SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#129978 - 05/06/05 05:15 AM MP3 made with OMB
Jos Maas Offline

Loc: Hantum, The Netherlands
There where some requests last year for an OMB MP3 demo. I replied that the sound will depend mainly on the synthesizers that you use with it.

But now Philip Perelman announced his latest MP3 of the month in the OneManBandGroup Forum, and he said: "This one was mainly done with OMB".

You can hear and download the MP3 and MIDI file at:
http://www.sucrepop.com/079elletemporte.html

The vocals, electric guitar and some "some change and tweaking" were added after OMB.

For me this song is a great example of what studio musicians can do with OMB.

Jos
http://www.1manband.nl

#129979 - 05/07/05 11:59 AM Re: MP3 made with OMB
Captain Proton Offline

Quote:
The vocals, electric guitar and some "some change and tweaking" were added after OMB.
I like the vocals and the electric guitar. At least they sound reasonably professional (except for the few times the singer is out of tune).

The drums and brass sound "keyboardy". The drums sound like they are mostly a 1-bar pattern on repeat. The brass sounds "flat": no glissandos or (de)crescendo's. Can't tell whether they're Roland or Yamaha though.

There is little dynamics in the drums as well. It could use some cymbals to spice it up a little.

The elements you have added outside of OMB make it sound reasonably well, but the OMB-part sounds very '90-keyboardish.

This demonstration does not improve my appreciation of OMB

#129980 - 05/07/05 02:00 PM Re: MP3 made with OMB
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Quality is a function of the Audio equipment, style programming, effects and the sounds/instruments.....and less to do with OMB.

#129981 - 05/07/05 04:30 PM Re: MP3 made with OMB
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Frank, I am glad you explained the correct response to Captain Proton..

#129982 - 05/07/05 05:33 PM Re: MP3 made with OMB
Roel Offline

I listened both the MP3 and Midi-file.
On some points Captain Proton (Electron's brother?) is right.
The singer is pretty much out of tune some times (nothing to do with OMB)
The MP3 quality is bad because of low sampling-rate? (nothing to do with OMB)

I'm not sure what sound-source produces the sound.... the midi played on my Tyros sounds much better but the arrangement sounds .... well.... poor! IMHO (I'm sorry Jos)

I'm not sure either how/where to use OMB :

a. At home creating MP3's for performing? (Like Band in a Box)

b. On stage with laptop, masterkeyboard and soundsource ?

If OMB only is a software arranger that needs a PC(laptop), keys and HQ soundsource, I think the needed money will exceed 1500 Euros..... a brand new PSR3000 costs less

#129983 - 05/07/05 07:19 PM Re: MP3 made with OMB

Roel, generally I stay away from discussion like these but I have no trouble at all using my system and a Yamaha style with OMB to sound signicantly better than the Tyros. The effects and sounds I use are many orders of magnitude superior than anything you will find in a hardware based module or keyboard.

As far as the singing goes it is not part of OMB and I will let those who know how to sing comment on that.

The serious composers and screen writers do not use a Tyros but they do use systems similar to mine .....usually without style or midi players.

[This message has been edited by Frank L. Rosenthal (edited 05-07-2005).]

#129984 - 05/07/05 07:24 PM Re: MP3 made with OMB
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Roel,
I won't comment on the mp3 itsef.

OMB can be as expensive or inexpensive as one chooses.
I gather most of us own a computer already or we wouldn't be here.
A midi keyboard of some sort whether it's a dedicated controller, a synthesizer, a digital piano, an arranger keyboard a kid's casio/yammi( as long as it has midi) choice is yours, you can even use the program without a keyboard if you choose.

Next soundsource, again you have the choice.
You can use synthesizers, samplers, arranger keyboards , softsynths ranging in price from $0 ( for some soundfonts) right up to Franks very elaborate studio setup.

Cost can be as little as $50 ( omb software) provided you own a p.c. up to many $1,000's

Flexibility & budget is the key.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by Roel:

If OMB only is a software arranger that needs a PC(laptop), keys and HQ soundsource, I think the needed money will exceed 1500 Euros..... a brand new PSR3000 costs less

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 05-07-2005).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#129985 - 05/07/05 07:26 PM Re: MP3 made with OMB

Rikki, you said it well!!!

#129986 - 05/08/05 04:35 AM Re: MP3 made with OMB
Roel Offline

Frank, Rikki,

Thanks for your comments!
Frank what kind of setup do you use with OMB?
It would be great to hear (MP3) what you created with OMB. (Tyros is my favorite at this time)

Roel

#129987 - 05/08/05 05:06 AM Re: MP3 made with OMB
Captain Proton Offline

Quote:
Frank, I am glad you explained the correct response to Captain Proton..
'xscuse me? Am I being censored here?

Quote:
Quality is a function of the Audio equipment, style programming, effects and the sounds/instruments.....and less to do with OMB.
You are right. But if you read my response, I am mostly criticizing the style programming: the one-bar-on-repeat drums and the little dynamics in the brass. They are part of the style programming. I'll admit the comment about the sounds being Yamaha's or Roland's had nothing to do with OMB.

I have little knowledge of OMB, I'll admit, but from what I know it is basically an auto accompaniment module. The style programming and transitions between style sections (fills) are important in an auto accmp so I believe I have a right to criticize those.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online