to the genesys Offline

I was just wondering if there were
Any new products from Gem General Music
Any new controller keyboards
Any new modules.

#108805 - 01/23/06 07:22 PM Re: Some questions about products at NAMM
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
The GK series is the last new keyboards that I am aware of....

#108806 - 01/23/06 07:36 PM Re: Some questions about products at NAMM
Esh Offline

Loc: Hilton Head, SC, USA

The pRP-700/800 portable digital pianos were supposed to be making their US debut at NAMM.

#108807 - 01/23/06 07:52 PM Re: Some questions about products at NAMM
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
I didn't go to the Generalmusic booth. I am no longer representing Generalmusic at my store and was only at NAMM 1 day because of my recent back surgery so I didn't bother looking at what they have to offer
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#108808 - 01/23/06 08:37 PM Re: Some questions about products at NAMM
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Dave McMahan showed me the above PRP-700/800 digital piano, and my immediate impression was that it looks to be the most elegant contemporary looking portable digital piano I've ever seen. Great key feel. The piano sounded really good, but it admittedly paled once I heard Dave demonstrate the Pro-Mega 3 with it's jaw dropping realistic piano sound. The Pro Mega is admittedly a LOT LOT more expensive as well, so I guess that's not a fair comparison. On the Pro Mega, I could actually hear the damper pedal leaving the strings, as well as gauge the distance from they were at a given point as well. It was pleasure to meet Dave in person as well. A real NICE guy, and eager to take the time to show me everything in GEM's keyboard lineup. Here's a picture I took of Dave at NAMM:

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 01-23-2006).]

#108809 - 01/24/06 03:39 AM Re: Some questions about products at NAMM
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Scott, the picture of Dave is not appearing for me. Can you please check it?

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#108810 - 01/24/06 04:58 AM Re: Some questions about products at NAMM
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
sorry for the disappearing picture..
just out of habit ... d.copperfield

#108811 - 01/24/06 05:27 AM Re: Some questions about products at NAMM
Esh Offline

Loc: Hilton Head, SC, USA
Once again Scott, thanks for the report.

If I can press you for more detail: I understand that the piano sounds in the PRP 700/800 are essentially the same as in the ProMega series - to be accurate, the piano is modeled using DRAKE processors and the ProMega series has three DRAKE's whereas the PRP's have only one. Can you say how much difference was there between the two as far as tonality and piano realism? Were there any problems with any of the sounds you heard? I have been considering the PRP-800 and I'm very interested in any further impressions you can share.

#108812 - 01/24/06 06:48 AM Re: Some questions about products at NAMM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
Dave McMahan showed me the above PRP-700/800 digital piano, and my immediate impression was that it looks to be the most elegant contemporary looking portable digital piano I've ever seen. Great key feel. The piano sounded really good, but it admittedly paled once I heard Dave demonstrate the Pro-Mega 3 with it's jaw dropping realistic piano sound. The Pro Mega is admittedly a LOT LOT more expensive as well, so I guess that's not a fair comparison. On the Pro Mega, I could actually hear the damper pedal leaving the strings, as well as gauge the distance from they were at a given point as well. It was pleasure to meet Dave in person as well. A real NICE guy, and eager to take the time to show me everything in GEM's keyboard lineup. Here's a picture I took of Dave at NAMM:

Scott

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the kind words!

Actually I probably should have taken you back over to the pRP800 using the same headphones that we used on the Promega. The Steinway and Fazioli acoustic pianos are the very same as on the Promega as are the EP sounds.

Of course there is more control over the sound in the Promega due to the 8 band EQ and programmable reverb and effects. But remember that when I showed you the Promega, I made a point in letting you know that I bypassed all effects and EQ so you were hearing the raw sound with no processing of any kind. What you heard could have just as easily been coming from the pRP800.

Anyway, it was great to meet you in person.

Best Regards,

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
Nat'l Product and Support Manager
Generalmusic USA
GEM Community Forums

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online