SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#135233 - 11/22/06 07:08 AM Wersi OAS and Lionstracs Mediastation comparison
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hello All
Finally got round to having a good look at the Lionstracs videos which shows how the Mediastation works, and so I can now make a comparison with the Wersi OAS instrument. (I have not included sounds because being open keyboards you can load in pretty much any sound you want, so you will always be able to get the sounds that you require)
Here is my Personal View
1. Basic Operation
In the Mediastation a lot of buttons and screens need to be accessed to set the instrument up, also when you press a button the entire screen changes which means you have to keep switching between screens, you also only have a small number of physical sound bank and Style buttons, as well as roughly half the number of physical sliders.
In the Wersi when you start up it always selects the last preset used, and when you select the various parts of the instrument (Styles sounds etc) only part of the screen changes so that you can still directly access other parts of the instrument which includes sounds, harmoniser, mic, styles, etc.
2. Split Points
In the Mediastation you have to go into a separate screen, with Wersi you just press the split button on the main screen and press the key where you wish the split to occur, this also applies when you further split the left hand and or right hand. (The buttons are on the main screen)
3. Editing Features
Are quite comprehensive on both instruments, however with Wersi you can access all basic editing from the Main screen, (Should you need to make any simple edits between songs) only needing to go in depth for really serious editing.
4. Style sections
Both instruments can play pretty much the same types of files, with the Wersi having an additional Real Drums setting; however when it comes to Wav files the Mediastation pulls ahead as you can alter the tempo using the Time Stretch function, (The Wersi is fixed) however the demonstration of Pitch shifting/Transposing of an Audio file, then any more then a semitone either way became totally unnatural. (Which is strange?)
5. EMC Style Works
This can be fully integrated into the Wersi, which means that Wersi have full control of the mapping, and so a much better conversion can take place. (I have not included the new Open Art Arranger as it is not available till next month, but this will move the style section into a whole new ball park)
6. VST instruments
Both can have many loaded in, however you can only use 4 simultaneously on the Wersi, (However as far as I am aware the VST assignments can be stored in the presets, which means if you require different VSTs for the next song, you only have to press one button)
Loading of the VSTs into the Wersi Host take no more then 2 button presses, and then you just map your chosen voices to the sound buttons, which means you can select them at any time you require. (If you require a voice you have not mapped, you can access it directly using the Quickload button on the main screen)
7. Layers
The Wersi has 3 for the right hand, 2 for the left hand and if connected 1 for the pedals.
8. Software
Both can run pretty much the same software as a normal computer.
9, Build Quality
Both have metal cases so no problems here.
10. Ease of Use
The Wersi wins hands down (This will be further strengthened with the updates due out during 2007) and those coming from a hardware arranger will have no problems adapting, even when it comes to VSTs, Workstation uses may find the easy operations a trifle alien at first.
Workstation uses (Or those that still think arrangers are a joke) will take to the Mediastation like a Duck to Water, as it so much more then they could ever dream of.
For arranger players it will probably be a steep learning curve to get the hang of the MediaStations capabilities. (The Wersi hides the complexities in the background)
11. General
Both can do the same as a separate computer; however the Mediastation is more of a Workstation Arranger, where as The Wersi is more of an Arranger Workstation.
12. Price
In the short term both are expensive, however in the long term they both become a hell of a lot cheaper then Hardware boards.
Also remember that Arranger Keyboards always cost more then Workstation Keyboards. (Due I suspect to the greater R & D required making arrangers easier to operate)
Finally, which one is best is easy to answer
Whichever one suits you
Final Note
If you purchase either one of these boards, once you have started to use them for your performance, in the vast majority of cases you will begin to question why you ever bought a Hardware board.
I hope you found the above helpful, however I would like to reiterate that the above is my personal opinion only.
Enjoy whatever you play

Bill

#135234 - 11/22/06 08:20 AM Re: Wersi OAS and Lionstracs Mediastation comparison
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
Here's my take as I own both Wersi and Lionstracs:

1. Basic Operation

Both have similar features but the Wersi's GUI is so well laid out anyone can run it without cracking a manual. The Wersi has lots more real time controls, more sliders, and more dedicated buttons. This further simplifies the navigation. All those real time controls add to the cost but the benefits far outweigh the cost.

2. Split Points

Like the Wersi the Mediastation does have dedicated buttons to choose between whole or split mode. The Wersi split functions are more elaborate and easier accessed.

3. Editing Features

Both have extensive editing but the Wersi has more elaborate screens for the sounds, synthesizer, style, and sequencer pages. The Wersi main screen also has more information available so the user can easily see what is going on.

4. Style sections

Both can play the same styles as well as import styles from other manufacturers. The Wersi does have Real Drums which is a nice feature. Lionstracs can play two WAV or MP3 files simultaneously. Both can do pitch shift and timestretch in real time.

5. VST instruments

Both can play numerous VST's but Wersi's VST integration is superior. Once loaded into the Wersi VST sounds can be recalled like any other factory sound, simply press a sound button and you are ready to go.

6. Sounds

The Wersi wins hands down when it comes to the factory sound library (I'm not counting GIGA or Kontakt files). Wersi has some of the finest Orchestral and Acoustic instruments of any keyboard. Both the Mediastation and Wersi can load GIGA, Kontakt, WAV, and other sound and audio files. The sound output of the Lionstracs has more headroom and is more dynamic than any keyboard I have heard. Even Korgs Oasys doesn't have the dynamics and headroom of the Mediastation.

6. Build Quality

The build quality of the Lionstracs is very good but its not comparable to the Wersi. Wersi seriously overengineered their case. German technology at its finest! The weight can be an issue with some because the Wersi is so heavy.

7. Ease of Use

The Wersi wins hands down over any arranger made. All keyboards should be this simple to use! A great user interface is one of the things you are paying for when buying a Wersi.

8. Speakers/Sound System

Wersi has an incredible multi-speaker audio system built in that rivals any arranger speaker system I've heard. Lionstracs has no audio system available.

9. Lamps

Lionstracs has two built in sockets for little lamps so seeing the keyboard in dark conditions is much easier. Wersi has no lamp sockets.

10. Price

Wersi's design is more intuitive and its factory sounds are superior but the Lionstracs costs about half the money and does nearly the same functions. One could buy a Mediastation, additonal VST's and sound libraries, and still the price would be less than the basic Wersi Abacus. Lionstracs wins hands down for price alone.

[This message has been edited by Ensnareyou (edited 11-22-2006).]

#135235 - 11/22/06 09:04 AM Re: Wersi OAS and Lionstracs Mediastation comparison
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hello Ensnareyou
Can you confirm that the Wersi can now do time stretch and pitch shift, as up to OAS 6 (The version I currently run) it was not an option, and I haven’t seen it mentioned in any of the sales literature for OAS 7.
Regards

Bill

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online