SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#122424 - 08/20/06 10:04 AM Supply & Demand
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Several threads have centered around player ability, "cheating", the varied uses of midi files, MP3, musician vs. entertainers, etc. Since this is an arranger forum, I am going to assume the majority of participants are arranger players as opposed to concert pianists. As such, my opinion is none of us should feel infrerior about using technology to get the job done.

Like many here, I played in a variety of larger groups, including 40's style big bands. The bulk of my career in bands was spent in 60-70's rock 'n roll and country groups. It was a trip, but a bit cumbersome because of scheduling rehearsals, egos, lover spats between various players and girl singers in different groups...most of you know the drill.

Today, I really enjoy playing an arranger and sounding like a larger group or band. But, it does cause some confusion among a minority of some within my audiences...largely because of how realistic sounding arrangers are and the presence of a laptop computer which sits off to the side of my keyboard replacing my lyric books.

As a OMB, who sometimes works with a girl singer, my bread and butter is performing at dinner-dances catering to active seniors primarily beteen the ages of 50 & 80 who come to socialize and dance. The people I play for are not hung up in one genre of music. However, I have been told by any number of them, that they don't care for DJ's or karaoke. Personally, I feel that is changing slowly and that DJs are infiltrating the ranks at a few of the places I play regularly.

In the course of a night I will perform popular (and sometimes a few of my favorite and relatively obscure) songs from the 40's through the 90's. The dance floors stays active through ballroom, disco, rock 'n roll, country, blues, latin and line dance numbers.

The exception to my standard programming is if the venue is obviously oriented toward a particular genre like country, ballroom, etc.

No one, to my knowledge, has ever sat in "appreciative awe" of my keyboard ability. They dance. They applaud. They take my business cards. And, I get calls to play from some of the businesss-card-takers.

At least 90% of everything played is played live using arranger styles. Some midi files, IMO, are just too good not to use and I will play on top of them. To me, that is not faking, but augmenting. During breaks I will use MP3s of familiar recordings (instrumental and vocals) which they also dance to. No faking here either. I will leave the KB and use the time to schmooze. At venues where it is appropriate, the music never stops.

Which brings me to the "Supply & Demand" subject of this post. I, for one, cannot play everything live that is requested of me. We all have a performing style and certain tunes or types of songs we excel at. Since my crowd is a dancing bunch, if I can't do a request or feel I can't do it well, they will get to dance to the original via MP3, while I take a mini-break.

I have seen several of you perform, either live or on video. I have heard even more of you on posted MP3s. Each of you has your own way of doing what you do. I appreciate and admire all that you put into your performances and refuse to sit in judgment as to a universal way we should all work.

Whoops....did I say "work"? I meant "play". I'd rather play than work.

Eddie

#122425 - 08/20/06 10:58 AM Re: Supply & Demand
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Amen! Make music, have fun! The technology is there for us to use - so use it!

A musician is someone who 'plays' a musical instrument. But if there are other 'aids' to help enhance our performance then I am all for it.

My one goal though is to become more and more proficient at playing the keyboard i.e. 'improving my chops'. All the other frills and fluff are just an extension of that one goal.

Best regards,
Mike

#122426 - 08/20/06 02:17 PM Re: Supply & Demand
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Double DITTO!

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#122427 - 08/20/06 05:58 PM Re: Supply & Demand
renig Offline

Loc: Canada
That's right on, Eddie. You sum it all up very nicely.

#122428 - 08/21/06 12:13 PM Re: Supply & Demand
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Well said, Mike...especially the part about the focus on improving keyboard chops!

Good grounded attitude...

Regards,

Russ

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online