SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#149557 - 09/20/06 02:43 AM What inspires you when composing?
Carrie-uk Offline

Loc: England
Hi,

I've figured out through the years that the only time I ever compose new music is when I'm feeling quite depressed about something. For example, when I was still living in the states and counting down the days until I left to be with my husband in England, I composed one song after another, with seemingly little effort.

Most other times when I sit down with the purpose of composing, it just ends up being an exercise in futility. Frustrating!

I think for me, creating new music is a tool I use to express my deepest emotions, and I guess I only need it when I'm feeling particularly down.

Anyone else find this? What sparks your creativity?

Carrie

#149558 - 09/20/06 04:20 AM Re: What inspires you when composing?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Ditto here. Emotion is a big generator. Also, a chord or a chance progression might trigger an idea. Not that I compose often, but when ideas come to me it's usually the unique sound of two chords or a few measures of idle plucking around.

#149559 - 09/20/06 04:49 AM Re: What inspires you when composing?
George V Offline

Loc: Sofia
Hello,

You are right - Headaches inspire at times. However, most of the times I get inspired while just playing on the keyboard.

Kind regards,
George

#149560 - 09/20/06 10:57 AM Re: What inspires you when composing?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Sadly, the only music I compose is used for soundtracks for training/industrial films we write, shoot and edit. Since I know the images, subject and purpose, appropriate progressions and tones come from those other elements. Length, intro and ending come from the actual elapsed time for the images and voice-overs.

Boring, but profitable....ocassionally, fun!

Russ

#149561 - 09/20/06 12:10 PM Re: What inspires you when composing?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
A memory[past] usually triggers the processes, both composing and performing.

#149562 - 09/20/06 12:15 PM Re: What inspires you when composing?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
...... BUT, it is still creative, Russ ... much like various types of 'pop' music today, it is created for the profit motive, and there is nothing wrong in that ...

I have not written much, and I don't know how much 'substance' there is to what I've done, but generally I am inspired by what's happening around me ... I've written a song about my first lost love,(haven't we all?), and then songs that pertained to my 'new love' who became my wife, and a couple of 'blues' type tunes about situations I was in during those particular times ...
And, absolutely, I have 'composed' stuff just playing around on the kb, but not anything I've saved for further development...
And if any of us performs an 'ad-lib' solo, we've just 'composed' something ...
t.

#149563 - 09/22/06 09:51 PM Re: What inspires you when composing?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
A half a bottle of Scapa single malt Orkney Isle scotch usually does the trick for me....... (that, and a rent payment due!)

#149564 - 09/24/06 07:03 PM Re: What inspires you when composing?
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Hi Carrie & others:

Composing for me usually begins with a lyric or line or discovered subject or topic. In my early years, it happened more often while traveling and most often while driving alone. (This can be bad for one's health.)

It requires having the patience to pull off the side of the road, find a pen/pencil and paper, etc.

Sometimes, I awaken in the middle of the night with a line or two and try to force myself to get up and put it on paper. If I don't, by the next morning, it will be gone forever.

At other times, I may hear music that stirs something within. This can be a simple beat, a guitar riff, an intro or an ending on an arranger keyboard or even a sound that triggers some emotion. I am multi-genre and enjoy Pop, Country, Blues, Latin, Gospel, Jazz and R&B in it's various facets. My guess is that Country makes up about 50% of my catalog. I am not qualified to write Classical but I really enjoy hearing most types. I draw the line at RAP.

I try to record a song as quickly as I complete the lyrics and rough melody. It helps to keep it fresh since I don't read or write music in formal terms.

Interesting topic.

All my best,

Dave Rice http://cdbaby.com/cd/daverice

#149565 - 09/26/06 04:21 AM Re: What inspires you when composing?
Carrie-uk Offline

Loc: England
Great to hear everyone's comments on this topic

I like Diki's best so far, although if I drank a half bottle of scotch I don't think I'd make anything musical! LOL!

Re: profit motive - I've tried writing music for money before, and it quickly killed all inspiration for me. I was no longer writing for myself I guess, so it felt fake. Believe me, I wish I could write for money though!

#149566 - 09/26/06 05:27 AM Re: What inspires you when composing?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
In my case, just sitting down at the keyboard and trying out some of the thousands of new style files does the trick. Everytime I hear a new one, even some of the dance styles, it becomes hard to do anything other than play the keyboard, often creating a new song. Unfortunately, they tend to drift off into the cobwebs of my aging mind where they reside until the next new batch of styles comes over the computer. One day soon, I'll get creative and record a couple of those tunes, if for nothing else, just to get them out of those distant brain cavities.

A couple green bananna margarettas would probably fire up those creative juices as well. Makes for very happy songs about palm trees, snow-white sand, torquoise water and sailing.

I can readily relate to Russ's comments as well. The same is true for me when I have a magazine or newspaper article deadline, must come up with a story for an editor who frequently picks the topic he wants covered. Lots of creativity is required, however, it's all channeled in one, specific direction.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online