started playing simple one note for the most part accompaniment with my right hand. I could fill in with strings, horns, reeds stacked if I wanted and the tempo didn't matter. No intro, no ending. I could also do some lead oboe, flute, trumpet by only using the right hand with no left hand chords.

I loved the way the Tyros used different accompaniment harmony structures with different instruments.

Can this be done on a PA800??
And while I'm asking, can this be done on other Keyboards?

#163813 - 03/10/07 10:27 AM Re: Can the PA800 do this?
brooster Offline

When I did this a few years back on the Tyros I posted it in a forum. Someone later posted it at this site:
http://www.music2myears.plus.com/

The post was very Tyros specific. Here's my post:

TIP #028......PSR9000 TYROS .

"GROUP HARMONY

I'm an ex-trombone player who bought a Tyros. I figured I could play lead (flute, violin…) parts with the musicians at Church and practice at home on the other features of the Tyros.
For playing lead parts I found that taking the PMOD and most AMOD out the modulation wheel and raising the AMPLITUDE to the 80-90 range helped to give a smooth volume variation when using the Mod wheel. If the patch doesn't have much vibrato, I add it to aftertouch. Nice.

BUT HERE'S MY BIG DISCOVERY!!
Pardon the shouting. Many here may already know about this. I love the Harmony/Echo feature when playing Styles. I'm not good at multi finger right hand harmonies especially when using the left hand for chords when playing Styles. I only found about 10 Styles that I liked. It is amazing the way the harmonies match the instrument groups. The Musicians at Church tend to drop beats, add measures and the tempo varies.
No way to use the Styles with them which was a shame because Harmony/Echo feature would have filled in So nicely. I tried picking a Style, then not starting the style while playing chords with the left hand and doing Harmony/Echo with the right. It did not work correctly this way. Then Eureka! I figured it out. Pick any Style. It makes no difference. Turn the Style volume to ZERO. Turn on the AMCP and the Harmony/Echo buttons then hit the start button. You will hear nothing. When the music starts ignore the flashing lights and do the left hand chords (I use the AI 2 finger) still hearing nothing. When you start playing the single notes with the right hand you have the Harmony/Echo feature working! The musicians can speed up, skip beats, repeat choruses and you can stay right with them!
Brooster"

Can this be done on a PA800?

#163814 - 03/10/07 11:22 AM Re: Can the PA800 do this?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
If I understand correctly, it is what Lowery introduced on their organs in the 70s called AOC (Automatic Organ Computer) and it added the notes/chords played with the left hand to the right hand melody.
Since the 80s all manufactures have incorporated this feature, as well as greatly expanding on it. (Allowing different sounds for the added right hand notes as well as different combinations of notes for the type of music (Big Band Reeds, Open Harmony, Church etc) being played)
So if you change your board you will not have to worry about loosing the feature.
Hope this helps

Bill

#163815 - 03/10/07 12:54 PM Re: Can the PA800 do this?
brooster Offline

I think what I am mentioning is a bit different. The left hand chords made No sound, only the right hand was heard.
I could tap the left hand simple chord, lift my left hand and the right hand still played the proper chording until I tapped a different chord with the left hand.

#163816 - 03/11/07 12:22 AM Re: Can the PA800 do this?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Booster
That’s correct, however on most boards you select the left hand hold button, which keeps the lower hand chord until you select the next one, then you turn the volumes of the left hand/styles to zero and you will just hear the right hand with the chord from the left hand playing the sounds you have selected with your right hand.
Each manufacture had there own name for it, Yamaha was MOC (Melody on chord) Wersi was Wersichord etc.
Enjoy whatever you play

Bill

#163817 - 03/12/07 03:33 PM Re: Can the PA800 do this?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
In Rolandspeak, it's Melody Intelligence. They have a mode where you can bring it in above a certain velocity, allowing you to just bring it in for certain parts of a phrase.

It's really cool for big band sax voicings, George Shearing type block melodies, all kinds of stuff.....

#163818 - 03/15/07 04:49 AM Re: Can the PA800 do this?
Booby Offline

Hi,

this function, in Korg keyboards, is called "Ensemble" and do exactly what you are asking for.

Hope this help.

Best Regards.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online