SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#179021 - 10/21/06 12:53 PM alternative to arranger?
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
as a jazz player, I've been using arrangers (Korg is35, Technics kn2600, Gem genesys ProS) and pretty much kept to the bass/drums/percussion except for using the full
arrangements sparingly as a little added color on some tunes. I've been been thinking I could live without the full accompaniments altogether and might have a better choice of KB's if there were any workstation kb's that could provide bass lines w/chord recognition..anyone know of any?

#179022 - 10/21/06 07:07 PM Re: alternative to arranger?
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Apart from arrangers which you have already stated parts of a style can be muted leaving just Bass & Percussion...All / Most Workstation Synths have an Arpeggiator which will follow your chord changes and could be used for Bass & Percussion.

[This message has been edited by Graham UK (edited 10-21-2006).]

#179023 - 10/21/06 07:08 PM Re: alternative to arranger?
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
Well, many workstations have arpeggiators that play patterns along with whatever chords you are playing. I'd expect you'd have to program the bass line patterns yourself though, as most workstations are not thinkging about jazz musicians. The Yamaha Motifs have a very nice arpeggiator. So does the Korg Karma. If you like programming your own arpeggios I'm sure these synthes could do what you want. Most of the built in factory arpeggios are probably geared to the techno/hiphop genres.

#179024 - 10/21/06 09:11 PM Re: alternative to arranger?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
You are not, as a jazz player, going to find simple arpeggiation quite what you need. In fact, for my tastes, I rarely find even the arrangers' bass lines inspiring for jazz, it's that whole question of 'how does the arranger know the NEXT chord in advance', because that's how a bassist thinks when he (or she!) is playing, and it affects the line drastically. Arrangers, because of the nature of the beast, can only do simple, repeated motifs, rather than true voice leading. If you want bass and drums to do the true jazz thing, you are going to have to think of SMFs or mp3 players, and program what you want in advance, otherwise, what you are already using is by far the better choice.

On the other hand, if your taste in jazz tends towards the trip hop and acid jazz school, a MotifES or Triton, with a lot of work (!) might do - but if you want to swing or go straight ahead, sorry, arrangers are IT.....

#179025 - 10/21/06 09:23 PM Re: alternative to arranger?
Clif Anderson Offline

If you need chord recognition, then your choices are Oasys, Karma, and Motif. The Motif is last because it does not recognize inversions. However, as Graham says, you might be happy with an arpeggiator even without chord recognition.

#179026 - 10/22/06 05:44 AM Re: alternative to arranger?
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
thanks all for replies, very informative. I'm in a position now
where I'm passing by the dealer I bought my Genesys ProS from on trip home to Miami on Tuesday, and she may take back that kb and can offer me Yamaha product in return. Looks like my choice here is between Tyros 2 and MO6...
things I need are what was discussed above re bass lines, dedicated transpose, easy switching between styles/sounds, tap tempo--great basic sounds: B3, piano, rhodes, vibes,
guitars, muted tpt, full brass, flute, voices, strings, a few more..btw I use bop, swing, latin, brazilian, funk as my
basic rhythm platforms. Waddaya think:T2 or Mo6?

------------------
Miami Mo

#179027 - 10/22/06 07:44 AM Re: alternative to arranger?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Mo, why would you want anything other than an arranger..Do you really want to develop your own bass lines, and even more important...drums..
It is so much better getting close to want you want with an arranger..You can edit or write your own styles, and use only what works for you.

Once anyone is use to an arranger[and use them to their fullest]..will never want to use a workstation in a live situation [by itself].

Of the two you mentioned, take the Tyros..

#179028 - 10/22/06 07:57 AM Re: alternative to arranger?
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
[B]Mo, why would you want anything other than an arranger..Do you really want to develop your own bass lines, and even more important...drums..
It is so much better getting close to want you want with an arranger..You can edit or write your own styles, and use only what works for you.

Once anyone is use to an arranger[and use them to their fullest]..will never want to use a workstation in a live situation [by itself].

Of the two you mentioned, BB]TAKE THE TYROS

Hey Fran, are you starting to swing the other way....hehehe...good call....
TR

[This message has been edited by Tony Rome (edited 10-22-2006).]

#179029 - 10/22/06 08:40 AM Re: alternative to arranger?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Hmmmmm, let me think........ a $4000 arranger with dozens of jazz styles built in, or a $1200 workstation with little ability to follow jazz chords.....?

#179030 - 10/22/06 01:05 PM Re: alternative to arranger?
George V Offline

Loc: Sofia
Guys,

None of you mentioned the sophisticated operating system of the MO6. I think it should be taken into account.

George

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online