SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#142941 - 09/13/05 10:09 AM Synthzone Member Demographics Questionaire: Where do YOU live/work/play?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Realizing that we not only hail from different parts of the world, but also from 'different regions' of our respective Country, I thought it would be fasinating to learn a little more about the area in which fellow SZ members live, work & play.

Do you live in the heart of a large (800,000+) urban city, in a medium-sized city (200,000+), in the suburbs, in a small town, or 'way-out' in the sticks?

What are the HIGHLIGHTS of your city/region: cuisine specialities, sports team(s), arts & music culture, business/industry, outdoor activities, scenic and/or historical interest & significance, etc.

What type(s) of musical entertainment venue(s) does your community offer? What are the top clubs, restaurants, and performance venues (of which feature live music) in your area?

Post pics or provide web link(s) with pics of your town/community.

Scott

#142942 - 09/13/05 10:30 AM Re: Synthzone Member Demographics Questionaire: Where do YOU live/work/play?
kkmusic2001 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
I live in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

I largely perform for Indian audience, usually weddings, private parties, re-unions, and some concerts (stage shows).

You can visit my website http://www.safarisounds.com to get an idea of the kind of music I do.

I own a PSR 2K (I recently purchased a PSR 3K) and an Roland XP60.

#142943 - 09/13/05 10:45 AM Re: Synthzone Member Demographics Questionaire: Where do YOU live/work/play?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I live and work[contractor] in Levittown, Pa...South east corner of Pa.
Levitt built 17,500 homes in 3 townships.
Most of my music work is in Wildwood, NJ...115 miles from home..
Here is a link to an air view of my street[Fawn Lane]...that's me working on the roof of my second floor addition....what do you mean ,you can't see me..

Just about every type of music is performed in my area..
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Levittown,+PA&ll=40.141812,-74.832773&spn=0.003592,0.006849&t=h&hl=en

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 09-13-2005).]

#142944 - 09/13/05 12:32 PM Re: Synthzone Member Demographics Questionaire: Where do YOU live/work/play?
SD_FAN Offline

Loc: São Paulo, SP / Brazil
Hi Scott.

While we don´t have more news about Tyros2, nothing better than knowing us each other.

I live and work in a central region of São Paulo, the Brazil´s largest city.
To see my store localization, search at Google Earth (-23.5824606323, -46.6469588255), and also you will see how large São Paulo city is.
It´s a city with a miscellany of cultures and races, founded in 1554 by Portugueses and today has a population nearly ten millions.

At this adress http://armandoricardi.multiply.com you can have some pictures and records that I made on my Tyros.

Cheers
Armando

#142945 - 09/14/05 04:20 AM Re: Synthzone Member Demographics Questionaire: Where do YOU live/work/play?
KFingers Offline

Loc: Brighton - UK
I live in Brighton in the UK which is a medium size town of around 350,000 on the South Coast about 35 miles from London.

Brighton is a lively cosmopolitan City and is considered the "Gay" capital of England. As a seaside town it is popular with holidaymakers and sightseers as there are strong Royal historical links as the Royal Pavillion palace with it's onion dome towers is sited here.

The population is predominantly young and the music scene for them is excellent with a variety of pubs and clubs to go for a very diverse range of musical tastes. There are also several street musicians around some of which are quite talented.

However, for the "older" musician like myself there are fewer and fewer places to play live music. I had a residency at a cabaret restaurant in the marina here for over 9 years but there are no more jobs like that around anymore (thank goodness I hear you say).

I now play mostly clubs like ex-servicemens, political and recreational (fishing, bowling and sailing etc). I also play occaisional hotel lounges in neighbouring Eastbourne as this is a town where "older" people take vacations.

I have seen the music scene change here over the years as I used to sell musical instruments. This was both Home and professional organs and keyboards inc Hammond, Lowrey (remember the MX1!!) Farfisa, Elka, Technics and Yamaha. I also sold group gear as well (Guitars, amps, drums, synths etc). Over the years it was very noticeable how the business from many pro musicians reduced and the other stuff for the younger people increased.

One good thing though - there is very little competition around here for musicians who do what I do so there is still a fair amount of work as long as you don't price yourself out of the market.

Regards - to all - Keith (KFingers)

#142946 - 09/14/05 04:49 AM Re: Synthzone Member Demographics Questionaire: Where do YOU live/work/play?
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
I was born, do live and will die in Frankfurt/Main - Germany!!!

