SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#179535 - 04/12/05 08:33 PM A suggestion to Yamaha
to the genesys Offline

Hay Yamaha, if the Tyros 2 is going to have 61 keys, I have a way you can try and please everyone.

Why not make a rack module of the Tyros 2? Have all the features of the Tyros 2 in a module.

Now before you say that would not sell, think for a minute. There are quite a number of persons that have been begging for a good 76 key arranger. If the Tyros 2 is not going to be that, you can let users get the great features of the Tyros 2 and use that with a 76 or even an 88 key controller of their choice. Hay, you can even get in to the arranger controller market if you want. Also, with the addition of a module, it would take the heat off of Yamaha regarding key feel on the Tyros. I don’t think there will be a poor sales record with the Tyros 2 because there are a lot of people who don’t really see the need, value and convenience of an arranger module and will still buy the Tyros 2 with 61 keys. If any thing, it will help the sales of Yamaha and get new consumers. Persons who don’t have Yamaha products or don’t have a Tyros, but have a keyboard or a keyboard set-up will be more inclined to buy a module to add to their set-up rather than thinking of incorporating a full keyboard.

But in order for this to be done, such a module would have to be affordable which I know if any one can make such a product affordable its Yamaha. How about it Yamaha; would you do it?

Please Please Please?!?!

#179536 - 04/12/05 08:52 PM Re: A suggestion to Yamaha
Pennywizz6 Offline

Loc: Shakopee, MN, USA
The concept is good, however the reality is slim. The Tyros has so many functions features, buttons, huge screen adn everything else making a rack module would be like 8 spaces! An arranger rack is almost unheard of due to the control of an arranged song via a rack would be hard to operate. If you really want 76 keys can you run the real Tyros as a module and use a midi or usb as a controller with 76 or 88 keys and so on?

Phil

#179537 - 04/12/05 09:46 PM Re: A suggestion to Yamaha
to the genesys Offline

Actually, Korg Ketron, Gem and Roland had arranger modules a few years ago, but that was when the concept of using arrangers for gigging was not as used as they are now. Some of the functions can be done on the controller keyboard if the user is not capable of using the buttons on the module in a live situation. People have used rac drum machines on gigs, and have done so successfully. So why not an arranger?

If this would be a major issue, Yamaha could even make it just a little bigger than a rac. But I still think that it would be a welcomed tool for the gigging one man band and traveling musician.

Why go through the hassle of logging around another keyboard when there could be a lighter and more practical solution in that of a module.

#179538 - 04/13/05 04:34 AM Re: A suggestion to Yamaha
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
If they wanted to make a module like that, I guess they would.

There are solutions, from a folding screen like technics kn7000 or like a laptop, to a 20x108x2 cm "break out" box containing the necessary aranger buttons (intro, vars, ending, OTS etc.) that you can put virtually everywhere, connected to the main unit or rack unit with a simple cable.

But usually, users' wishes and marketing plans do not mix well, especially in large enterprises. Marketing wants to be able to sell with the highest margin, and R&D for a new product is absorbing funds like a sponge. So, better in the long term to feed the public with evolutionary and not revolutionary ones. Then, after years of thirst, even muddy waters can taste like Evian.

What's holding Yamah or any manufacturer from producing something that users wish?
they have 76 keys mechanism, the sounds are already there, the memory cost is low, the OS is going to be "transferred" to the new keyboard and some things would be tweaked, marketing costs will be the same.

If you buy such a thing , and it does the job, you probably won't change in the years to come.

Fran Carango comes to mind, I don't know him personally, or have collaborated or anything, but I think I remember posts of his praising the Roland G1000 which is old enough. There are probably better boards out there, with better sounds and better this and better that, but this keyboard probably does the job well and that's why he keeps it? Others may do the same.

Bottom line, if it seems like it won't bring profit, companies will not do anything in a million years. We can dream all we want.

Sorry about the rant, back to work now.

#179539 - 04/13/05 04:35 AM Re: A suggestion to Yamaha
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
This topic has been discussed previously (started by me). You might want to re-visit that thread and look at those discussions.
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/010311.html

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#179540 - 04/13/05 06:30 AM Re: A suggestion to Yamaha
to the genesys Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
This topic has been discussed previously (started by me). You might want to re-visit that thread and look at those discussions.
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/010311.html

Thanks for bringing that thread (of which I participated in) up in this discussion. It only underscores that there is a basis for me to ask Yamaha to have the Tyros 2 in some type of a module.

I brought up this topic again 1. to take it alittle further to not just make a module with arranger functions but specifically with all the features of the new Tyros 2 and 2. to let Yamaha know that there is still an interest and to take advantage of such a concept with the Tyros 2. If they are going to make an arranger module, I want them to do it right!!!

Come on Yamaha do it before some of the other companies wise up!!

[This message has been edited by to the genesys (edited 04-13-2005).]

#179541 - 04/13/05 07:01 AM Re: A suggestion to Yamaha
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
The thing I found using both a Roland an later a Korg module is that you need many of the knobs and buttons nearby. The modules were more "table-top" than rack mount, but they were still somewhat bulky. They needed to be placed on top of or very near the controller keyboard and certainly did not work as seemlessly as an integrated unit.

I still support the idea of a module and would probably try another, but integrated arrangers seem to be way ahead of modules.

#179542 - 04/13/05 07:36 AM Re: A suggestion to Yamaha
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Kbrkr,
I remember the topic you started, i just didn't comment on that time, and found I couldn;t resist now.

I too would like a module. I do not gig, but a space saving module would suit me fine, containing all the sounds and styles.

#179543 - 04/13/05 09:18 AM Re: A suggestion to Yamaha
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
The positive thing about that previous thread, is that Steve Demming from Yamaha read it and passed the suggestion along to Headquaters. Whether or not it translates in to action is another story, but at least they ARE listening to new ideas.

If enough people supported an idea.....

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#179544 - 04/13/05 10:47 AM Re: A suggestion to Yamaha
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Quote:
Originally posted by Pennywizz6:
The concept is good, however the reality is slim. The Tyros has so many functions features, buttons, huge screen adn everything else making a rack module would be like 8 spaces! An arranger rack is almost unheard of due to the control of an arranged song via a rack would be hard to operate. If you really want 76 keys can you run the real Tyros as a module and use a midi or usb as a controller with 76 or 88 keys and so on?

Phil

I agree with Phil on this one. Proffesional musicians would not be interested in lugging two pieces of equipment, when they could be lugging 1 piece. You also have to put the module on something - another piece of equipment. A break out box - another piece of equipment. A controller keyboard whose buttons cannot control the module - na.
The best idea would be for Yamaha to build a keyboard with plugin keybeds.
Starkeeper

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online