SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#194437 - 11/16/06 05:40 PM OT - Windows Resizing Problem - Help!
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
I have a new software program on a new laptop with which I cannot resize windows within that program. Here's what happens:

I open a program which has some windows within that program. When I left click and bring the cursor to the side of the window, the double arrow (resizing arrow) appears. But when I pull the cursor (which is now the double arrow), nothing happens. The side of the window does not move, the window will not resize.

When I run the same program on my other laptop, the resizing works properly. Both laptops have XP Pro. Seems like it's gotta be something under the display or mouse settings, but I haven't been able to find anything. Any help appreciated.

Glenn

#194438 - 11/16/06 11:40 PM Re: OT - Windows Resizing Problem - Help!
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hello GlennT
The Windows resizing is set by the program itself, and it could quite easily be by design so as not to cover up other Windows, or that the graphics card is not powerful enough.
Are you programs exactly the same versions, is your screen resolution the same on both computers, do you have the same Graphics card in both and also the same (Or more) Ram in both. (A lot of Laptops use up Ram memory for there Graphics)
Any of the above could cause your problems, so it is a matter of a process of elimination.
Hope this helps at least a bit, however also check on the manufactures web site as it may be a known problem with certain computers.

Bill

#194439 - 11/17/06 03:29 AM Re: OT - Windows Resizing Problem - Help!
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Check your screen size, too.
(right-click on the desktop-properties-settings)
When you maximize the screen, does it fill the desktop thne? If not, then you cannot drag it larger than it allows itself to stretch.

#194440 - 11/17/06 06:33 AM Re: OT - Windows Resizing Problem - Help!
GlennT Offline

Both programs are the same (loaded from the same disc), pleanty of ram, changing screen resolution doesn't help.

Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:
Are you programs exactly the same versions, is your screen resolution the same on both computers, do you have the same Graphics card in both and also the same (Or more) Ram in both.

#194441 - 11/17/06 07:09 AM Re: OT - Windows Resizing Problem - Help!
abacus Offline

Hello GlennT
Have just re-read your post, and it says that you Left Click and then move the curser to the window, whereas the normal way is to move the mouse curser until the 2 arrows appear and then click and hold the left mouse button, not releasing the button until you have moved the border to the new position. Are you sure you have not got them mixed up.
Another item to have a look at in the program you are using is to see if there is an option that when selected prevents the Windows from being re-sized.
Hope this helps

Bill

#194442 - 11/17/06 07:30 AM Re: OT - Windows Resizing Problem - Help!
GlennT Offline

Thanks, Bill, but either way it doesn't work. No option that disengages window resizing. I've contacted the software company and so far no fix. I has to be something with my settings since it works on the other computer. BTW, Word and Excel resizing works OK.

Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:
you Left Click and then move the curser to the window, whereas the normal way is to move the mouse curser until the 2 arrows appear and then click and hold the left mouse button, not releasing the button until you have moved the border to the new position. Are you sure you have not got them mixed up.
Another item to have a look at in the program you are using is to see if there is an option that when selected prevents the Windows from being re-sized

#194443 - 11/17/06 11:06 AM Re: OT - Windows Resizing Problem - Help!
abacus Offline

Hello GlennT
If other programs work fine, then the fault is most likely related to the program itself, you could try un-installing it, and then Re- installing it to see if this solves the problem.
BTW What program is it?
Hope this helps

Bill

#194444 - 11/17/06 01:30 PM Re: OT - Windows Resizing Problem - Help!
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Is the program supposed to be run at a screen resolution other than what you have your laptop set to? There may be a minimum size the window is not allowed to go beyond.....

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online