SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#125554 - 11/28/05 05:45 PM Pls help: Midi Files on the Tyros
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Until now, my performances consisted only of styles. I have many custom styles and they all suit my music.

However, now I've just recorded and purchased over 30 full MIDI arrangements, and want to include them in my performances. But to my dismay, it takes a full second or more for each file to load! I can't have 'dead air' in the middle of a performance - I play DJ style over a dancefloor and need everything to blend! I know a lot of you use MIDI files -- how do you get around this?

Second question: I would like to move in and out between styles and MIDI files. I see that I am able to start a style while the MIDI file is playing and it blends quite well. Only problem is that when I stop the MIDI playback, the style stops too! Any way to get around that?

If you can help me here I'd really appreciate it!
Thank you, Chony.

#125555 - 11/28/05 06:53 PM Re: Pls help: Midi Files on the Tyros
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by chony:
...it takes a full second or more for each file to load!

Hey Chony,

Are the midi files you are loading coming off of a floppy or USB stick?

Not owning a Yamaha keyboard, I will 'assume' that one of the ways to pull this off is to create registrations that call on the midi files that you loaded onto the hard-drive (or USB) pre-show. I would think that would provide almost instantaneous response.

I'll be curious to hear the solution to this since I'm considering a Tyros 2.

-mike

#125556 - 11/28/05 07:39 PM Re: Pls help: Midi Files on the Tyros
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Learn little lead intros to your SMF's. You will get use to the timing, and I guess you will be playing over the SMF anyway....

Actually a second or two, is not long...you won't lose any dancers.

You can also introduce the song as it loads..

#125557 - 11/29/05 04:42 AM Re: Pls help: Midi Files on the Tyros
Michael P. Bedesem Offline

Loc: Shrewsbury, VT
You might try Function/Song and setting Quick Load to On

Regards,

Michael

#125558 - 11/29/05 10:57 AM Re: Pls help: Midi Files on the Tyros
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael P. Bedesem:
You might try Function/Song and setting Quick Load to On

Regards,

Michael

Tried that. I also tried loading the songs into registrations (mike's idea), but that doesn't work either...

My problem is that I want to be able to have the freedom to fly between songs and arrangements without stopping. Some people here obviously feel that a one-two second break is non-consequential, but in my style of playing it most certainly is...

Chony

#125559 - 11/29/05 11:10 AM Re: Pls help: Midi Files on the Tyros
Dnj Offline

For that kind of performance consider a Ketron Midjay....you can play Styles, SMF, MP3, WAv, Sfx, voc, seperate or all at the same time controlled seperatly by sliders its works great ......food for though.

Or even running the SMF off a laptop will do it.....your problem is that the same unit is running both elements....
seperate them = control.

goood luck

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 11-29-2005).]

#125560 - 11/29/05 12:35 PM Re: Pls help: Midi Files on the Tyros
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
Whilst there is always a slight "setup" gap between songs (because life is like that) your gap sounds a little high. My 3k is usually under a second (and that sometimes seems too long!)

You might want to have a very close look at the midi files using a PC sequencer.

Your gap might be any or all of the following:

Lots of SysEx at the start of the file

SysEx "reset" dumps AT THE END after the last notes

Extra-long notes at the end of the Midi File (sometimes even in the drum track!)

Midi tempo change events after the end

What you need to do is ensure that everything finishes as soon as possible after the last significant note. If there's sys ex "reset" stuff, it doesn't usually matter so long as all your midi files START with "XG System Reset" or similar.

With regard to SysEx at the start of the midi file, again always start with XG System Resetm, and then you don't need all the "Reset Controller" "Wheel 0" messages that some midi files seem cluttered with.

Have fun!

#125561 - 11/29/05 12:46 PM Re: Pls help: Midi Files on the Tyros
zalmi Offline

Loc: London, UK
Why don't you try using an mp3 player into the Tyros (or mixer) instead. If you really need to play the midis - record them to mp3 and play them back 30 is not a lot to transfer. (If you don't need track mutes, tempo changes etc).
All the best,

Zalmi

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online