SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#169618 - 03/26/06 09:32 AM If I cold only gig with this baby?...........
Dnj Offline

http://www.openlabs.com/miko_p1.htm
http://www.openlabs.com/miko_p2.htm

Not likely but the small package intrigues me for travel....

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 03-26-2006).]

#169619 - 03/26/06 10:04 AM Re: If I cold only gig with this baby?...........
Esh Offline

Loc: Hilton Head, SC, USA
Several people over in the Harmony Central forums have the Miko on order and expect them soon. It made a big impression at NAMM with it's relative low price but early reports say that since it's basically a Windows-based computer that latency is still an issue.

#169620 - 03/26/06 10:11 AM Re: If I cold only gig with this baby?...........
Dnj Offline

Jim......thanx for the info.....
nothings ever perfect eh?
its kool looking .....at least they are making strides to the future.

#169621 - 03/26/06 02:07 PM Re: If I cold only gig with this baby?...........
acoustictones Offline

Loc: Lakeville, MN
Well, I know that I'm one of those people that have one on order, and I couldn't be MORE excited.

The whole Windows fear thing simply does NOT effect me in the least. I have been running ALL of my studio and recording equipment on Windows XP for years, and I have had NO real problems to speak of.

90% of having a good stable system on Windows is in knowing how to properly set things up (which admitedly is not everyones specialty...some are better off to buy a G70 or Tyros 2, turn it on, and play...more power to them, and I see no need for them to change anytime soon, since those board are simply fantasitic...BUT for those of use that run our entire systems on laptops, and are comfortable in that environment, the Miko is simply a god send).

So I can honestly say that the release of the Miko is the most exciting release I have heard of in years. I'm hoping to see mine within the next 15 to 30 days, and I will report back later with my opinions.

I think a big problem for a lot of people in the arranger market is really the software. So many in this market are really tide to how they use their arrangers, and it CAN deffinately behard for some to find any comparable software that like working with any more than they do with their current boards.

Personally, I really don't use most of the features that an arranger provides, and so much of what I do is either recorded via Sonar, and I play over that live, or I simply just play live with other musicians.

So again, the Miko is NOT going to be the answer for everybody, but I really couldn't be more excited.

------------------
DJ
AcousticTones Recording Studios

#169622 - 03/26/06 05:57 PM Re: If I cold only gig with this baby?...........
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Esh, I understand your concern with regard to latency and Windows XP. I have been able to run my Windows XP based system at 2.9ms which is far faster than hardware based systems. The best that hardware based system can achieve is around 10ms .... which is good enough for live performances. In addition, reliability is also not an issue on my system. It is tweaked for music and used only for music.

#169623 - 03/26/06 06:15 PM Re: If I cold only gig with this baby?...........
Esh Offline

Loc: Hilton Head, SC, USA
That's great Frank, and I'm anxious for ya DJ. I do a good bit with softsynths and Reason myself and have gotten good low latency with both my studio PC and my laptop. But how well the Miko actually performs is yet to be determined, and I've heard there might be latency issues. If not - great! I may be in the Miko market myself eventually.

[This message has been edited by Esh (edited 03-26-2006).]

#169624 - 03/27/06 07:02 AM Re: If I cold only gig with this baby?...........
acoustictones Offline

Loc: Lakeville, MN
Greatings Esh.

Yeah, as you can tell, I'm pretty excited about my new toy (just waiting for it's arrival).

There are actually a number of them already out there, and in use, but I'm still awaiting mine.

I saw that Princes keyboardist was using both a Neko and Miko in their live performance (he also was using them when they played on SNL), and I saw that someone was also already using one on the Grammys.

I've been talking to OpenLabs quite a bit (both via email and phone, and it sounds like I will be in the FIRST consumers batch of Miko's, but they have already sent out a number of them to their HIGHER END users (which I simply do not qualify as one of their HIGHER END users...for some reason they feel that people like Stevie Wonder and people in Princes band are bigger fish than little ol me...oh well, I can live with that).

So I'm hoping to see mine within the next few weeks, AND totally looking forward to it.

And even thought I simply love the concept of both the Miko and Neko it in no way takes away from some of the other great boards out there. They all have their place, and for now the Miko seems to fit my needs REALLY well. But I'll always be excited to see anything new that comes out. I know that the Miko is going to fill A LOT of my needs, but I'm sure that it won't be the last board and/or computer I ever buy.

------------------
DJ
AcousticTones Recording Studios

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online