SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#133561 - 07/20/05 01:38 PM BOSE PAS is a WINNER!!!
Dnj Offline

After first performing at Frans daughters wedding last year with the Bose PAS.... I had another opportunity this week to go to a local Guitar Center with Fran and really give it a full performance volume private test drive using my 3k keyboard and mic in the pro audio sound room with the doors closed.......OMG what a great clear pure sound........I pumped that baby up and did about a 20 minute song set full force as if I was on stage.....I was so impressed that I will be buying one next week....Highs were searing, Lows thumped, My vocals came thru the mix with outstanding brilliance, .the clarity throughout the whole range was excellent….easily adjustable with the included remote control…..its so unique from top to bottom and well worth the $1999.99 price tag too, it will be so easy to transport also vs. my current system [Mackie 350‘s/w/Roland sub…..now I know what Uncle Dave, Eddie Shoemaker, & Gary Diamond are all raving about….I cant wait to try this BOSE PAS system on stage…
I’ve heard nothing but good things about it. If you get a chance you should give it a tryout ASAP!!

More to come for sure……….
http://www.bose.com

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 07-20-2005).]

#133562 - 07/20/05 01:53 PM Re: BOSE PAS is a WINNER!!!
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Good for you Donny ... best of luck with it ....
t.

#133563 - 07/21/05 08:05 AM Re: BOSE PAS is a WINNER!!!
Dnj Offline

Tony....I'll keep you updated for sure on the PAS after I perform with it at various venues...

Here are some DEMO Videos you can watch online on the Bose PAS system that really explain how it works.
http://www.shawnsmith.com/bose/video.htm

#133564 - 07/21/05 08:48 AM Re: BOSE PAS is a WINNER!!!
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Donny, assuming you're still utilizing a Yamaha arranger keyboard, curious how you've overcome the terrible phase cancellation problem which occurs when playing Yamaha 'stereo sampled' voices like: Grand Piano, thru a mono output. Are you able to utilize Yamaha's 'stereo sampled' choice instrument voices or are you now limited to the keyboard's mono GM voices only?

I recall Gary Diamond (TravelinEasy) saying he was somehow able to tweak the GM voices to sound acceptable thru the Bose PAS. I'd like to hear MORE DETAILS on this. Does acceptable mean attaining the sound quality of the PSR3000/Tyros' choice instrument voices, or merely a half hearted compromise? As you all remember I too had auditioned the PAS (with my Tyros keyboard setup) on several occasions, both in the studio as well as on a gig, and could never get my Tyross stereo sampled instrument voices, particularly the "Grand Piano" (most important for my playing performance) to sound even marginally acceptable. LIVE piano playing requires the acoustic piano to sound LIVE, and in my tests thru the Bose PAS, the Grand Piano sounded absolutely DEAD!

Donny, Eddie, Uncle Dave, and other Yamaha Arranger Keyboard- Bose PAS owners, I'd like to learn how each of you has overcome the problem of Stereo Phase Cancellation with your PAS setup, as I'm willing to give the Bose PAS system another shot if this really can be resolved. Thanks. - Scott

#133565 - 07/21/05 09:02 AM Re: BOSE PAS is a WINNER!!!
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Here are some DEMO Videos

Just checked out the videos... great sell, definitely has me thinking.

#133566 - 07/21/05 09:28 AM Re: BOSE PAS is a WINNER!!!
Dnj Offline

Scott although I only auditioned the PAS the other day & I'll be buying one next week, I personally didnt hear a big difference when I played different pianos either solo or layered w/styles in arranger mode. It actually sounded better and so much more clearer and crisp then my current system even though its Mono.....that was one of my concerns also......but this system is not like a conventional sound system that we are used too. Uncle Dave has told me this from the start but until you approach this with a new knowlege in a BOSE Pas mindset you start to realize whats happening......Have you watched the PAS Videos DEMOS? As far as tweaking GM Piano sounds I will let Gary D, U Dave, Eddie S, chime in with their thoughts on the subject ok?

#133567 - 07/21/05 10:15 AM Re: BOSE PAS is a WINNER!!!
Dnj Offline

Glenn........If ya get a chance go try one out at a GC store using
YOUR OWN Gear......thats the only way to know if its right for you....

Good Luck

#133568 - 07/21/05 11:45 AM Re: BOSE PAS is a WINNER!!!
Route 66 Offline

Loc: Braganca, Portugal
WHAT??? Donny's crazy about the PAS??? I can't believe it, Donny, after all the skeptic thoughts about non-stereo systems! Well it seems you finally auditioned it 'properly'.

I did exactly like you to test my system: brought my Tyros and my usual microphone, and headed to the Bose distributor. Tested for an hour and came back one week later to buy it.

Scott, if your grand piano sounded 'absolutely dead' to your ears, I suspect you didn't play long enough with the presets. It takes some time to find the right way to use this system. In my experience it MAKES a difference connecting both L & R channels to two PAS channels, instead of only using one summed L/R channel. Give it a second try, Scott.

-- José.

#133569 - 07/21/05 12:20 PM Re: BOSE PAS is a WINNER!!!
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
José is right on.

Before you can get the max benefit of the PAS you need to perform the “stage gaining” per their instructions. It’s a one-time deal. Once you set it, you can forget it.

All the PAS units come loaded with v1 of their presets. I didn’t begin to smile until I 1) tweaked the EQ within my kb and 2) then found the most appropriate preset in one of the channels (which, for me was # 05).

Then I downloaded the v2 presets and installed them. I found two new ones that really made me smile (55 & 57).

Then, at Gary’s suggestion, I ran L&R out of the kb and plugged into channels 1 & 2. WOW.

Placement of the PAS unit and its sub is also critical in getting the most of the system…and that can change with each venue.

I’m still learning…but enjoying it more everyday.

Eddie

#133570 - 07/21/05 12:25 PM Re: BOSE PAS is a WINNER!!!
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Jose, I'm sure I plugged the TWO discrete audio main outputs (on my Tyros) to two separate audio inputs on the PAS. I suspect my problem may have been with the preset EQ settings I used on the PAS itself.

It's been over a year since I auditioned the PAS, and as I recall reading, Bose fairly recently (within the last year) updated the PAS to now include more EQ setting options. Is this true?

Jose, please share with me exactly which specific Bose PAS: 'presets' & 'eq settings' you used in order to get the Tyros stereo sampled "GRAND PIANO" patch to sound satisfying. Once you do this, I'll be sure to take my Tyros into my local Guitar Center Store and give the Bose PAS another audition (with YOUR settings this time). Thanks. - Scott

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online