SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#173648 - 09/02/06 12:27 PM what about lightweight PA's?
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
club i played last summer had new Kustom Profile One.
geat clarity, effects, portability, inexpensive, but twin 6" splkrs in each enclosure couldn't handle heavy bass bottom on kb even at medium volume. I've used one powered jbl12 strapped on a roller w/little Behringer mixer and yamaha effects box..easy setup but sound just ok, not great..don't understand the jbl love affairs. also have 2 12' Squire trapezoids w/dual Phonic head..very very good sound but I'd like to go simpler and even lighter..That rig is about 26 lbs each unit. Never liked the sound of any Passports i heard bands use, and I have heard 2 bands lately with the new Bose PAS and I understand the advantages but it doesn't sound all that warm to me and doesn't stop the bands from playing too loud as claimed.
has anyone tried the new lite Yamaha Pas? How bout the
Phonic mini-package w/mini-head and lite 10"spkrs?
any others to recommend?
Miami Mo

#173649 - 09/02/06 01:25 PM Re: what about lightweight PA's?
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
I think any small system is going to be weak in the bottom end unless you add a subwoofer.

#173650 - 09/02/06 02:27 PM Re: what about lightweight PA's?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Mo,

I tried the Yamaha when it first came on the market. I took it back two hours later--it was mediocre at best.

As for bands playing too loud, sometimes it's difficult for some folks to get away from the old playing techniques they've been using for years with conventional sound systems. When the Bose L1 is set up properly, it blows away every conventional sound system I've ever heard.

The best conventional system I've used, one that was relatively lightweight, was the Barbetta Sona 32C. Lots of bottom end, great mids, excellent highs and all the features anyone could want in a 32-pound package. You'll find them at www.barbetta.com but it ain't cheap. Street price is about $699.

The next best thing is the Logitech Z-5500 system, which I still use for some small jobs. Great highs, fair mids, gut thumping lows and with a street price of $299 it rocks. I'm installing one in an Italian restaurant next week for a fellow performer.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#173651 - 09/02/06 08:00 PM Re: what about lightweight PA's?
keysvocalssax Offline

thanks guys, informative replies. Gary, I will check those out when I get back to Miami in Nov..glad someone is interested in swapping real information, but check out how few reply to this topic, which affects the sound we all need, vs. dozens replying about what car they drive, and hundreds having pissing contests about T2's and 3K's and G70's that they already own. what are they learning or teaching?
Miami Mo
ps 2 weeks ago I heard a trio that used an older Bose system. kb player played his new S90, sound was fabulous. Last week he brought in a new Bose PAS column. Didn't sound as good: had clarity,lacked warmth.
kb player agreed, but said he couldn't take lugging the
heavy speakers around any more. Both that band and the
previous one I heard last summer on the new Bose actually played louder on the PAS than their prior systems.
I believe the reason is: the very thing that they are selling
as an advantage is also a disadvantage..i.e., if the sound
stays as strong at a distance as on stage, then when players set the volume they are used to hearing, instead
of a falloff in the audience, it is as loud as on stage..where
musicians like it, but not audiences..especially those who deliberately sat in the back to be further from the
sound source--now they can't escape. I suppose for a
concert or big hall or in a park, it's advantageous..but in
a restaurant/bar that's intimate, where many of us gig,
we will have to turn down even more than usual when the
owner says it's too loud out there...

#173652 - 09/02/06 08:11 PM Re: what about lightweight PA's?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
KVS,
I took one of the Yamaha PAS systems out for trial and it didn't do the job for me. You can find my review of it by using the search feature on this forum.
One problem a lot of folks have with the new Bose system is turning it up too loud. It's hard to realize that the artist is hearing pretty much what the audience is hearing. We are SO used to turning up really loud on the bandstand so the sound will project to the audience. The Bose is a totally different concept and is a totally beautiful thing once you adjust your thinking (and hearing).
I have used just about every imagineable sound setup from huge rack-mount amps, speakers, monitors to Barbettas, to Powered JBLs, to Logitechs, and most everything in between.
I agree with Gary's ranking: 1. Bose L1 2. Barbettas (although I like the 31c better than 32c) and 3. Logitechs. But in my opinion there are pretty vast diffences between the three, in performance, quality and price as well.
I am so satisfied with my gear right now, that I'm almost disappointed that I'm not really searching for anything new! That's half the fun.
DonM

#173653 - 09/02/06 08:40 PM Re: what about lightweight PA's?
keysvocalssax Offline

do u need a mixer w/the logitechs?
do u use all six speakers on a gig?
how do u set it up?

------------------
Miami Mo

#173654 - 09/03/06 02:54 AM Re: what about lightweight PA's?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Miami Mo:

Based on the advice of DonM and Gary, I bought a Barbetta, ( 31c). I was looking for a quick set up for 1 hour gigs. I'm very happy with it. Easy to transport and setup. I also use the Logitech z5500s for longer gigs. I'd love the Bose, but as a part time musician the cost is a little high to justify. But Christmas is a few months away

#173655 - 09/03/06 04:58 AM Re: what about lightweight PA's?
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by keysvocalssax:
do u need a mixer w/the logitechs?
do u use all six speakers on a gig?
how do u set it up?

Search on this forum and you'll find much info.

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#173656 - 09/03/06 06:34 AM Re: what about lightweight PA's?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Mo,

You can use a mixer with the Logitech Z-5500, and some performers on this forum are using the Alesis 6FX, which sells for about $99 online.

In my case, I rarely use a mixer, and everything is fired directly through the keyboard.

As for the number of speakers used, you must use all 6 (5 satellites + sub) to get the desired results. The center speaker boosts the mid range sounds, while the pair of fronts and rears provide crisp highs and some high-end mid sounds. The sub is outstanding and rally must be turned down to about 25 percent or it becomes overpowering. It's a great system for smaller venues with audieces to 125. It's 500 watts RMS, 1,100 watts peak and the vast majority of the individuals that have tried this system raved about the results.

There have been one or two individuals that complained about the mid range sounds, therefore, if you are considering purchasing the Z-5500 I suggest buying from an outlet that has a liberal return policy with no penalties. Then, if you don't like what you hear, take it back for a full refund.

The same is true with the Bose L1. Bose has an excellent, 45-day, no questions asked, return policy. This is one of the features that prompted me to take the plunge. Obviously, the L1 didn't go back to Bose--I love it!

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#173657 - 09/03/06 08:53 AM Re: what about lightweight PA's?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I am one of the folks Gary was talking about - I use the 55s with an Alesis 6FX ... bought it at a Guitar Center for $99 ... also use a digitech harmonizer and a technivs kn6000 kb ... I think it sounds great and a lot of people have commented positively on the sound ...
t.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online