SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#184340 - 06/13/05 12:39 PM Guitar Chord Playing
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
I play with a guitarist and occasionally give him chords with a specified root, e.g. D7/F#, C/G.

Does this mean anything to a guitarist?, my guy looks blank at me.

If I give him G/F, I have to explain this is G7. Am I being unrealistic to think he should be able to figure this out, or should I spell it out for him?

Graham

#184341 - 06/13/05 01:27 PM Re: Guitar Chord Playing
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
If you say "G/F" then you really mean "G7"???

Is that any free style???
I've thought we would have a unitary script form and spelling for music notes. If you talk about "G7" then you should better say "G minor 7". Or "G played with a small septime" because that's historic...

------------------
Greetings from Frankfurt (Germany),
Sheriff ;-)

[This message has been edited by Sheriff (edited 06-13-2005).]

#184342 - 06/13/05 02:33 PM Re: Guitar Chord Playing
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
The best suggestion would be to have him visit one of the many web pages that show the guitar tabs. Most of us old country boys know how to play a G7, but a G/F just ain't in our heads!

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#184343 - 06/13/05 02:42 PM Re: Guitar Chord Playing
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Inversions like we are used to play on a keyboard don't mean much to a guitar player: they think of "frets" instead. So, better tell him to play just a D7 or a C or and then leave to his musical taste to find the proper position on the guitar neck.
As a general rule, the chords played on a guitar shouldn't overlap (in terms of frequencies) with the chords played on the keyboard, to avoid the so called "sonic mud".
The same rule applies for the bass player and whatever is played with the left hand on the keyboard.

#184344 - 06/13/05 02:54 PM Re: Guitar Chord Playing
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by PraiseTheLord:
I play with a guitarist and occasionally give him chords with a specified root, e.g. D7/F#, C/G.

I'm not 100% sure what you're asking but what you said above means whatever chord you said plus the next note after the slash as the root. Tell it to him that way. To explain that it means what note to play as root. For instance C/G being C chord with G (bass note) played on his 6th-string. Same thing with D/F#, it's just a D chord with F# at fret 2 on the sixth string. G/F is rather unusual. If you are wanting a G7 but you want F as the bass note, you'll have to tell him that, else, he'll just play a G7 chord with G note in the bass position.

#184345 - 06/14/05 03:01 AM Re: Guitar Chord Playing
strojnik Offline

Loc: Slovenija, Europe
Quote:
Originally posted by PraiseTheLord:

If I give him G/F, I have to explain this is G7. Am I being unrealistic to think he should be able to figure this out, or should I spell it out for him?

Graham

Hi,
If I'am informed right G/F does not mean G7. G/F means: chord G with bass note F. So keyboard player plays G-chord and the bass guitarist note F. But I don't know how It sounds in practice.

------------------
Nice day!
Igor
Europe-Slovenija

#184346 - 06/14/05 05:13 AM Re: Guitar Chord Playing
The Insider Offline

Loc: Buckinghamshire,England
It is often impossible to voice a guitar chord the same as a keyboard - for example to play D/F# you have to ask the guitarist to fret on F# playing a C shape, certain chords are virtually unplayable in the (requested) guitar variation and some are quite natural, especially those involving any of the open strings. Its usually better to listen to what the guitar can do and compensate with the keyboard to get the required inversion/layering. It will also sound more natural (obviously). This also transfers over into programming guitar parts - Think of the shape the guitar can physically play and then program those notes only.

#184347 - 06/14/05 09:45 AM Re: Guitar Chord Playing
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
It's pretty straightforward stuff...this type of description is the chord and a designated bass note which is not the one in the standard chord configuration. Using optional bass notes adds much to the dynamic of the instrument and often separates the
advanced players from others.

Russ

#184348 - 06/14/05 10:19 AM Re: Guitar Chord Playing
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by The Insider:
It is often impossible to voice a guitar chord the same as a keyboard - for example to play D/F# you have to ask the guitarist to fret on F# playing a C shape...

Huh? It's simply a normal D chord plus your thumb fretting 6th-string, second fret... 200232.

------------------
Me Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#184349 - 06/14/05 11:19 AM Re: Guitar Chord Playing
RW Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Igor (strojnik)

You are correct! A G/F is not a G7.

Mostly, guitarists ought not to concern themselves with what's on the right side of the slash. So if you want the guitarist to play a G7th and there is to be an F bass.. it ought to be presented as G7/F.

I play both guitar and keyboards and when playing guitar I only pay attention to the right side of the slash when it's convenient to do so, such as was mentioned earlier the C/G and D/F# are easy and convenient. But a G/F or G7/F is not easy and as a guityar player will just forget the F bass completely. Now the Bass player ought to make sure he pays complete attention to the right side of the slash.

When playing keys I pay attention to both sides of the slash. If I saw a G/F, you would not hear me play a G7th. You'd hear a G with an F bass note.

Peace
Bob
<><

[This message has been edited by RW (edited 06-14-2005).]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online