SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#176330 - 04/30/05 12:07 AM Cover tune Yesterday
beachbum Offline

Loc: Austin
I'm going to post this at night like I did 2 years ago... I woke up to 2 pages of flamming and how much I sucked... Lead by the pro, john smiles(can he even) and others... I hope to awake to flames... Maybe the forum has changed for the better.. Of course this was done on an arranger keyboard... which should make it not ot... http://chipos.com/mixdown.mp3

DJ waiting the flame

[This message has been edited by beachbum (edited 04-30-2005).]

#176331 - 04/30/05 12:17 AM Re: Cover tune Yesterday
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Beachbum,
I am listening to your song right now; I think that the arrangement is very well done (I like the piano comping and the strings in the background).
On the other hand, your voice seems a bit "behind" in the mix and I wouldn't mind to hear it a bit more "up-front", maybe lowering the strings, which tend to be at times too loud.
Since this is a candid review and I always tend to give constructive criticism (that is, if I don't like a song, I usually dont' comment anything, instead of writing banalities like "Thank you for sharing"), I will add that in the very first phrase of the song your voice seems to drift slightly out of tune (I am referring to the bit where you sing "All my troubles seem so far away"). Other than that, you pitch is very good and have to agree with Scott that your voice emission has improved a lot since your first songs.

#176332 - 04/30/05 12:24 AM Re: Cover tune Yesterday
beachbum Offline

Thanks Dreamer...
I did this in 10 minutes about a week ago when I heard the pro gave his fairwell speach... This is the tune i posted 2 years ago, and got flamed, I wanted to see how far I've come... And I had the same complaint 2 years ago... I don't know what it is about this one that makes me want to feel it more than sing it... Check out my originals http://www.soundclick.com/bands/0/dcallmusic.htm
I sure don't drift in those... But something about this one... I can't help it... I feel it's the way it should be done... Thanks for the listen..

I think I'm going to quit... You guys got me. Plus, I'm starting a new job and can't keep the kind of hours I need to compose... You guys win...
DJ
Unlike th pro, I quit...

#176333 - 04/30/05 12:30 AM Re: Cover tune Yesterday
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
DJ, come on now, enough with the pessimism. If you want to make it with your music in the music biz, you need to maintain a thick skin and persevere with a more postive attitude. Take your music anywhere and there will be at least an equal (and probably a lot more) people who will hate your music than love it. That's just the way of the world. That said, I myself have grown to appreciate your creative efforts, and the sincerity and angst expressed in your songs. I like the arrangement you used on Yesterday, and the vocals (though a tad rough in spots from a technical point of view) delivers the message, which is of foremost importance in a song. Keep going and don't let the nay-sayers allow you to put a negative spin on things. Life is good. - Scott

#176334 - 04/30/05 12:42 AM Re: Cover tune Yesterday
beachbum Offline

Dang Scott you got me!!
Everyone threatening to quit I thought I'd join in.... You right... It isn't polished; it took 10 minutes to do in a huff I was in. I suppose that words that some folks post years ago can build up... as for the covers, like this, that's why I do originals... nobody can tell if I behind!!! Thanks Scott...

#176335 - 04/30/05 01:54 PM Re: Cover tune Yesterday
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
DJ, I don't understand the negative comments...I think it sounded great..Your vocals remind me of Rachel Hunters X.....Rod Stewart..

#176336 - 04/30/05 02:31 PM Re: Cover tune Yesterday
Jenkins Offline

Loc: NC, USA
DJ, your efforts and those of others are one of the reasons that I try to come to this forum on a daily basis. I don't feel I am qualified to give you a technical review of your work, but I will tell you I enjoyed your interpretation, performance and willingness to share. Sometimes singing a song the way you want it done is enjoyment enough. DJ, keep em coming and be assured I am always willing to listen. Man if we all looked alike, sounded alike and thought alike...this would be a boring world.

Ricky

#176337 - 04/30/05 03:20 PM Re: Cover tune Yesterday
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
DJ: I hope you didn't misinterprete my comments. My technical remarks were only made as a point of reference.Some of my favorite singers (from Dylan, Hank Williams, and Rod Stewart) have voices rough around the edges, but that's what makes them special (and successful)and sets them apart from others. I never advocate technical perfection but instead, defining 'your own' sound to bring out your own unique 'personal' style. As I listen to each new song of yours, you're sounding less and less like 'Sting' and coming into your own. Bravo. Keep up the good work. - Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 04-30-2005).]

#176338 - 04/30/05 11:54 PM Re: Cover tune Yesterday
beachbum Offline

Thanks guys... Again this was a ten-minute effort... As my origs, are why I do this...
Thanks fran for the listen, and the history has been deleted... So, Thanks for the nice words...

Jenkins... Thanks for the time... check out my originals... all done with the psr2000...My tune, "goodbye" seems to be doing well... I wish more shared as well...

Scott,
Hey even in the old days you never took me behind the woodshed... And you know that cover tunes is not my reason to music... You've always had a positive thing to say... If I listen to the folks who use to judge on this board I would have never written "goodbye"

Thanks again,
DJ

#176339 - 05/01/05 10:07 AM Re: Cover tune Yesterday
MrEd Offline

DJ,
I am really enjoying the tunes.
And exactly what Ricky (Jenkins) said goes for me too.

Thanks.
Ed

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online