SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#103129 - 01/07/06 07:11 AM A bass player as duo partner
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Any tips for this? Would you simply mute the bass channel in the style and that's it?

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#103130 - 01/07/06 07:37 AM Re: A bass player as duo partner
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Yup.
Or...you could mute the bass player.

Eddie

#103131 - 01/07/06 07:57 AM Re: A bass player as duo partner
loungelyzard Offline

Loc: North Eastern Calif.
I think a bass player is the easiest. (drummer the hardest) I have played keys with 3 or 4 different ones, the only problem is getting one who can follow the time of the keyboard, and not keep turning the beat upside down. My Daughter is the only one that stays in time, (but I trained her since age 7). Also throws you off a bit to hear a different bass line than the style bass line.

Can work great if you get a good one and spend a little time in rehearsal.

(plus'es)

Adds another vocal to your act, someone to enteract with, and gives a more uncanned feeling to your music.

(neg's)

Share the bucks, Doing a solo when no show, and your all set up for two, drinks too much, chases the female customers, etc. etc. etc. etc.................

Pose

#103132 - 01/08/06 07:40 AM Re: A bass player as duo partner
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
One of the guitarists I play with is also quite the proficient bass player, so we do a couple of numbers with him on bass.

Though I do like playing some bass on the keys ( I often turn the style bass off, and it works even better wit a good guitarist along for the ride ), it is nice to have someone else who can play it and expand on what the rest of the style is doing. It frees me up to solo more and play nice combis with both hands.

Pose hit the plusses and negatives well, particularly on the suggestion that the music will sound less canned. What I do miss about not having a Yamaha arranger is that the PA80's pad buttons aren't assignable with phrases and sounds in the way the Yamaha's are. Good pads add even more possibilities to spice up the rythyms.

I wouldn't put up with any of those potential negatives for very long, but I'm blessed that none of the guys I play with seem to display any of them.

AJ

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online