SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#181128 - 11/27/05 05:59 PM HELP Needed....PC Gerus I cant get an online connection.....??.
Dnj Offline

on my daughters pc [winxp] in her room.....somhow she screwed up the connection [cable modem] and now cant get online.....on the connection icon on the bottom of the tool bar there is a conflict ICON [yellow explaination mark local area connection] if I right click and try to repair the connection an error message tells me that it cant find the IP Addresss to establish a connection???
can anyone me try to help me fix this thing ......and establish a online connection again?

my LT in my room is fine [wireless modem]

thanx in advance

#181129 - 11/27/05 07:07 PM Re: HELP Needed....PC Gerus I cant get an online connection.....??.
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Donny, go into control panel...select network connections....select local area connections...click on properties....click on internet protocol[TCP/IP]....

set IP addresses
subnet
gateway

DNS..server addresses..

Click OK..

#181130 - 11/27/05 07:38 PM Re: HELP Needed....PC Gerus I cant get an online connection.....??.
Dnj Offline

Thanx Fran I'll try it

#181131 - 11/27/05 07:59 PM Re: HELP Needed....PC Gerus I cant get an online connection.....??.
claudiu Offline

Loc: Sterling Heights, Michigan USA
Fran you're a whole museum my man...

Respects,

Me

#181132 - 11/28/05 04:39 AM Re: HELP Needed....PC Gerus I cant get an online connection.....??.
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
You might want to check with your cable company as some broadband companies use DHCP which means they assign IP addresses dynamically. So in you IP address settings, you should click on , "Obtain IP address automatically". There is usually no SUB mask unless you are bridging connections on your network.

One of the things you can try is to get to a command prompt by clicking START / RUN / CMD, then typing "IPCONFIG" on her computer to see if the IP address IS getting assigned automatically. You can do a IPCONFIG /RENEW to get a new IP address assigned to her.

Also, a simple fix is always to power OFF the Cable Modem, wait 60 seconds, and power it back on. Sometimes these things get a power surge and get stupid. They need to be reset now and again.

Hope this helps....

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#181133 - 11/28/05 05:14 AM Re: HELP Needed....PC Gerus I cant get an online connection.....??.
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Power down everything then restart in this order: The modem, the router, your pc.

Tom

Tom

#181134 - 11/28/05 05:27 AM Re: HELP Needed....PC Gerus I cant get an online connection.....??.
Dnj Offline

Thanx I will try all suggestions asap & hope for the best........I spent a half hour with PC geru & SZ member Mike Sutliff last night by phone with no luck....unless we missed somthing I'll probly have to to it in for service Argggg!

#181135 - 11/28/05 05:35 AM Re: HELP Needed....PC Gerus I cant get an online connection.....??.
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
DNJ. Once you get it sorted. invest in a small program named Symantec Norton Ghost Image. This saves an Image of your complete system and if you get future such problems you just reload the image back in and your PC will be back to the day you saved the Image within 10 minutes. I have used it for years.
The Windows Restore is a waste of time in most cases.

[This message has been edited by Graham UK (edited 11-28-2005).]

#181136 - 11/28/05 05:55 AM Re: HELP Needed....PC Gerus I cant get an online connection.....??.
Dnj Offline

Sounds like a great program.......

when I try to rt click repair on network connections.....
it says cannot Renew your IP Address

#181137 - 11/28/05 06:54 AM Re: HELP Needed....PC Gerus I cant get an online connection.....??.
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Windows Restore and Norton Ghost are two different systems.
Ghost restores you computer back to the time the image was made, and wipes everything that was done after this date, were as System Restore leaves all files intact, and basically just undoes registry and program changes. (Simplified explanation)
Unless your ISP says you need to set IP Addresses, leave to automatically assign. (Networking protocols are not something you should get involved with unless you are familiar with them)
Follow Toms advice and you should be back up and running in next to no time.
The Exclamation mark is probably indicating limited connectivity, and is why you cannot renew the IP Address
Point to note, if you have changed any settings, set them back to what they were, before restarting everything.
Hope this helps.

Bill

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online