SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#132968 - 12/02/05 08:25 AM Is there a "correct" way to use the pitch wheel?
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Hi all,

my keyboard has a pitch wheel which I find useful in playing a variety of tones, but I have a question:

Is there a "proper" or "correct" way to use it?

For years now I'm used to use it with my left thumb. I place my fingers on the side of the keyboard and I use my thumb to bend.
It works for me, and I can make quick bends (for example in the end of a measure), with seldom missing a chord change.

On the other hand, I have seen videos of performers, using the tips of their index fingers and generally placing their palms parallel to the keys while pitch bending.

I know there is a "correct" way to place your fingers when playing. I haven't mastered it, and it bothers me enormously.

What about the pitch wheel? I also realise that when/if I buy something that has a modulation wheel, I have no second left thumb to operate it!

It would be easier to describe what I am doing using photos, but I can't do that now.

I would like to have your opinion on this.
Theodore

#132969 - 12/02/05 08:43 AM Re: Is there a "correct" way to use the pitch wheel?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I don't believe there is a "correct" way, but I use the fingers. This lets you easily control both wheels.
DonM

#132970 - 12/02/05 08:47 AM Re: Is there a "correct" way to use the pitch wheel?
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
There isn't a "correct" way to use the pitchbend wheel. You use what finger works well for you. For me I use my thumb with my other fingers resting on the side of the keyboard. I've seen some use their pointer fingers, index fingers, ect.

Don uses finger so he can work both for example. However some sounds if you practice you don't need the modulation wheel. I often discourage the use of the modulation wheel when playing guitar sounds. If your keyboard has a good quality pitchbend wheel you'll get much more realisitic vibrato using the pitchbend wheel.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#132971 - 12/02/05 09:52 AM Re: Is there a "correct" way to use the pitch wheel?
renig Offline

Loc: Canada
Yep, there's no 'correct' way, as these guys are saying, it's whatever works for you.

I've never been a fan of 'wheels' per se, that's what I like about the Korg, it's a four-way joystick. I seem to have better control with that. But then again, it's all what you're used to.

#132972 - 12/02/05 12:40 PM Re: Is there a "correct" way to use the pitch wheel?
chony Offline

Loc: New York
It depends on what I'm doing. If I need multiple pitch bends within a phrase (like a guitar riff), I'll do it with my index finger and middle fingers so that I can be close to my chords as possible. If I don't need to change chords that often, I play with my thumb - for far greater control.

I agree with Squeak-D: You get a far better guitar tremelo shaking the pitch bend wheel (like you would a guitar string) than with the modulations wheel. However the modulation wheel is great for adding a chorus sound to electric guitars!

Chony

#132973 - 12/02/05 12:44 PM Re: Is there a "correct" way to use the pitch wheel?
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Let me add: Without trying to bash 3000 owners, The pitch and modulation wheels on the 3000 are hopeless. I found it impossible to do quality bends with them. I find that the Tyros on the other hand gives great control and realism.

#132974 - 12/02/05 01:16 PM Re: Is there a "correct" way to use the pitch wheel?
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Posted by Chony:
-------------------------------------------
Let me add: Without trying to bash 3000 owners, The pitch and modulation wheels on the 3000 are hopeless. I found it impossible to do quality bends with them. I find that the Tyros on the other hand gives great control and realism.
-----------------------------------------

Chony, my friend you are SOOOOOO right about this one. That's why I won't buy the PSR-3000. I too think they are (hopeless). The pitchbend on the PSR-3000 (same as models below it 2100,2000,740) is terrible. You cannot pull off good bending effects with guitar patches on the PSR's. Nice to see the Tyros at least has the better wheels.

Chony, this is a big part of the reason I didn't buy the PSR-3000. I even have the money to buy one now if I want to, but the construction quality and the wheels of the PSR-3000 in my opinion doesn't justify the price tag. If I bought the PSR-3000 I'd have to midi it up to another keyboard for a decent set of keys and wheels. Basically making the 3000 a module However I'm not paying $1,500 for a keyboard that needs to be midi'd to another for decent playability. Also glad to see that someone else here uses the pitchbend wheel the same way I do on guitar sounds

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 12-02-2005).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#132975 - 12/02/05 04:31 PM Re: Is there a "correct" way to use the pitch wheel?
quietDIN Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by trident:
my keyboard has a pitch wheel which I find useful in playing a variety of tones, but I have a question:

Is there a "proper" or "correct" way to use it?

I think this falls into the category of "technique". I agree with what most everyone here has already said, do what works for you. The wheels vary from one manufacturer and model to the next (return spring tension is different, for example), so an approach that feels right with one keyboard might not with another.

Besides, some of the best music often comes from artists who don't do things the "conventional" way.

--Barry

#132976 - 12/05/05 04:38 AM Re: Is there a "correct" way to use the pitch wheel?
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Thank you all for your replies, it sure lifted off a burden!
It seems I am using the wheel the same manner Squeak does.

Without having played any of the "recent" Yamahas, I am curious of what makes their wheels hopeless or cheap.
Can you elaborate?

#132977 - 12/05/05 05:17 AM Re: Is there a "correct" way to use the pitch wheel?
andrewpowell Offline

Loc: UK
One technique used a lot in the old pre-aftertouch days of synths, was to use the middle finger of your left hand to bend the pitch up and the index finger to give the modulation wheel a small lift whilst lowering the pitch wheel back to its detent position. This gave a nice subtle vibrato to the otherwise rather static sounds of old monophonic synths.
In those days I can remember using elbows, nose or any free appendage to get some more controlled variation into the flat sounds. Thanks God for technological advances such as SA, huh?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online