SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#106940 - 08/22/06 04:24 PM What TV Shows which feature MUSIC do you enjoy Watching Most?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
How much (if at all) do others here watch Network/Cable TV for music concerts & entertainment? The cable networks include MTV, BRAVO & CMT and even a JAZZ channel, Networks occasionally air superstar special concerts, and PBS broadcasts "Austin City Limits" as well as concerts from: Classical and Opera, to Rock, R&B, and Jazz, including documentaries on musician legends like Bob Dylan to Louis Armstrong.

In addition, the sudden surge of music "talent search" shows following "American Idol" in the States and "Pop Idol" in the UK, and of which now includes: "America's Most Talented" and "Rock Star SuperNova (CBS)", to name a few, curious which of the above shows appeals to you the most, as well as what direction you think the world is going in terms of "music appreciation" and "music entertainment". With the advent of video, do people listen to & appreciate the music for 'it's own sake' anymore?

Scott

#106941 - 08/22/06 07:12 PM Re: What TV Shows which feature MUSIC do you enjoy Watching Most?
Dnj Offline

http://www.americanidol.com/
http://rockstar.msn.com/

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 08-22-2006).]

#106942 - 08/22/06 07:16 PM Re: What TV Shows which feature MUSIC do you enjoy Watching Most?
W Tracy Parnell Offline

Loc: NY
Well, being an old country boy I still like the Grand Old Opry, although the number of acts that appeal to me at this point in time is diminishing. Seems like they have a really good show about once a month.

I like Austin City Limits and also like the music shows when PBS has a pledge drive. It's a shame they don't run them throughout the year more often. Really enjoyed Barry Manilow at Vegas!

[This message has been edited by W Tracy Parnell (edited 08-22-2006).]

#106943 - 08/22/06 08:17 PM Re: What TV Shows which feature MUSIC do you enjoy Watching Most?
Scottyee Offline

Ok folks, unfortunately it's not so much about the music anymore, but more about the obsession with making $$$. Here's a revealing article commentary about America's obsession with "American Idol" and other music talent search tv spectacle shows:

Why is 'American Idol' fasinated with Bad Singers , By Gael Fashingbauer Cooper and Andy Dehnart (MSNBC)

I'm starting to believe the music died the day Buddy Holly left us.

Scott

#106944 - 08/23/06 12:08 AM Re: What TV Shows which feature MUSIC do you enjoy Watching Most?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:

Gotta disagree there. There has been a wealth of great music since Buddy passed away. There has always been and will always be commercial interests trying to control popular music, but despite that truly great music always finds a way to surface.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 08-23-2006).]

#106945 - 08/23/06 02:31 AM Re: What TV Shows which feature MUSIC do you enjoy Watching Most?
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Wow, where has music gone could be the start of one interesting topic/post.

I feel that Nigel is correct in his statement but in a very small way.

Where has dignity gone?
Where has ethical gone?
Where has integrity gone?

At my granddaughters wedding after listening to drums and bass most of the night my question was; Where has the music gone?

Talking about gone I better get-out-a-here.

John C.

#106946 - 08/23/06 03:17 AM Re: What TV Shows which feature MUSIC do you enjoy Watching Most?
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After 3 February 1959, there were The Beatles, Simon & Garfunkel, Santana, The Rolling Stones, .....................and many more.

------------------
Khoi huk ngam sud tee huk kon diow.

#106947 - 08/23/06 04:09 AM Re: What TV Shows which feature MUSIC do you enjoy Watching Most?
spalding4 Offline

Loc: england
i watch the performance channel in the UK becasue every now and again there are decent musicians aired. I watch "American Pop idol" or the "X Factor" factor purely for entertainment as thats what those programmes are for and the music content consists of less than 10% of these prgrams and of the 10 % that is music content 90% of the 10% is mediocre at best !

"when did music die" . Of course good music will never die but I believe that the advent of the TV and video have gone a long way to critically injuring good music. Ask yourself the question "do you listen to music or watch it ? ". You see its impossible to watch music. You can omly listen to it. But you can both watch and listen to a performance and most of what is paraded on TV today dressed up as music is in fact for the most part performance. ASk yourself the question when was the last time you saw a live band actually playing their instruments , singers actually singing without vocal backing tracks ?

The performance has become paramount and not the music which is why so long as you look the part, can dance a bit,have some charisma about you etc you can can make mega bucks by lipsyncing in huge stadiums whilst the real singers do backing vocals.

The great musicians and i am talking about masters of their instruments are booked to play in studios and lay tracks for the performers. I could give you lists of great gospel artists and musicians that have had to make a living featuring in much of the contempory music people my age and youinger listen to but whom most people would never have even heard of . Why ??? because what the market is purchasing an image, a performance.

Sorry went off on one Scott!!! Having a bad day today . Eexcuse my incoherent rantings ...

#106948 - 08/23/06 04:44 AM Re: What TV Shows which feature MUSIC do you enjoy Watching Most?
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Nigel:
Gotta disagree there. There has been a wealth of great music since Buddy passed away. There has always been and will always be commercial interests trying to control popular music.

Nigel & Taike, perhaps I forgot to insert an emoticon to signify satirical jest, but I just couldn't decide which one most appropriate. I OF course agree with you guys that there's been a WEALTH of great music (including 90's - present) produced since the days of Buddy Holly.

I just felt the quote from Don McClean's song "American Pie" fitting to describe the commercialization of musical entertainment that's slowly taken over since that time, and more so in recent years, as evidenced by current Pop IDOL type TV shows where the general public (most with no music education or experience whatsoever) deemed qualified(?) as judges to the music talent of contestants, and where wardrobe, personality appeal, and stage antics & often take center stage over the musical content itself. I realize that being musicians, most of us here enjoy 'actively listening' to music, but studies have shown people under 30 have require visuals (video) as well. Of course there are exceptions, but as evidenced by MTV & music videos, the music itself seems to have taken a backseat to the visuals, so if you turn off the video, there's not much left to appreciate. I realize that there still remains some good live music venues out there where people actually come to actively LISTEN to & APPRECIATE live music, but I fear that unless parents & schools bring music education (including music appreciation) back to the schools, appreciation of this will be soon be lost as well. I willing to bet that many (most?) teenagers these days couldn't recognize the music of Bach, Beethoveen, Mozart, Gershwin, Porter, or even the Beatles. I feel America needs to Bring back the ARTS to public education. - Scott

#106949 - 08/23/06 05:52 AM Re: What TV Shows which feature MUSIC do you enjoy Watching Most?
T42 Offline

Loc: UK
I watch the X factor, but after having a good laugh at the beginning of the shows where all the bad people who think they can sing get slaughtered by Simon, it gets more boring when they fiter them all out. It's nice to see you've picked the winner though.
I used to watch CMTV (country music) but it's not on Sky digital. MTV, VH1 a few others depends if nothing else is on worth watching for me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online