SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#139898 - 06/21/06 03:18 PM My Audio Demo of Acoustic Guitar Fret Noise.
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Hey folks! Here is an "audio" clip of me demostrating "fret noise" on a "real acoustic" guitar. It's converted to MP3 so the sound quality isn't the greatest

I used my fostex MR-8 and the built in condensor mic--done in one shot (there might be light clipping). I used the yousendit.com website, but if anyone here who has their own web space would like to post it there temporarily for all to hear (because I know some have problems with YouSendIt.com) please feel free to do so.

I hope this better explains the opinions coming from a guitar player when listening to the SA guitar voices on the Tyros. I will tell you that in several video demos, the fret noise was actually "incorrect", and should "not" have been present when the person was playing.

As a quick note, in the end I varied my fret noise as well to demostrate how it can be reduced and how it will "naturally" vary between chord changes.

Enjoy.
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=ADEFFAA70B6C2DDC

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 06-21-2006).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#139899 - 06/21/06 03:57 PM Re: My Audio Demo of Acoustic Guitar Fret Noise.
squeak_D Offline

If this demo's downloads exceed the number of times allowed by the site, just let me know. I still have both the WAV. file, and MP3 on my desktop.

Squeak

GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#139900 - 06/21/06 04:07 PM Re: My Audio Demo of Acoustic Guitar Fret Noise.
Dnj Offline

Squeak, Thanks for taking the time to make this demo & explain in a very well demonstrated & very well explained in real time the differences between the real thing & the T2 SA Guitar sounds, I really learned something today!!

#139901 - 06/21/06 04:08 PM Re: My Audio Demo of Acoustic Guitar Fret Noise.
SBPC Offline

Loc: Goleta, CA, USA
Thanks for that very well done audio demonstration! It’s good to get the “straight skinny” from someone who knows the real instrument. If you’re not a teacher, you certainly could be one, judging by the way you presented your subject.

I personally find the fret noise of the Yamaha SA guitars to be a bit annoying. But I’m sure not everyone feels that way. Luckily we have a choice among quite a number of decent guitar voices, although I believe Yamaha does tend to use SA voices in many of their styles.
Paul C.

#139902 - 06/21/06 04:29 PM Re: My Audio Demo of Acoustic Guitar Fret Noise.
squeak_D Offline

Thanks for the kind words! I'm glad you guys liked it. Although the clarity wasn't the greatest (I could have recorded the guitar part by plugging my acoustic directly into the Fostex, but it was easier to just use the condensor mic and record it all as a whole).

Glad I was able to help shed some light on the issue.

Squeak

#139903 - 06/21/06 07:31 PM Re: My Audio Demo of Acoustic Guitar Fret Noise.
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi squeak

Thanx for the demo. It really sounded professional.

As far as bar chords, don't some people actually wrap their thumb around and use it on the bottom string? I'm trying to remember back to my rock band days and it sure seems to me that our guitar player did it.

Also, although what you are talking about is probably commonly called fret noise, isn't it really string noise, caused by the fingers sliding over the strings. It seems to me if it was fret noise, that it would be heard as you slide, but it would be more like, click, click, click, (for lack of a better term)? To me, that would be the sound of the fret causing the sound. May be splitting fine hairs here, but thought I'd get your opinion on it.

Scott

#139904 - 06/21/06 08:07 PM Re: My Audio Demo of Acoustic Guitar Fret Noise.
squeak_D Offline

Yes sometime people wrap their thumbs over the top of the neck to be able to get that 5th finger on the fret However these are more, non-traditional chords, and I've personally seen them used a lot in rock and metal.

That sounds has been called "fret noise" as long as I can remember.... Maybe the term "technically" isn't correct, but it's the going term for describing the sliding noise achieved from the friction of one's fingers going over the wound and unwound steel strings.

A more "realistic" noise caused by frets would be "buzzing". Meaning the guitars neck may not be completely straight, a fret could be pulling up and so on. Actually the Ovation I used in this demo suffers from "fret buzzing". That's of course my fault. The last time I put strings on it I removed (2) risers from underneath the saddle to lower the action. It really didn't need it though The stock action is already close to an electric I guess I had too much time on my hands. Now I have to put at least (one) riser back to get rid of the fret buzz.

Squeak

#139905 - 06/22/06 02:54 AM Re: My Audio Demo of Acoustic Guitar Fret Noise.
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Hi Squeak,

Great demo.

Ian

#139906 - 06/22/06 03:01 AM Re: My Audio Demo of Acoustic Guitar Fret Noise.
zuki Offline

Squeak,
You made that tiny little inexpensive MR8 sound like a full blown studio
zukii

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online