SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#186647 - 03/07/06 04:34 AM Song sounded like crap at gig
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Saturday night, I played a song using a Dance style called TechnoPolis on the psr2000. Although bass-heavy with that thumping dance beat, it sounds fine when I play it here through the psr2000 speakers. I think I even played that song a month ago at a gig and it did not create this problem -- the bass was WAY over-powering everything. It sounded like crap.

I was using the Logitech z-2200 system. I had the bass setting equal to (and I think LESS) the usual bass setting I use. I don't dial in much Logitech bass with the way I play. It's at 9 o-clock or less Bass. Any idea? Nothing else changed that I can think of.

I don't think it was the room difference... this was DRAMATIC how bad it sounded. I guess I could have had the sub pointed differently but I don't think it would make THAT much difference.

Hmmm, I just recalled, I stopped the song and reached down to the floor and turned the Bass down even more and it still didn't help. Odd.

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#186648 - 03/07/06 04:49 AM Re: Song sounded like crap at gig
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Bill,

Every venue has its own accustic pecularity, particularly when using a sub. For example, there is a significant difference in sounds transmitted from the sub when playing in rooms with concrete floors, V/S wooden floor, carpeted floors, tile floors, playing on a stage that's a few inches off the floor, playing from a stage that's 4 feet higher than the floor, etc. Additionally, the position of the sub in relation to the wall, the direction it's facing, and the volume ratio of sub to satellite speakers all have a huge bearing on the overall performance of the system.

A general rule of thumb for the volume ratio is the sub should be approximately 25 to 40 percent of the satellite volume. Most of the time, again this is subjective, sub volumes higher than 30 percent are excessive.

Additionally, the gobal EQ of your keyboard is another important factor and as a significant bearing on the overall sound. This too will vary with different sound systems and venue configuration. The best advice I have is to record a midi file using the PSR-2000, something that would use the styles and voices that you would normally use for a particular job, put the midi file in the keyboard and walk around the room listening to the system. What you heard on stage may not be the same that folks sitting at the bar or far tables may hear. Then you can make the needed adjustments and determine if this is the sound you wish to hear.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#186649 - 03/07/06 05:14 AM Re: Song sounded like crap at gig
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
I've never had this particular problem but what you said makes sense. Because it was quite a bad surprise.

And thanks for Registration help. Now, if I can just remember what I did and repeat it this morning, all is well!

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online