SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#211951 - 12/06/06 03:05 PM I've made a decision......
Stein67 Offline

......to get a Tyros 2!! Happy days....however, as usual, I would like to ask a question of the Synth Zone congregation!!

A brief outline of me 1st. I am 30 years old and have been playing keyboard since 7 (piano since 3).....my first keyboard was a bontempi!!

Anyhow, I grew up with arranger keyboards, but about 9/10 years ago decided to go the synth route as I was looking for more powerful individual sounds for song writing.

Now I feel the top arrangers across the board are sonically a match for the likes of the Triton etc.., so thats how I came to the decision to get a Tyros 2.

Since I have been out of the way of arrangers over the past few years, I rely on the internet but specifically you guys for advice, which is very much appreciated.

My question at the minute rests with styles. Where and how do I load up new/extra styles to the T2? Are they generally as good as the on board styles, and I presume there are many available. What sort of $$/££ would they generally be?

Once I get the keyboard, that I hope to use for pre production of new song ideas to speed the process up rather than loading up VSTs and creating drum patterns etc., etc., I will hopefully post a few songs up for you guys to listen to. I have a very eclectic taste in music, but my heart lies with jazz and blues.....so hopefully I'll post a few songs soon.

Thanks for all the advice.

#211952 - 12/06/06 03:18 PM Re: I've made a decision......
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
go to www.psrtutorial.com and there you will find thousands of additional free styles. Yamaha also makes styles available for a price which you will receive all that information in the box when you buy your Tyros2.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#211953 - 12/06/06 05:20 PM Re: I've made a decision......
TwoNuts Offline

Loc: Vancouver, Washington. USA
Congrats on your decision to buy the Tyros 2. I love mine. I think that you will enjoy it very much.

Regards,

Dennis L. Almond
aka...TwoNuts

Dennis L. Almond
aka...TwoNuts

#211954 - 12/06/06 06:10 PM Re: I've made a decision......
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Congrats on your choice.

I use the T2 as a dual purpose machine doing gigs as a one-man and with a band. I use the T2 with a Korg Triton Ex 76 and the two sounds complement each other wonderfully. I've been able to amass a collection of like 2000 styles some really good some really bad. Very few will rival that found in the T2. The Yamaha IDC site has a great collection of high quality styles. Look at those.

------------------
Al Giordano
www.al-giordano.com

Tyros 2, Yamaha P-250, Korg Triton Extreme 76, Roland VK8-M, DW Collectors Series Drums

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#211955 - 12/06/06 06:27 PM Re: I've made a decision......
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I agree with George--Go to the PSR Tutorial site and you will find more incredible style files than anyone can imagine. Granted, most were initially created for the PSR-2000, but there has been a huge number of additional styles created, tweeked and tuned for the Tyros and Tyros2 keyboards as well.

Congratulations on the T2,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#211956 - 12/06/06 07:52 PM Re: I've made a decision......
Jørgen Sørensen Offline

Loc: Denmark
Hi

Go to http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/stylesites.htm and you will find links to sites with 10,000+ of styles.

Jørgen

BTW: Lots of Yamaha software and resources at my site (link in signature below).

------------------
The Unofficial YAMAHA Keyboard Resource Site

#211957 - 12/06/06 11:25 PM Re: I've made a decision......
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Stein
If you can afford to spend more also consider the Wersi Ikarus as this is almost as easy to operate as the Tyros 2, and you can load in your VSTs, (Just like you do on the computer) Akai samples etc, and use them as if they were an internal voice, which means that they can also be used in styles, (You don’t have to keep going into or loading the VST) also as it is software based you will not have to change the board after 2 years or so to get the latest sounds and features. (You just update the OAS software)
In addition you get a more robust case, 76 notes and if you include the new Wersi Open Art Arranger software, you will be able to direct play all Yamaha styles without conversion. (So you don’t have to spend hours tweaking the converted style)
As a final point you also get Real Drums, which are recordings of a Real Drummer playing a Real Drum Kit.
Just another option

Bill

#211958 - 12/07/06 08:11 AM Re: I've made a decision......
Haku Offline

Loc: Finland
Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:
Hi Stein
If you can afford to spend more also consider the Wersi Ikarus

Hm... a little research via google revealed that some people have problems with Ikarus running Windows XP. To me it doesn't seem reliable enough for live situations.

#211959 - 12/07/06 09:27 AM Re: I've made a decision......
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hello Haku
Some of the early Ikarus boards had problems with cooling, this was increased and they are now as reliable live as any other board.
Don’t forget all Wersi OAS instruments have been used in live performances for over 6 years now, so there is no need to worry.

Bill

#211960 - 12/08/06 02:30 PM Re: I've made a decision......
Stein67 Offline

Many thanks for all the replies guys. And I will certainly check out the websites mentioned as a source for further styles etc..,

Abacus, I am sure the product you mention is excellent, however after much thought I have decided to go for the Tyros 2. It was a face off between that and the PA800, but I am going for the Yamaha. But thanks for the info, and I like to keep an eye out for all keyboards etc.., in the future, who knows?

I work in the trade and will be stocking the Tyros 2 at work also, and will also look to stock the PA800 next year as I was in discussion with KORG today.

Some great products around, and through the business I hope to try most of the exciting new arrangers on the market. But at the moment I have decided on the Tyros 2, and I can't wait to get my hands on one

I am a little undecided on the speaker system with the Tyros 2. They look fantastic and I have heard some mixed reports. They will only be used in a home environment, because when I go back gigging next year in a 6 piece band, the Tyros 2 will be tucked up nice and safe at home while I use the likes of the P70 or p140 stage piano!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online