SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#202231 - 07/21/05 10:22 PM OT: Is it damaging to hotplug an external Harddrive?
chony Offline

Loc: New York
I just bought a Lacie 250GB HD, and every time I hotplug it, the computer kind of tells me off and tells me to "eject" it first. Is there any damage done to the hardware if I don't eject? (I make sure that any software or files running of it are closed before I unplug it anyway - so I'm not worried about that.)

Thanks, Chony.

#202232 - 07/21/05 11:40 PM Re: OT: Is it damaging to hotplug an external Harddrive?
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
If I understand correctly, it is a usb external drive?

If the above is correct you must eject the drive before actually unplugging it. The pc may report that a copy is over, but sometimes files are still kept in a cache.
Eject flushes this cache and makes sure files are not still open.

#202233 - 07/24/05 01:13 AM Re: OT: Is it damaging to hotplug an external Harddrive?
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Quote:
Originally posted by trident:
If I understand correctly, it is a usb external drive?

If the above is correct you must eject the drive before actually unplugging it. The pc may report that a copy is over, but sometimes files are still kept in a cache.
Eject flushes this cache and makes sure files are not still open.

Its a FireWire 800 Drive.

So the damage is to the files or to the longevity of the HD?

Thanks, Chony

#202234 - 07/24/05 07:24 AM Re: OT: Is it damaging to hotplug an external Harddrive?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Chony,

It's not healthy for either. There is a small icon on the lower right corner of the screen that is used for this purpose. It looks like a green arrow over a rectangle. Double click the arrow and a box will open that provides the option that permits the USB device to be safely unplugged.

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online