SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#169406 - 09/06/06 12:07 PM How to set a registration button to NOT play a style
RobertG Offline

Loc: Southeastern PA, USA
I am having a problem with setting a registration button to NOT play a style on my T2 when other buttons do play styles in the same registration bank. This may be an issue on other arrangers as well.

As many others do, I use a set of registration settings as a single bank of multiple buttons for one song so I can use the A-B-C-etc buttons to quickly change a multitude of configuration options in real time.

For some songs I may not use an accompaniment for the verses, but use an accompaniment for the chorus. As example, Registration button “A” may not have accompaniment set and Registration button “B” does. The T2 does not allow you to set “no style” as the style setting, or for that matter, “no voice” to L, R1, R2, R3 voice settings.

With these setting, when playing the chorus, with Registration button “B”, I will in some way end the accompaniment, let’s say Ending I. If I hit the Registration “A” button a fraction of a second too early, as Ending I is completing and I am preparing to go to the next verse, the unwanted Style associated with Registration button “A” starts to play. This is a real pain.

I have tried, without success of making sure that “Accompaniment” and “Start” and “Stop” and “Stop Sync” buttons are all off (unlit) when I save the settings in Registration button “A”. However, if the very end of the Ending I of the style from Registration button “B” is still sounding (i.e. a dying cymbal crash) sure enough the style associated with Registration button “A” begins to play when pushed.

My plan to solve the problem of Yamaha not allowing you to have a registration button with no possibility of a style playing is to create a blank style called “No Style”. Similarly, I will create a blank voice called “No Voice” and use those to fill in the sections of the registration that I want to blank out. (This makes sense to me since several people have told me I have no style and no voice )

I am wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem (with the keyboard, not with critics) and if they tried the above listed solution, or something different.

#169407 - 09/06/06 12:15 PM Re: How to set a registration button to NOT play a style
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Robert ... I don't own a T2, so this is coming from 'left field' ... but, couldn't you mute the voices you don't want playing in a particular registration?
t.

#169408 - 09/06/06 01:45 PM Re: How to set a registration button to NOT play a style
jwyvern Offline

Robert,
I'm interested in producing Regs. that for example would change from Split Keyboard to Full Keyboard playing without changing Style or voices, not too dissimilar from your requirement.
The Style can be tackled as you suggest by saving a Reg. with "No Style" selected. This special style has to be a copy of any style & saved to User or HDisc or stick memory so that it can be deleted once the Reg has been saved. Then when the Reg. is activated and it can't find "No Style" it leaves the currently playing Style in place. In theory you could do the same with Voices, but I need help in thinking this through- because although we can copy a voice & call it "No voice" to a deletable User or Disc memory the copies in this case only act as shortcuts or links for Tyros back to the appropriate Presets. So the copy can be deleted after storing the Reg. but Tyros still finds the Preset voice the copy is based on & changes it in spite of! We would need to delete the Preset (not possible) and even then I'm not sure that Tyros wouldn't replace the wanted voice with the missing-voice icon & silence! So unless someone comes up with a way round this we're left with having to use the Freeze button (set up to freeze voices, which may not be convenient)if we want to achieve no change.

John

#169409 - 09/06/06 02:23 PM Re: How to set a registration button to NOT play a style
KeithB Offline

Loc: Melbourne AUSTRALIA
Somewhere there is an instruction on how to do this, but I can't remember where!
It is to do with setting up registrations with a dummy style. You could use a style that you never want, set all the registrations, then remove that style from the keyboard (obviously not a preset file) I recall that you could rename an existing style, then revert it's name to the original after saving all registrations. The keyboard when it cannot find the registration style does nothing and so the style does not change. I think that is how it is.
Keith

#169410 - 09/06/06 03:06 PM Re: How to set a registration button to NOT play a style
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Robert,

As long as you select a single parameter in the Registration Memory Contents page the registration information can be saved and recalled. For example, you can save just the Pedal or Mic settings without saving anything else and the only thing that registration button will recall is the selected item. You do not have to save a style, voice, or anything other than a single piece of information to make the registration recognized. Keep in mind, however, that the information that is currently turned on will remain functional unless it is turned off. If you wish to use a particular style but not have it playing during certain segments of a song, such as during a time when you are playing your own instrumental introduction, you can have that style volume turned down to Zero in registration number 1, then set the style volume at 100 in registration 2, and use the remaining registrations for various voices, or for turning off certain parameters or style voices. All of this can be saved into registration memory.

I just did this on the PSR-3000, which has the same registration features as the T2. Essentially, the keyboard will do exactly what you tell it to do.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#169411 - 09/11/06 12:19 PM Re: How to set a registration button to NOT play a style
RobertG Offline

Loc: Southeastern PA, USA
Tony/Gary: The setting volume to zero/turning off the part got me close.

Tony: Great hit from "left field" muting the voices was a good idea similar to Gary's suggestion but with the same limitation.

Gary: I tried setting style volume to zero and turning off the parts. They both work with a limitation. If you switch to the registration with the style volume/part off the style continues to play although not sound. So when you switch to the next registration it might not start at the beginning of the measure but were ever it is in the measure from the 1st registration button.

#169412 - 09/11/06 04:58 PM Re: How to set a registration button to NOT play a style
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Robert, Keith’s post originally posted by Scott Yee works well for me.
The registration has no where to look, so a style is not selected.

If I understand your post correctly, then Keith and Scott have your answer.

What imagination --- create a style, then create your registration, then delete the style you created, the registration has no choice, it has no where to look.

John C.

#169413 - 09/11/06 05:04 PM Re: How to set a registration button to NOT play a style
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by bruno123:
Robert, Keith’s post originally posted by Scott Yee works well for me.

For anyone interested, here's a link to my original posting thread on this.

- Scott

#169414 - 09/11/06 05:23 PM Re: How to set a registration button to NOT play a style
MrEd Offline

Thank YEE, SCOTT!
Very useful stuff.

What happened to the book?
I saw a book title "Pushing all the right buttons", was that you?

#169415 - 09/11/06 05:30 PM Re: How to set a registration button to NOT play a style
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Robert,
Have you tried using the foot pedal assignment "Style Start/Stop"?

Depending on what other parameters you may want to change such as voice, ending, etc., you can either (A) hit the foot pedal again to start on the downbeat or (B) set up your preferences in a 2nd registration button that will instantly activate your new preferences on the downbeat.

Just be sure the sync/start button is activated in your 2nd registration.
Eddie

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online