SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#157441 - 05/19/05 10:40 PM My Review of the G-70
JimP Offline

Loc: Richfield, Ohio USA
I purchased a Roland G-70 (version 1.10) and have owned it for about one month. I have also owned an SD-1, Tyros and Korg PA1XPro. At my church I also use a Triton Extreme, Roland RD700, and Yamaha Motif. Here are my impressions of the G-70 compared to the other arrangers I have owned:

Sounds
Quality of sounds is very subjective but this is my opinion. Even with OS version 1.10 there is too much reverb on some sounds and styles. I press the effects button then adjust the reverb and other effects to my taste and save it to a user program location. After adjusting the reverb I think the sounds are very comparable to the other top arrangers. I am mostly a piano player and the acoustic piano sound is the most important sound to me. The G-70 piano is outstanding. I am able to turn off the arranger function and enjoy playing solo piano. The Tyros has a very good piano but I think the G-70 is significantly better (part of this is due to the excellent semi-weighted action). The piano on the PA1XPro is extremely mediocre in comparison. Both the Tyros and PA1XPros have very good B3 organs but I think the G-70’s Virtual Tone Wheel technology is much better. There are physical drawbars that can be adjusted in real time. There are also controls for overdrive, leakage, percussion, rotary sound and vibrato/chorus that can be adjusted in real time. The B3 emulation is terrific. Other than piano and organs, I think the other sounds are very comparable. I like the electric pianos on the Tyros and PA1XPro better. Korg has better brass and accordions. Other sounds I like better on the Tyros. Some I like better on the G-70.

Styles
Quality of styles is also a matter of personal taste. All of the top arrangers have many good styles. Many of the G-70 styles have too much reverb. I adjust the reverb to my liking and save it to a user program. I like the intros, fills and endings much better on the G-70 than the Korg PA1XPro. With many styles on the PA1XPro, each variation would increase in volume compared to the preceding variation. Variation #4 would be significantly louder than variation #1. All fills were programmed at the same volume level as variation #4. If I played a fill when playing the first or second variation, the volume would surge for the one measure of the fill then decrease to its original level.
I talked to Korg’s US product manager for the PA1XPro and he confirmed that’s how the fills were programmed. The PA1XPro has extensive style editing features and the volume of the individual fills could be edited but it was a very tedious job.
On some styles besides the volume problem it seemed that the fill was not quite in sync with the rest of the style. I also like the G-70 intros and endings better than the PA1XPro. Many of the Korg endings were too long and too sophisticated sounding. They did not fit with the rest of the song. Ending #1 on the Roland produces a short and simple ending. I can play my own ending chord progression and hit ending #1 on the last measure and it sounds good. If I hit ending #2, it starts a short ending (usually 4 bars) but follows the chord progression that I play. This produces endings that fit with the song and do not sound canned. I also think the Tyros style controls are very good and usable.

Operating System
The Tyros has an excellent operating system and user interface. I think the G-70 is even better. The Korg’s interface is not as intuitive and is not as user friendly. Once you get used to it, it works okay but the others are much better.

Key Action & Build Quality
I think the semi-weighted key action on the G-70 is much better than the Tyros. I also think the build quality is much better. The PA1XPro build quality is also excellent and the key action is also very good. I like the key action on the G-70 slightly better.

Problems with the G-70
It is a large 76 note keyboard and very heavy. I have a Gator soft case with wheels. Between the combined weight of the keyboard and case and the large size, it is hard for me to transport the keyboard. This is not a problem for me because I only use it in my home studio and do not take it to gigs. If I needed to carry an arranger keyboard to gigs a few times a week I would use a Tyros or PSR 3000. Another big problem is Roland’s marketing strategy for the keyboard. Selling only through their CK dealers is a very poor decision. Most arranger players have not had the opportunity to even hear the keyboard. Most of the dealers that carry it have no idea how to use it or install an operating system upgrade. Most dealers ask for unrealistic list prices that are way too high.

Conclusion
I thought the Tyros was an excellent keyboard and I enjoyed playing it. The PA1XPro had more functionality (master controller features, style editing, sound editing, etc.) and good sounds but I could not live with the fills. For me, the G-70 gives more of the features I like in an arranger keyboard. I do not understand some of the extreme negative criticism of the board (it sounds like crap, the sounds are useless, etc.). Maybe: 1. The boards had the older operating system, 2.The operating was system was updated but not the resources, 3. The boards were defective, 4. The reverb needed more adjustment.

MP3 Files
I will record a few songs this weekend and post them so you can hear some of the styles and sounds.

#157442 - 05/20/05 01:55 AM Re: My Review of the G-70
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
JimP,

Thanks for one of the more lucid and intelligent reviews of the G70 I have seen thus far. Your objective review is much appreciated and I for one am still keeping an open mind on the G70 until I can test drive it myself.

Regards,
Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#157443 - 05/20/05 03:31 AM Re: My Review of the G-70
ironhill Offline

Loc: NRW, Germany
Hi JimP,
at least concerning your comparision the G-70 with the Tyros I can say: 'I totaly agree'. Thank you for your review. I play the Tyros in combination with the G-70 using Roland keys.
Regards,
Hanspeter

#157444 - 05/20/05 03:53 AM Re: My Review of the G-70
rolandfan Offline

Loc: South Africa
I think maybe our difference of opinion could also be because not all of us use the same sounds. For example, I did find the trumpets and choir voices on G70 to be good but I rarely use those sounds.. The sounds I use most are tenor sax,alto sax, soprano sax,flutes,accordions,guitars and for these sounds I felt the Tyros was far superior.

I have never before heard of an operating system upgrade to improve the sounds. This is a first for me. I thought they were always to correct functions.... Roland could have fixed this before releasing it because as it is it already has too many updates.....to me thats not good responsibility from a top company like Roland. My VA-5 if I recall had only one update in its lifetime..

#157445 - 05/20/05 03:58 AM Re: My Review of the G-70
rolandfan Offline

I also find the Intro, Fill Ins, and Endings buttons on the Tyros more logical that on the G70.

#157446 - 05/20/05 04:03 AM Re: My Review of the G-70
rolandfan Offline

oops sorry. This reply should have gone in the other thread

#157447 - 05/20/05 08:27 AM Re: My Review of the G-70
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Roland Fan,
Because the newer keyboards have flash memory which can be completely erased and replaced, many of the manufactures will add, replace of just tweak as they think is necessary. This goes for the Generalmusic Genesys, Ketron SD1 and now the Roland G70.
Those responsible for the release of a new keyboard often use programmers from all around the world to create the sounds and styles that we find. Not always do these first introduced products meet everyones needs and so modifications are made if Roland thinks we are right. I love a company who will listen and respond. It doesn't bother me in the least when I know that the first operating system might only be one of many to be released. All of the players with the Korg PA1XPRO have now downloaded through the Korg PA website at least 6 or more operating systems and including the one yesterday called 3.05, Korg has added an additional 30 or so sounds and 30 or so upgrades and new features. So, this is a very common thing.
Also, your mention of really needing great Breathy Tenor Sax sounds to be great, if you will read my post in the other topic started by you I believe, I specifically compared the Korg PA1XPRO, Ketron SD1plus and Yamaha PSR3000 to the G70's and in my opinion the G70 aced the others out. Again, we all have our different tastes, but I do have the luxury of having all these boards available to me in one shop with the same sound systems.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online