Here's a link to Frankfurt/Main ...

Sorry, guys, but I don't have too much time to talk about my area and/or my life because I just have to rock...

------------------
Greetings from Frankfurt (Germany),
Sheriff ;-)

[This message has been edited by Sheriff (edited 09-14-2005).]

#142947 - 09/14/05 05:42 AM Re: Synthzone Member Demographics Questionaire: Where do YOU live/work/play?
Keith W. Bailey Offline

Loc: New Castle Indiana USA
I live in New Castle Indiana, a small city of 20,000. I am retired from the Postal Service and play for seniors. I regularly
read all the post on this site as well as psrtutorial forum. I keep up with you Scott, as well as Gary D. and many others. Yhanks for this thread.

------------------

#142948 - 09/14/05 06:23 AM Re: Synthzone Member Demographics Questionaire: Where do YOU live/work/play?
George V Offline

Loc: Sofia
I live & work in Sofia, the Capital of Bulgaria (a small country in south-eastern Europe).
My sity is +1,200,000 and offers a large number of places for entertainment.
Here are few pictures http://www.traveljournals.net/pictures/bulgaria/sofia/
The city where I live is situated in the foot of a high mountain. I like riding my bike in that mountain - there are nice hills, forests, scenery.
Well, if I had to speac about historical significance of my time, I'd mention that the city was founded by Romans 2'000 years ago. There are still some remains of the Roman town wall.

#142949 - 09/14/05 06:32 AM Re: Synthzone Member Demographics Questionaire: Where do YOU live/work/play?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
I live in the smallest state in the USA, Rhode Island. The city I live in Cranston is the 3rd largest city with a population of about 80,000 people.

The state of Rhode Island has lots of scenic coast line. It's called the "Ocean State" and is also home to Newport where the America's Cup Races were held for many years.

In the capital city of Providence there are many world class restaurants that rival and even surpass the quality restaurants found in the nearby Boston, Masschusetts. Many Rhode Islanders are fans of the Boston Red Sox baseball and the New England Patriots football team. I do like the Patriots, but am a New York Yankee fan.

My full time gig is as an Information Technology Coordinator for a three office law firm in the neighboring state of Massachsetts. If it plugs into an electrical outlet I'm responsible for it, that includes the coffee machine as well

I've played piano since I was in my early teens. A few years ago I purchased a Clavinova CVP 107 and discovered it was much more fun than just playing an acoustic piano. In October of 2004 I decided to start playing gigs at retirement homes and any other venues that would hire me. I started out using a DGX505 , which I traded after about 6 weeks for a Casio Priva 400. But still wasn't satisfied with the sound or styles of the 400. I was a little reluctant to purchase a PSR 3000, since it only had 61 keys. But bought one anyway and haven't looked back. I adjusted to the 61 keys in a couple of weeks. If I'm doing a gig where I want to play solo piano and need 88 keys I take along the Casio and use it as a controller board for the PSR3000.

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 09-14-2005).]

#142950 - 09/14/05 07:04 AM Re: Synthzone Member Demographics Questionaire: Where do YOU live/work/play?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I live in an urban/suburban/rural city of about 1 million people ... only here they call it a State !!! Rhode Island !!! ...
... 1MM people and there are about 29 municipalities, each with their own mayor or town council, police and fire departments, school boards etc., etc. ... talk about redundancy ...
The state it mostly WASPs and Italian-Americans ... The capitol city, Providence, has become "The Rennaissance City" ... there has been an amazing upgrade over the last 20 years, started by a former mayor, who unfortunately is now in a federal prison ...
The city provides excellent theater, music, and art venues ... and is a major college site with Brown U, Rhode Island School of Design, Providence College, and Johnson & Wales U among the top ...
Restaurants of all price levels are GREAT and several offer live music ...
Newport, of course, is a MAJOR tourist destination, as well as the site for the Newport Jazz Festival ...
I've played at several of the better restaurants and CCs, as well as a number of senior associations...
A major summer attraction in Providence is 'Waterfire' which brings thousands of people downtown...
Here are a couple of links ... http://www.waterfire.org/photos/index.html
http://www.50states.com/facts/rdisl.htm

Come and visit sometime ...
t.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online