SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#192052 - 08/10/05 03:20 AM Keyboards
doc-z Offline

Loc: Norway
I'm in the market for a new keyboard. I haven't used one for a long time. The last keyboards I had was a Roland D-20 and a GEM CD-2 Arranger.
I'm primarily a pianist, but I would love to get into the "One-man-band" scene, to make more cash. Therefore I need a keyboard, since my CD-2 is acting up on me, it doesn't work, and I can't seem to find anyways of reseting it to factory preset.
So I was looking at the Roland EXR-7S, it looks fab on the demo videos available, but everyone I talk to says stay away, Yamaha or Korg is the way to go. So I tried a PA-50 in my local music store, and I have to say, I was not impressed. It sounded very "Keyboard". Like a Polish one-man-dance-band. Most people are telling me to throw in more bucks and get either the PSR-3000, or the Tyros. Theese sound great on the demovideos also, but they have less keys than the EXR-7, but more styles and such. The EXR-7 looked like a great live too, which is what I will be using it for, but everyone I talk to still says stay away. Is the PSR-3000 or Tyros really worth the extra bucks? They are like three times more expensive than the roland. The PA1XPro from Korg also looks good, but it's expensive. I've listened to demos of the Yamaha 9000 Pro, but it too sounds "Keyboard". The Roland G-70 looks like a great tool, and probably may suit my needs, but it's horrendiously expensive! Is it really that much better?

Opinions and advice needed!

Doc-Z

#192053 - 08/10/05 05:38 AM Re: Keyboards
Artaher Offline

Loc: Madrid, Spain
The great difference is that Roland EXRs can't edit styles and has less possibilities, its operative system is very tedious (PSR is much more easy to operate, and has a better screen), and they are less styles for it on the net.
But... EXRs likes more professional, its voices are good, its key feel is a lot better, it has more keys, it is better built, and is less expensive.
So... it depends what you want more.

#192054 - 08/10/05 06:31 AM Re: Keyboards
Mainer Offline

Loc: Saco, Me
Doc-Z

There are a lot of terrfic products out there. I've had a PSR 2000, a Technics KN7000, and a Genesys. I personaly like the General Music Genesys the most. It sounded big, has great styles, and is easy to set up and navigate. The keyboard feel is perfect for me as well. I just sold my Genesys and am replacing it with the Genesys XP module. My best advice is let your ears be your judge. Then find a something that suits you for key feel and ease of operation.

Jerry

#192055 - 08/10/05 06:33 AM Re: Keyboards
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Do a search on SZ, General arranger for EXR-5.
There is a detailed review..

I looked at the DGX305 because I wanted lyrics to read with a SMF, but the print was so small it was not usefull in a performance situation..[ I wanted a inexspensive keyboard to leave on the stage]..
The EXR has better sounds , feels better[full size keys]..as for user friendly , I prefer the Roland..It is what you are use to..I have never found the PSR's easier to use than the Roland comparable instruments..
Play them and let your ears and hands tell you what you need to know and want..

AS for styles they are easily found with this membership at ZS..
How many do you want for your "NEW" Roland?
Do you need the Yamaha styles , Korg styles Ketron, etc,,to play on a Roland?....Just ask here..

If you go with a Yamaha, the same style support is here at ZS.

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 08-10-2005).]

#192056 - 08/10/05 06:44 AM Re: Keyboards
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA

#192057 - 08/10/05 07:02 AM Re: Keyboards
loungelyzard Offline

Loc: North Eastern Calif.
Doc Z

You're faced with the same problem a lot of us has, want the top sounds in a 76 semi weighted board.

If you could do 61 keys, the psr3000 is a good board for price and moveability, or a used tyros maybe.

I suggest revisting the 9000 pro, with the right sound system, and some twinking on the eq's they have a great sound, and used price. Its a great board for a pianist. They're a tad heavy, but built for hard use,and with a HDD installed gives you thousands of the yamaha type styles. Nice piano feel.

Just my opinion, hope you find the right one..........Pose

------------------
Support the arts
FEED a Musician
Cheers....Pose

#192058 - 08/10/05 07:21 AM Re: Keyboards
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Doc-Z

Most of my playing in years past had been done on piano with 88 keys. Thru the years I've had a variety of instruments Rhodes suitcase, Kurzweil k1200. Bottom line was I always played instruments with 73 or more keys. Last October I decided after too many of years of just playing at home decided to start playing as a OMB. I tried the 88 key DGX 505, but that just didn't have it, I then purchased a Casio Privia PX400r. Had a nice acoustic piano action, but still not enough styles and features to satisfy what I really needed. Fast forward to late April this year I purchased a PSR 3000. I had concerns that 61 keys would just not cut it. WRONG. I quickly adjusted to the action and 61 keys and absolutley love the 3000. When I'm hired for the occasional wedding cocktail hour where I'm not depending on the arranger features, I use the Casio with the 88 keys.

As Gary Diamond says," Buy the 3000 and don't ever look back." You may want to also check out http://www.psrtutorial.com

#192059 - 08/10/05 07:54 AM Re: Keyboards
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Yes, it's a little old, but the Ketron SD1 exactly fits what you want. 76 keys, great sounds, light weight, sturdy construction, wonderful feel. Styles readily available. Complete programability.
DonM

#192060 - 08/10/05 11:17 PM Re: Keyboards
doc-z Offline

Loc: Norway
Hello again, and thank you for your replies.
I revisited the 9000pro, I got a link from a friend of someone who posted demos of his live work online. The guys name was Esh and supposedly uses the 9000pro exclusively. His demos sound real good, but some of the voices sound "old" compared to the demos of other keyboards. I particulary like the strings and horns of his demos, they really sound alive. But the piano is a bit thin to my taste, and the guitars and basses are really not good compared to the others I've heard.

I had an idea, what if someone posted a midifile, then people with different keyboards could customize that midifile and play it through their keyboards, and post a MP3 of their keyboard playing that file, that way we could easilly compare keyboards.

The midifile should be a short song, featuring different instruments, strings, horns, piano, organs and guitars. Maybe 12 bars long?

That way people could really tell which keyboard they think sound best.

Doc-Z

#192061 - 08/11/05 12:48 AM Re: Keyboards
eddiefromrotherham Offline

Loc: Rotherham,England.
Quote:
Originally posted by doc-z:
I had an idea, what if someone posted a midifile, then people with different keyboards could customize that midifile and play it through their keyboards, and post a MP3 of their keyboard playing that file, that way we could easilly compare keyboards.

The midifile should be a short song, featuring different instruments, strings, horns, piano, organs and guitars. Maybe 12 bars long?

That way people could really tell which keyboard they think sound best.

Doc-Z

This is OK for someone who has not yet heard too many different KB's.
Posting your MP3 will be a problem. Not possible on this forum.
cheers
Eddie

------------------
Eddie from Rotherham
www.yamahakeyboards.info

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online