SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#194353 - 05/31/06 02:36 PM newbie needs help
talisker Offline

Loc: uk
hi all
i've been think of buying a keyboard for ages now and i'm finally going to take the plunge, i'm a totall beginner and i'm starting from scratch and i was hoping to get a few recomendations for a keyboard, i'm mainly interested in learning piano but i don't have the space for one so it will have to be a keyboard or digital piano.
i've got a limited budget, the ones that i've seen in my price range are a casio wk-3200 or i could stretch to a casio wk-3700, i've also got the chance of a secondhand yamaha dx 500 for about the same price as the wk-3200 would cost me new, also any recomendations on a good book or cd on learning to play.

many thanks

#194354 - 05/31/06 11:24 PM Re: newbie needs help
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
The problem with getting a keyboard for the first time is that we tend to make a cheap choice thinking it will be acceptable. If you do this you will quickly want to change to a better model which with part ex-change is going to cost you more than buying a better keyboard in the first place.
If cost is limited keyboard wise the Korg PA50 is their low priced keyboard and is excellent value at £699 UK. Costing much more but the best value in the Yamaha range is PSR3000.
If it's Piano style you decide on look at the Yamaha DGX models.
All these can be obtained used models at reduced prices.

#194355 - 05/31/06 11:45 PM Re: newbie needs help
eddiefromrotherham Offline

Loc: Rotherham,England.
I totally agree with Graham.
From my own long experience (40 years ), your best bet is to visit as many local dealers as possible, tell them how much you want to spend, and say you want to buy a used board with a guarantee. You will get the opportunity to own an uptodate board with uptodate systems.
Good Luck
Eddie

------------------
Eddie from Rotherham
www.yamahakeyboards.info

#194356 - 06/01/06 12:32 AM Re: newbie needs help
Magica Alfa Offline

HI ALL

I AGREE WITH ALL

On start small keyboard. Small price but then every time better.

Good piano? You will be not satisfied

For you are keyboard with mp3 player inside.
If you want to spend more money is for you Korg PA1X if you are good with new technologies is for you LIONSTRACS MS x76

But any way every time for start is better to tries with something simple and to have a good teacher.

#194357 - 06/01/06 10:28 AM Re: newbie needs help
talisker Offline

Loc: uk
at the moment all i can stetch to is around £300 max, i realise that after a while i will probably need to upgrade, i could go for the second hand yamaha dgx 500 but as it's from a private seller there would be no guarantee, i've looked at the dgx range online and the best i could afford would be the dgx 220, would you say that would be a better buy than say the casio wk-3700

[This message has been edited by talisker (edited 06-01-2006).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online