SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#205403 - 07/30/05 11:32 PM What's the MIDI controller number for tuning?
chony Offline

Loc: New York
I recorded my grandfather (88 years old) singing some family songs, and want to now add background music. Problem is that some of his singing is slightly off tune (to within half a note). Instead of tuning his voice - which I think would take away from his personality - I want to detune the piano accompaniment. I've already laid the tracks and now want to add the gradual detuning - but can't work out what the MIDI controller number is. I'm using a Yamaha Tyros. Anyone?

While we're at it, where can I get a full list of Yamahas MIDI controller number protocol?

Thanks, Chony.

#205404 - 07/31/05 02:47 AM Re: What's the MIDI controller number for tuning?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Chony
I don’t have a Tyros, but looking at the Yamaha Support Site you should have a Data list Document with your Tyros, which gives all the information on the Tyros Midi Spec.
If you do not have this document, then follow the link below, and type Tyros in the search box, you will then be able to download the Data list as a PDF file.
Hope this helps.

Bill
http://www.yamaha.co.jp/manual/english/result.php?div_code=emi

[This message has been edited by abacus (edited 07-31-2005).]

#205405 - 07/31/05 03:08 AM Re: What's the MIDI controller number for tuning?
Roel Offline

Hi Chony,
What you need is the 'Data List' of Tyros where on page 48 you'll find :

Master Tune
address (hex) 00 00 00 (-102.4... 0 ... +102.3 (cent)

address 00 00 01 (1st bit3-0 --> bit 15-12)
address 00 00 02 (2nd bit3-0 --> bit 11-8)
address 00 00 03 (3rd bit3-0 --> but 7-4)

I think your idea is not as good as it sounds, because a piano with an 'instable' tuning sounds terrible

What I suggest is : Do some pitch correction on your father's voice.... let's say 50% of what is needed to adjust fully. Now the piano keeps the same tuning and the voice personality stays.
Antares is a nice pitch-correction plugin.

[This message has been edited by Roel (edited 07-31-2005).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online