SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#158197 - 08/17/05 07:20 AM Brown-outs--a potential disaster
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Those of us who reside in the mid-Atlantic region are well aware of brown-outs, times when the electric company lowers line voltages to prevent a total blackout. This past Sunday was no exception.

The heat index that day hit 107 degrees in our area, thus everyone that had a air conditioner was running it full blast by high noon. Temperatures soared into the upper 90s and the humidity was nearly 100 percent. The air felt so thick you could almost slice it with a knife--not a good day to be performing outdoors.

Well sports fans, that's where several of us were--out in the blast furnace playing our hearts out and singing to crowds that were too exhausted to do much more than drink cold beer and take a leisurely dip in the warm waters of Chesapeake Bay.

When I set up I happened to notice the lights in the pavilion where I would perform was a bit dim looking. Oh well, not a big deal, or at least that's what I thought. The lights were dim because the brown-out voltage was down to 95 volts--not the normal 120 volts that is available most of the time.

After setting up and turning on all the equipment, it became very obvious that the screen on the PSR-3000 was not nearly as bright as usual. Additionally, the laptop screen also seemed dim. The most startling thing that happened was the Digitech Vocalist VR suddenly turned off, then rebooted, and turned off again. This happened repeatedly. Additionally, the Digitech emitted a weird ocilating sound that I had never experienced. A few minutes later, the guy who was supposed to slice the pit beef said he could barely get his electric slicer to run. An electrician measured the line voltage and quipped "What do you expect--there's only 95 volts coming out of the outlets. You'll be lucky if you don't fry the motor."

At that point I disconnected the Digitech from the system, fired my mic directly through the keyboard and was able to easily get through the day. As it turns out the Digitech's power supply will not operate properly with line voltages lower than 110 volts. Upon arriving home, I plugged everything in and checked out the system--everything is fine.

Again, I cannot stress enough the value of having spares and backup devices. In this caase a simple XLR to 1/4 adapter cable saved the day by allowing me to plug the mic directly into the keyboard. Without that inexpensive cable, the day would have been lost, 200 people would have been mad as hell at me, and I would have lost lots of jobs from them in the future. As it turned out, they loved the music, I booked several more jobs and the beat went on.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#158198 - 08/17/05 07:38 AM Re: Brown-outs--a potential disaster
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Gary...

Glad to know everything worked out for ya... and thanks for the heads up. 'Plan ahead' and 'always be prepared' can really save the day, as you so well demonstrated.

Glenn

#158199 - 08/17/05 08:11 AM Re: Brown-outs--a potential disaster
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Gary, this is something that should be part of 'force majeure' in a contract. If it's not already. Preferable, spelled out explicitly.

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#158200 - 08/17/05 09:10 AM Re: Brown-outs--a potential disaster
girljam Offline

Loc: FL
excellent advice gary - thanks for the gentle reminder!!

glad things worked out ok for you!

Jill

PSR S970, PSR S910, ShureSM57 mics, and way too much misc.

#158201 - 08/17/05 09:37 AM Re: Brown-outs--a potential disaster
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Great point Gary.

I take a Voltage Regulator with me on all gigs. Electrical service at some of the venue's I play at are quite questionable, especially weddings with outdoor tents.

The voltage regulator will ensure 120 voltage for as long as the battery is charged and also clip any spikes above 120.

I use a small APC unit which is heavy, but very portable.

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#158202 - 08/17/05 05:26 PM Re: Brown-outs--a potential disaster
rattley Offline

Loc: Punta Gorda Florida USA
I too use a APC unit all the time at home. I don't experience brownouts that often here, but lightning and voltage spikes happen all the time. I've purchased 4 replacement APC units over the years at $100 each...........some of them had their insides totally melted!!.....................but have never lost any of my computer or music gear. As a utility mechanic we use these same APC units to protect the PLC controllers in many of the electrical panels where I work. They are very reliable and durable. -charley

#158203 - 08/17/05 06:56 PM Re: Brown-outs--a potential disaster
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
How much power can the APC units handle. Keep in mind that the Bose PAS is 1400 watts, plus all the other gear probably draws at least 500 more watts. Probably pusing the dickens out of 2000 watts total.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online