SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#139413 - 08/12/06 06:26 AM Accordion Jazz
JimP Offline

Loc: Richfield, Ohio USA
Since another thread was started regarding creating a jazz forum, I thought those interested in jazz would enjoy listening to a few recordings by Leon Sash.
Many people considered him the finest jazz accordionist to ever play the instrument. He was totally blind since age 12. Here are links to two of his songs.
http://cpajimp.tripod.com/leonsash1.mp3
http://cpajimp.tripod.com/leonsash2.mp3

#139414 - 08/12/06 06:35 AM Re: Accordion Jazz
Dnj Offline

#139415 - 08/12/06 10:01 AM Re: Accordion Jazz
MrEd Offline

Jim,
Those 2 selections, “Aren’t you glad you’re you” and “Misty” are fine samples of jazz accordion from Leon, a mighty fine master.
I have his "I Remember Newport" album which contains those tunes.
Leon's wife Lee Morgan-Sash is playing the bass on those.

I live in Chicago and Leon lived in a suburb just north of me. One day I gave Leon a call on the phone with hopes that he would take me in as a student. He drilled me with questions to find out where my head was at (how serious I really was) and at what level of playing capability I was at.
He agreed and gave a time slot or 2 of when he would be available. I told him I would talk it over with my wife, determine the best time to schedule and get back to him.
I called him back a few days later only to get the saddest news that Leon had just passed away.

Another accordio jazz great, local to me is Don Komar who is mentioned in the link that Donny contributed above.
I studied for a short time with Don and I can tell you that the reference to Don, “Chops from hell”, is an understatement.
Currently in his 70’s, Don is swinging more with the jazz organ (B3 style) with the pedals going, although he has done some recent jazz accordion performances at local accordion clubs in the Chicago area along with his wife Anita, a very fine piano/vocalist.

If you like accordion jazz, there are other greats like Art Van Damme, Frank Marocco .
Some jazz guys that do arranger/midi accordion styles are Mike Alongi, John Simkus, Eddie Monteiro to name a few.

Jim, thanks for sharing.

#139416 - 08/12/06 11:39 AM Re: Accordion Jazz
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Art Van Damme....DA MAN!

Russ

#139417 - 08/12/06 01:35 PM Re: Accordion Jazz
Rolman Offline

Loc: Germany
Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
Art Van Damme....DA MAN!
Russ

..... and the Singers Unlimited, an incredible recording. Jim, thanks for sharing. I love that kind of music.
Peter

#139418 - 08/12/06 01:46 PM Re: Accordion Jazz
drdalet Offline

Loc: Amersfoort, Netherlands
In my country Jazz accordeon is as remote as a PSR keyboard in the desert. So I am alway surprised with these threads. I know Art van Damme and Mat Matthews (van Damme has a Dutch or Flamish name and Mat Matthews real name is Matthieu Schwarz - probably fled Europe )but Leon Sash I didn't know.... I am glad I do now. Thanks for these fine soundfiles.
I actually like to use the "small accordeon" sound on my PSR3000 in Jazz pieces (in honor of where I came from).

#139419 - 08/12/06 04:16 PM Re: Accordion Jazz
MrEd Offline

Capt Russ: "Art Van Damme....DA MAN"
Yes sir, was voted the top accordionist 10 consecutive years in Downbeat mag and several times in Keyboard mag. In the day, he had a regular radio show slot here in Chicago with NBC.

drdalet:
I too like the little accordion on the 3000.

Leon Sash had a unique accordion. It was a piano-key accordion with 2 additional rows of keys layered, like 3 steps. It was setup like a chromatic accordion but all keys instead of buttons on the right-hand side.

If anyone is intereseted, there are some 2-minute song samples of a local guy, Mike Alongi . He played for us a couple of months back at the Chicago Accordion Club.

If those midi-arranger accordions weren't so dang expensive, I would have one.

[This message has been edited by MrEd (edited 08-12-2006).]

#139420 - 08/12/06 04:31 PM Re: Accordion Jazz
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Very enjoyable listening Mr Ed. What a great player Mike Alongi is. The accordian just sounds wonderful. And I especially enjoyed the performance of After You've Gone. I love that song.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 08-12-2006).]

#139421 - 08/13/06 03:16 AM Re: Accordion Jazz
drdalet Offline

Loc: Amersfoort, Netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by MrEd:
Leon Sash had a unique accordion. It was a piano-key accordion with 2 additional rows of keys layered, like 3 steps. It was setup like a chromatic accordion but all keys instead of buttons on the right-hand side.

Interesting. I play pianokeys too and later regretted that because buttonaccordions made things possible that are hardly possible with pianokeys. I could very well hear the difference in playing because we had two great accordionplayers in my country, Harry Mooten, who played on pianokeys, and Johnny Meyer, who played buttonaccordion. I was jealous of what Johnny Meyer could do. Besides it is very easy to change keys on a buttonaccordion.
It seems Leon Sash had a workaround for that problem. Great to hear this.

#139422 - 08/13/06 03:56 AM Re: Accordion Jazz
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Looks like he is using a Janko keyboard.
http://www.red-bean.com/~noel/uniform-keyboard/

------------------
Remember to leave good news alone.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online