SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#140745 - 09/22/05 01:06 PM Scott Langholff: How is the Ketron Midjay working out for You?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Scott Langholff, as a fellow Yamaha Tyros owner & enthusiast, and realizing you purchased a Ketron Midjay a few weeks ago now, curious how it's been working out for you on gigs. I remembered you purchased the Midjay + keyboard controller specifically for lighter kb transport, yet because the Midjay relies on 'duo functions' for its button, that you had concerns about this, as well as button access inconvenience, with the Midjay sitting to the side or behind (away) from the keyboard controller's sitting position.

ScottL, I'm really anxious to get your candid report on how the Midjay is working out for you for live keyboard playing performances. I'm interested in getting feedback about this from other people here (like Don Mason) who own or who have auditioned the Midjay as well.

OK Scott L: Curious which (if any) of your keyboards (Yamaha PSR3000, Yamaha Tyros, Ketron Midjay), you decided to keep/sell?

ScottY

#140746 - 09/24/05 11:17 AM Re: Scott Langholff: How is the Ketron Midjay working out for You?
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi Scott

As I mentioned on the review I did with the Midjay I like it. It sounds very good. It has a live band sound. The drums are exceptional along with some very realistic voices that are as good as or better than anything else I have heard.

I didn't get a midi keyboard controller, yet. However, I've been talking to Jaime Reyes who uses the Midjay with the M-Audio Evolution MK-461C controller keyboard. Withouth any progamming or need of midi knowledge, the MK-461C automatically calls up voices from the Midjay. There are 10 buttons numbered 0-9. He is using only 10 voices which probably would suit most people. Although he doesn't use it this way, I would think that it could play as many voices as you want.

This would really be the way to go. This way you can set the Midjay right in front of the keyboard, and since the kb is only 8-3/8” deep, the Midjay controls are in the same spot as you'd find on an arranger kb.

The print in the screen is easy enough to see. I would used the style variation buttons directly on the Midjay and use the bottons on the controller keyboard to change voices. There would be no issue then about some of the buttons duo function.

So, you could easily then have the 7 pound Midjay and the 7 pound keyboard controller and travel very light. He uses his with the Bose PAS and uses a luggage carrier to tranport his gear which all fits into the trunk of his car.

Also, interestingly enough, I am now a Ketron dealer. I had thought about this for quite some time and decided to add that as one of the companies and products I sell. I am in the process of adding other products at this time, and is the reason I haven't been around here much and have not been on Skype.

Which of the three units will I keep? ha! I will probably be deciding in the next few days. They are all really very fine instruments in their own way.

Best
Scott Langholff
http://ScottLMusic.com

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online